This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Remove Drive

I plugged my external hard drive. Evidently it created 2 drives named New Volume. One is good to go, I can open files from it, etc. The other seems dead and doesn't offer the "safely remove" option. If I left click on it, the following msg appears atop Dolphin:

An error occurred while accessing 'New Volume', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sda6 at /media/richard/New Volume: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dm ask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda6" "/media/richard/New Volume"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0). Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount. Failed to mount '/dev/sda6': Operation not permitted The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

I can remove the "good" one and the "bad" one remains. How do I remove it? Even after I do a hard boot it's still there in Dolphin.
    Last edited by logan01; Jun 06, 2016, 03:14 PM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Will this work?

Use umount with Force option. if your device is /dev/sda6, use:
    sudo umount -f /dev/sda6
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

umount will not do anything, because as the error message in post #1 indicates, the file system is not mounted.

All umount does, is unmount file systems that are mounted.

Dolphin lists both mounted and unmounted file systems (devices).

Comment

Originally posted by Al1000 View Post
        umount will not do anything, because as the error message in post #1 indicates, the file system is not mounted.

All umount does, is unmount file systems that are mounted.

Dolphin lists both mounted and unmounted file systems (devices).
        Is there a way to remove it since I no longer have my external drive (device) hooked to my pc?
        HP15 -

Comment

Try deleting the configuration file. A new one should be generated when you start Dolphin.

1) Backup the old file:
          Code:
          cp ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc.backup
          2) Delete the old file:
          Code:
          rm ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc
          3) Reboot your computer

4) Open Dolphin. If everything works, proceed to the next step:

5) Delete the backup of the old file:
          Code:
          rm ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc.backup
          That should do the trick.

Comment

Did steps 1-4, twice. Did not remove device named New Volume. However, when I left clicked on it, instead of getting that lengthy error msg, it show it contains two folders; $RECYCLE.BIN (underlined) and System Volume Information. I stopped short of step 5.
            HP15 -

Comment

Can you post the output of:
              Code:
              sudo fdisk -l

Comment

Code:
                richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo fdisk -l
                [sudo] password for richard: 

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
                255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
                Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
                Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
                I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
                Disk identifier: 0x159542bb

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
                /dev/sda1               1   976773167   488386583+  ee  GPT
                Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
                richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
                HP15 -

Comment

Perhaps this is helpful.

HP15 -

Comment

Didn't realise you have GPT. In that case please post the output of:
                    Code:
                    sudo parted -l

Comment

Code:
                      richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo parted -l
                      [sudo] password for richard: 
                      Model: ATA ST500LT012-1DG14 (scsi)
                      Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
                      Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
                      Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name                          Flags
                       1      1049kB  683MB   682MB   ntfs            Basic data partition          hidden, diag
                       2      683MB   955MB   273MB   fat32           EFI system partition          boot
                       3      955MB   1089MB  134MB                   Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
                       4      1089MB  319GB   318GB   ntfs            Basic data partition          msftdata
                       7      319GB   327GB   8000MB  linux-swap(v1)
                       8      327GB   357GB   30.0GB  ext4
                       9      357GB   417GB   60.0GB  ext4
                       5      477GB   477GB   902MB   ntfs                                          hidden, diag
                       6      477GB   500GB   22.6GB  ntfs            Basic data partition          msftdata

richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
                      HP15 -

Comment

Oh crap. My apologies to all. I found this old thread of mine https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ng-for-Kubuntu and didn't realize I had New Volume from the get go. I hope Al1000 sleeps all day today / tomorrow. Now, I wonder why my external hard drive has that same name. Its always had that name in windows. Can I change its name to avoid confusion? I reckon I'll wait for one of yall's go-aheads before I call this thread solved.
                        Last edited by logan01; Jun 07, 2016, 08:18 PM.
                        HP15 -

Comment

Well I'm glad you found out what it was. I was beginning to suspect it was an actual partition when it was still there after deleting Dolphin's configuration file. You can see the partitions numbered, 4, 8, 9 and 6 in the output of parted -l, which are the four partitions that are showing up in Dolphin.

Can I change its name to avoid confusion?
                          Yes, you can change the "label." I usually use GParted for such tasks, and haven't used the partition manager that comes with Kubuntu before. Also, I don't know whether changing the label of a Windows partition would affect Windows, but hopefully someone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Al1000 View Post
                            Well I'm glad you found out what it was. I was beginning to suspect it was an actual partition when it was still there after deleting Dolphin's configuration file. You can see the partitions numbered, 4, 8, 9 and 6 in the output of parted -l, which are the four partitions that are showing up in Dolphin.

Yes, you can change the "label." I usually use GParted for such tasks, and haven't used the partition manager that comes with Kubuntu before. Also, I don't know whether changing the label of a Windows partition would affect Windows, but hopefully someone else does.
                            Thanks for all your help.
                            HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                            X