Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebooted ,,,,no probs so far ,,,,,,ram staying constant at 1.40-1.45GB out of 15.6GB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maby it was patched already.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I can confirm that removing kubuntu-notification-helper solves the issue for now!

Comment

Originally posted by SIR_Taco View Post
        Same version here: 15.04ubuntu3

I didn't start having a problem until I rebooted my computer sometime after the update. Have you restarted (or logged-out and back in I guess would have the same effect) since kubuntu-notification-helper was installed?

If so, then I guess the next question is why some have the problem and others do not.
        Rebooted out of curiosity about 15 minutes ago. So far no runaway processes. kded5 is at 44MB.

Comment

Originally posted by SIR_Taco View Post
          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1434226

Seems to be the problem. Looks like a recursive call in the kubuntu-notification-helper package.

For me, the desktop would run fine for a few minutes, and I could watch the kded5 process slowly eating all my ram (1.5GB... 2.0GB... 3.0GB... etc.) until my system was unusable.

I have temporarily removed the kubuntu-notification-helper package and it seems to have solved the issue.

Hope that helps,

Cheers!
          thank you. that was the solution for me

Comment

For curiosity sake. I re-installed the kubuntu-notification-helper.

Logged out, then logged back in.

The only thing I opened was System Monitor (CTRL + ESC).

After about 5 minutes kded5 runs away with my RAM again.

I went into the console and purged the package again. Then decided maybe I should try to get some sort of meaningful information out of System Monitor:
            http://pastebin.com/wEj21MmZ
            Man by his very nature is dependent on other men.

Comment

Wow, over 7GB.

Curioser and curioser. Here, after well over an hour since rebooting:

Process 7704 - kded5

Summary

The process kded5 (with pid 7704) is using approximately 87.5 MB of memory.
              It is using 46.6 MB privately, and a further 108.9 MB that is, or could be, shared with other programs.
              Dividing up the shared memory between all the processes sharing that memory we get a reduced shared memory usage of 40.9 MB. Adding that to the private usage, we get the above mentioned total memory footprint of 87.5 MB.

Comment

at 2hr 52min

Summary

The process kded5 (with pid 1446) is using approximately 106.4 MB of memory.
                It is using 60.1 MB privately, and a further 130.8 MB that is, or could be, shared with other programs.
                Dividing up the shared memory between all the processes sharing that memory we get a reduced shared memory usage of 46.3 MB. Adding that to the private usage, we get the above mentioned total memory footprint of 106.4 MB.
                no probs so far.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

infinite recursion makes kded5 use excessive memory

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1434226

Comment

I'm affected by this issue as well. I tried to find out what is happening by running htop in konsole and it seems that kded5 is running the system out of resources and effectively making it unresponsive.

Comment

I experienced the very slow cursor movement, but today the cursor is OK but the clock stops and I cannot launch anything for a period. Then after a while it springs back to life. I did see kded5 using 100% CPU.

I left my system run for over an hour and when I came back the Swap file had 528 MB used?

I am beginning to worry about the state of Vivid by the release date with all these serious problems arising. At least Muon can now be used as the menu bar is back! There are still a lot of other GUI aspects that need polishing up for Vivid to be acceptable.

Comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...26/comments/12

kubuntu-notification-helper 15.04ubuntu4

Has been fixed and pushed. Been testing it for the last 30 minutes or so and seems to be working fine.

Just and FYI

Cheers!
                        Man by his very nature is dependent on other men.

Comment

All right! Since this bug was fixed, I'm marking this thread as solved.
                          Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X