This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 5 background images

The sddm has a kcm module to set the background image.

But is not working at here - a bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=344867

As a workaround the background image can be set manually - the sddm themes are at: /usr/share/sddm/themes/.
    The default Breeze theme background image is /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/components/artwork/background.png

A KDE forums topic of the plasma5 splash- https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=125293 .

At here the only option (at now) is to test the splash:

The plasma 5 splash background can be found from: /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.breeze.desktop/contents/splash/images/background.png

Last edited by Rog132; Mar 08, 2015, 11:11 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Hummm @hear the custom image is used by SDDM even though it dose not show in the SDDM kcm module.

exept in the little chose background selector box .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

#Rog132
      Signing here just to say 'Thank you very much for sharing' this information is really useful for me.. this is exactly what I was looking for..

Comment

My KDE Splash

Tool

Code:
        plasmapkg2 --help
        Usage: plasmapkg2 [options]
        Plasma Package Manager

Options:
          -v, --version             Displays version information.
          -h, --help                Displays this help.
          --hash <path>             Generate a SHA1 hash for the package at <path>
          -g, --global              For install or remove, operates on packages
                                    installed for all users.
          -t, --type <type>         The type of package, e.g. theme, wallpaper,
                                    plasmoid, dataengine, runner, layout-template, etc.
          -i, --install <path>      Install the package at <path>
          -s, --show <name>         Show information of package <name>
          -u, --upgrade <path>      Upgrade the package at <path>
          -l, --list                List installed packages
          --list-types              List all known package types that can be installed
          -r, --remove <name>       Remove the package named <name>
          -p, --packageroot <path>  Absolute path to the package root. If not supplied,
                                    then the standard data directories for this KDE
                                    session will be searched instead.
        More:
        Code:
        plasmapkg2 --list-types
        Package types that are installable with this tool:
        Built in:
        Addon Name            Service Type           Path                      Type Argument
        --------------------  ---------------------  ------------------------  ---------------
        Animated Wallpaper    Plasma/Wallpaper       plasma/wallpapers/        wallpaperplugin
        DataEngine            Plasma/DataEngine      plasma/dataengines/       dataengine
        KWin Effect           KWin/Effect            kwin/effects/             kwineffect
        KWin Script           KWin/Script            kwin/scripts/             kwinscript
        KWin Window Switcher  KWin/WindowSwitcher    kwin/tabbox/              windowswitcher
        Layout Template       Plasma/LayoutTemplate  plasma/layout-templates/  layout-template
        Look and Feel         Plasma/LookAndFeel     plasma/look-and-feel/     lookandfeel
        Package               Plasma/Generic         plasma/packages/          package
        Plasmoid              Plasma/Applet          plasma/plasmoids/         plasmoid
        Runner                Plasma/Runner          plasma/runners/           runner
        Shell                 Plasma/Shell           plasma/shells/            shell
        Theme                                        plasma/desktoptheme/      theme
        Wallpaper Images                             wallpapers/               wallpaper
        Making/Copying

Copying from /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.breeze.desktop/contents directories

- previews
        - splash

to the home.

Editing a bit...

- changing the background picture.
        - changing the preview picture.
        - changing KDE logo to Kubuntu logo: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kubuntu_logo.svg
        - small edit of the Splash.qml:

Code:
                Image {
                    source: "images/Kubuntu_logo.svg"
        and the metadata:
        Code:
        [Desktop Entry]
        Comment=Draft Desktop Design
        Comment[x-test]=xxDraft Desktop Designxx
        Encoding=UTF-8
        Keywords=Desktop;Workspace;Appearance;Look and Feel;Logout;Lock;Suspend;Shutdown;Hibernate;
        Keywords[x-test]=xxDesktopxx;xxWorkspacexx;xxAppearancexx;xxLook and Feelxx;xxLogoutxx;xxLockxx;xxSuspendxx;xxShutdownxx;xxHibernatexx;
        Name=Draft

Type=Service

X-KDE-ServiceTypes=Plasma/LookAndFeel
        X-KDE-ParentApp=
        X-KDE-PluginInfo-License=GPLv2+
        X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=org.me.draft.desktop
        X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=0.1
        X-Plasma-MainScript=defaults

Installing

Code:
        :~/LookFeel$ plasmapkg2 -t lookandfeel -i org.me.draft.desktop
        pluginname:  "org.me.draft.desktop"
        -- Copying  "/home/oneline/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.me.draft.desktop/metadata.desktop" "/home/oneline/.local/share/kservices5/plasma-lookandfeel-org.me.draft.desktop.desktop"
        Copying metadata went ok.
        Successfully installed /home/oneline/LookFeel/org.me.draft.desktop
        Testing

KDE System Settings > Workspace Theme > Splash Screen >...

Seems to work...

Hmm - maybe the splash background could be a video ? - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ideo-wallpaper

More - Thread: Quick KDE plasma qml widgets: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ma-qml-widgets
        Last edited by OneLine; Apr 15, 2015, 05:57 AM.
        Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
        - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Also, perhaps on the same vein:

apt-get install kde-wallpapers plasma-workspace-wallpapers

will install a nice selection of wallpapers you can use for the desktop background.

Comment

Working...
          X