X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA - How to fix tearing and small/huge fonts [dpi settings]

For KDE4

First time nvidia user here. I have experienced 2 bugs and decided to share fixes here.

1) Fixing DPI settings (small or huge fonts after installing nvidia driver)

Go to System Settings>Application Appearance>Fonts and check Force fonts DPI:96
    Then reboot/logout.

2) Fixing tearing

Make text file Tearing.sh with following content:
    Code:
    export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"
    Make it executable (right click on the file>properties>permissions and check "is executable".

Then Alt+F2 and type
    Code:
    kdesudo dolphin
    Then copy the file and paste it to /etc/profile.d/ and reboot.

For Plasma 5
    First method:

All the same only in Tearing.sh add these two lines:
    Code:
    export KWIN_EXPLICIT_SYNC=0

Second method (enabling triple buffering):

Code:
    Make it executable (right click on the file>properties>permissions and check "is executable".

Then Alt+F2 and type
    Code:
    kdesudo dolphin
    Then copy the file and paste it to /etc/profile.d/

Then go to Konsole and type command
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Then type
    Code:
    kdesudo dolphin
    and navigate to /root/etc/X11/xorg.conf and open it. Add these lines under section "Device" :
    Code:
    Option "NoLogo" "True" 
    Option "CoolBits" "1" 
    Option "TripleBuffer" "True"  
    Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
    and save. Then reboot.

I hope this how-to is easy and noob friendly
    Last edited by schnelle; Aug 30, 2015, 02:35 PM.
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

for me ,,,,,,, export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1 worked in a file "kwin.sh" in /etc/profile.d ----in 14.04

the same is not working in 15.04 ......will try yours ,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle View Post
      For KDE4

First time nvidia user here. I have experienced 2 bugs and decided to share fixes here.

1) Fixing DPI settings (small or huge fonts after installing nvidia driver)

Go to System Settings>Application Appearance>Fonts and check Force fonts DPI:96
      Then reboot/logout.

2) Fixing tearing

Code:

Then Alt+F2 and type
      Code:
      kdesudo dolphin
      Then copy the file and paste it to /etc/profile.d/ and reboot.

I hope this how-to is easy and noob friendly
      This has not been a problem for me or any of my chicks (the group I support) so I do not have the opportunity to try it. But I want to compliment you on your easy to understand advice. It uses advice like creating a text file to make the entry, and starting Dolphin as root to put the new file in place, which is something most newbies can deal with.
      I find that that the thought of using a Konsole puts many new users off. Using Graphics applications is much easier for them to deal with.

Keep up the noob friendly advice.

Mac
      Volunteer OS Installer and Supporter for New Linux Users.
      So much to learn.... So little time!

Comment

Although I did sometimes notice tearing and knew about the the tripple buffer fix it never bothered me much.
        Reading your fix I decided to try it and I must agree, things like scrolling through a huge directory do look so much better!

Comment

O ya ,,,,,,,forgot to get back to this .

I commented out the KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1 line in my kwin.sh and added the export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP" ,,,,,,,,this made the tearing less but not gone.

I then wint to (in Kubuntu-15.04) system settings>display and monitor>compositor and under the tearing prevention ("vsync") set to "full screen repaints" ,,,,,and no tearing at all

this did give a warning of "can cause performance problems" but I am experiencing none on a Geforce-GTX-860M-4GB-RAM

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            O ya ,,,,,,,forgot to get back to this .

I commented out the KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1 line in my kwin.sh and added the export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP" ,,,,,,,,this made the tearing less but not gone.

I then wint to (in Kubuntu-15.04) system settings>display and monitor>compositor and under the tearing prevention ("vsync") set to "full screen repaints" ,,,,,and no tearing at all

this did give a warning of "can cause performance problems" but I am experiencing none on a Geforce-GTX-860M-4GB-RAM

VINNY
            Tearing prevention : Automatic in KDE4 and I have no tearing (I think Automatic turns on "Re-use screen content" on nvidia drivers, but not 100% sure about that).
            Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Hi,

I also have an Nvida card (GTX760) and had the tearing problem. I got in touch with somebody from the Nvidia helpdesk and he advised me to do the following:
              After installation of the latest driver suitable for your card you open the Nvidia settings program. In here you make sure you save the current settings to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
              I had no such file to begin with but saving the settings makes it.

You can now open a terminal and type:
              kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Type your password and kate will open the file.

Almost at the end of the file you see 2 lines with options:

Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
              Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

First copy the second options line to a new line below the original one and put a # sign in front of it to change it in to a remark. This so you have a copy of the original line should you ever have to use it again.

The first line is standard, the second one needs to be changed by the line coming from the helpdesk, who gave me the part to add to the line.
              Change the second line to this and save it:

Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

Save and reboot to use the new setup.

Since then my tearing problems are over. I don't say it is over for you as well but it won't hurt to try.
              When it doesn't work, use

kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

again and return to the original line by deleting the changed one completely and remove the #-symbol in front of the original line.
              Save and reboot and things are back as they were.

Good luck.
              Attached Files

Comment

Updated for Plasma 5

Comment

This worked perfectly on my Kubuntu 15.10 Beta 2 Installation, updated at 2015-10-15 with NVIDIA Driver 352.41 (no extra ppa).

My system is an ASUS N551JW (N551) Laptop, NVIDIA GTX 960m + Intel HD Graphics 4600 (i7 4720HQ)

Plasma solution 1 solved flickering, wrong sized fonts (wrong ppi / dpi), white or badly constructed interfaces in applications like Skype or Upwork Team.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                  X