This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Muon Package Manager broken

Last night a huge update came down (well, it might have been earlier, but I updated my laptop last night). Muon Package Manager is now broken. A needed *-muon.so file can't be located, and in fact, isn't present anywhere on the PC. Muon Package Manager won't load and can't be reinstalled. Muon Discover works, and until Muon Package Manager is fixed, I do have Synaptic Package Manager, and it does launch/work.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 13, 2016, 12:29 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

muon is being replaced by plasma-discover ,,,,,,,,,,you can get muon back by installing both "libmuon and muon " at the same time .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ah. Thanks vinny. I do remember reading something about that.

Okay, apt does report that plasma-discover is already installed, but I can't find it in the K Menu or in the K Menu search. KRunner (Alt+F2) also doesn't find it.

Comment

ya ,,,,in the menu it is still called "muon discover" for some reason ...........and it still will not search up every thing ,,,,,,,like FFMPEG for example

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

At this juncture I do not like the direction Muon et al is being taken. Maybe it will improve, but if not I'll utilize Synaptic Package Manager for graphical searching, and will still use the CLI for package maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            At this juncture I do not like the direction Muon et al is being taken. Maybe it will improve, but if not I'll utilize Synaptic Package Manager for graphical searching, and will still use the CLI for package maintenance.
            +1 to that ......

it is nice to have a package program that has prity pictures and all ,,,,,,,the plasma-discover/muon-dicover dose LOOK nice ,,,,,,,but it is far from useful for full system package management.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

The 'pretty pictures' do nothing (IMO) but add bloat to your system. In and of themselves, they provide no useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                The 'pretty pictures' do nothing (IMO) but add bloat to your system. In and of themselves, they provide no useful information.
                O I agree ,,,,,,but new users look at something like that and go ,,,,, OOoooo nice , this is beautiful ,,,,,,,, whether it is vary useful or not .

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

I too found Muon broken on this morning's update. Not a loss, since I seldom used it in the past, Synaptic is better...
                  I note that I cannot find Apper in the repositories for 16.04, it works well for my uses, but may not be updated for 16.04, sad...

@Vinny, thanks for suggestion on how to re-install muon.
                  Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Muon is not being replaced by Plasma Discover, it is simply that there is no developer or maintainer for the Package Manager (for some time now actually)
                    Remember, Discover has been the default package manager thingy for some releases now.
                    Discover has been updated to qml and kf5/plasma5 but there is no one working on the old, KDE 4 Muon Package Manager to update it not only to Plasma 5, but also to the new appstream whatchumacallit all the cool kids seem to be using these days

If you look at the packages named muon-foo, and libmuon-bar you will note that these are now just transitional packages that point to the new stuff (for upgrade compatibility)

It is sad to see, but unless someone picks it up or the person who was going to do so can still devote time to it, there isn't a native package manager gui for us for now.

apper iirc is another KDE 4 holdover whose developer(s) have not ported to Kf5/plasma 5, and as such is not available to us past 14.04
                    probably too many of them use Arch or Suse (yast) so third party package manager GUIs are not as germane as they are for us.

Comment

there is no one working on the old, KDE 4 Muon Package Manager to update it not only to Plasma 5, but also to the new appstream whatchumacallit
                      Gosh, that's depressing. I love Muon Package Manager. I guess it's a miracle it still works as well as it does (14.04 here).
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hmm. appstream is not compatible with kde-l10-nl, the Dutch language pack.

Comment

Working...
                        X