This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Indeed, so far a very good distro.

One small problem is it's no longer possible to toggle the touchpad on/off.
      Last edited by Teunis; Mar 24, 2020, 04:44 PM. Reason: added touchpad

Comment

Another small problem that arose this morning is that Muon is no longer working. I found that it was no longer installed on my system and when I tried to install it, I got the error message
        Code:
        sudo apt install muon
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree       
        Reading state information... Done
        Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
        requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
        distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
        or been moved out of Incoming.
        The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
        muon : Depends: apt-xapian-index but it is not going to be installed
        E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
        This problem impacts all systems, so will have to wait for a fix.

Comment

Curious, here I don't have this problem.

Moun's history tab tells me it was last update yesterday the 23th.
          apt-xapian-index was part of the original install on the 6th and there has not been an update since.

Comment

Performing an update and full-upgrade on my 20.04 system 'as I type'. I noticed that:

Removing muon (4:5.8.0-1ubuntu5) ...
            Removing apt-xapian-index (0.49ubuntu3) ...
            Removing index /var/lib/apt-xapian-index...

I'll verify or disprove that Muon Package Manager isn't available after the full-upgrade completes.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Nope. Muon was removed. Here is the 'trail':

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

apt-xapian-index : Depends: python3-apt (>= 0.7.93.2) but it is not going to be installed

python3-apt is already the newest version (1.9.10).
              python3-apt set to manually installed.

So, it looks (to me) that the issue is a problem with packaging version information with python3-apt.

Comment

There is no breakage in the release pocket.

Again, this is because of using -proposed. The package is question causing it is python-apt.

Code:
                python-apt (1.9.10) unstable; urgency=medium

* Improve type annotations for apt_pkg.TagFile and apt_pkg.TagSection.
                  Thanks to Stuart Prescott for the report that object was ... wrong
                * [B]Break broken kthresher and apt-xapian-index versions[/B]
                One of the reasons python-apt is STILL in proposed, is that it causes other things to be removed and/or be uninstallable. In this case apt-xapian-index, which muon depends on.

This can be seen in the output of the proposed migration run.
                Code:
                trying: python-apt
                skipped: python-apt (38, 0, 58)
                 got: 51+0: a-17:a-8:a-8:i-2:p-8:s-8
                 * amd64: [B]apt-xapian-index, kde-full, kde-standard, kthresher, kubuntu-driver-manager, kubuntu-driver-manager-dbg, muon, packagesearch, ubuntu-kylin-software-center[/B]
                i.e. if python-apt was to migrate to release, that list of packages would break as a result. So migration is skipped, and it stays in proposed.

DON'T USE THE PROPOSED POCKET. It exists as a QA barrier to protect the release pocket from such breakage, NOT as a way to get cool new things sooner!
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Okay, I did have the proposed repository active. I just commented it out, updated the database (sudo updatedb) and simulated an install of muon:

apt-xapian-index : Depends: python3-apt (>= 0.7.93.2) but it is not going to be installed

python3-apt is already the newest version (1.9.10).
                  python3-apt set to manually installed.

So, here at least, I still can't install Muon after disabling the proposed repository.

Is the problem with python3-apt? There is a package called python-apt, and both packages have identical version information.
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 25, 2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Is the problem with python3-apt? There is a package called python-apt, and both packages have identical version information.
                    Yes, the python-apt I was referring to earlier is the python-apt source package from which python3-apt and python-apt debs are built. The actual deb with the breaks on apt-xapian-index is the python3 one.
                    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

So, if I purge python3-apt and install python-apt, I should then be able to install muon?

Added:

I just simulated the installation of python-apt:

The following additional packages will be installed:
                      libpython2-stdlib libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib python2 python2-minimal python2.7 python2.7-minimal
                      Suggested packages:
                      python-apt-dbg python-apt-doc python2-doc python-tk python2.7-doc binfmt-support
                      The following NEW packages will be installed:
                      libpython2-stdlib libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib python-apt python2 python2-minimal python2.7 python2.7-minimal
                      0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Is this the preferred way?
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 25, 2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

No, you need to downgrade it to the version in the release pocket

Comment

Hmm. Well, I went ahead and installed python-apt, which removed python3-apt. Still can't install Muon. So, should I/we 'downgrade to the version in the release pocket' or wait? And if the former, how does one do that?

Comment

Code:
                            sudo apt-get install muon apt-xapian-index python3-apt=1.9.8
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	2fe82071fb.png
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	644615

Comment

Running muon 4:5.8.0-1ubuntu5 here and even after around 500 updates, additions & removals muon and apt-xapian-index are still on my system.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                                Code:
                                sudo apt-get install muon apt-xapian-index python3-apt=1.9.8
                                Thank you. That works.

So, python3-apt is the 'necessary' package at version 1.9.8. What then is python-apt for, which is also at the same version?

Comment

Working...
                                X