X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moz-plasma team PPA

This was news to me:

The blue shell folks are switching to a moz-plasma PPA.

https://answers.launchpad.net/launch...uestion/260611

Packages for Vivid already. KDE file dialogs again. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Where do I vote for Rohan Garg as President of the Internet?

Thanks ronw, I've switched over
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I've still got the pin in /etc/apt/preferences.d:
      Code:
      Package: *
      Pin: release o=LP-PPA-blue-shell-firefox-kde
      Pin-Priority: 1001
      Should I change the second line to
      Code:
      Pin: release o=LP-PPA-moz-plasma-builds
      ?
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I assume we will need to pin at some point, unless the package does it for us:

Code:
        The firefox-plasma package should install patched firefox version and firefox-kde-support helper package automatically and keep them pinned.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:moz-plasma/releases
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install firefox-plasma thunderbird-plasma
        I didn't notice that before. I can't install firefox-plasma on Vivid, because it depends on firefox-kde-support, which isn't available. I could probably grab the Utopic version from the blue shell PPA.

I still have firefox from the PPA and some (maybe all) of the Plasma integration without firefox-plasma or pinning:

Code:
        ~ $ apt-cache policy firefox
        firefox:
          Installed: 1000~35.0+build3-0ubuntu1~20150119.1522
          Candidate: 1000~35.0+build3-0ubuntu1~20150119.1522
          Version table:
         *** 1000~35.0+build3-0ubuntu1~20150119.1522 0
                500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/moz-plasma/releases/ubuntu/ vivid/main amd64 Packages
                100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
             34.0+build2-0ubuntu2 0
                500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ vivid/main amd64 Packages

Comment

sudo apt-get install firefox-plasma
          Oops, didn't notice that. Just ran it, and mozilla-kde-support replaced firefox-kde-support.

A worse problem is that the first time I invoke the file picker, (Open File...) after starting firefox it doesn't work well. It hangs with an unresponsive window, the cursor not blinking. Attempts to close the window are ignored. Double-clicking works after a delay (with no GUI feedback), after which the file picker behaves normally. Starting firefox in a konsole shows nothing. This problem occurred before installing firefox-plasma, after adding the moz-plasma PPA,

I've just this morning dist-upgraded to Utopic; firefox gave me a Gnomish file picker before I added the new repository.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

I've tracked down my hanging problem a bit, I don't think it's anything to do with the new repository. kmozillahelper goes CPU bound if it opens a directory with many entries, and balloons to 500 KB in virtual size. The problem has been reported previously by an OpenSUSE user a couple of years ago. kmozillahelper reopens the last directory used, and if I navigate away from that directory then the next time firefox starts and I open the file picker there's no trouble.

I can reproduce the behaviour, so I'd like to file a bug against kmozillahelper.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Quick note, you shouldn't need to manually write the apt preferences file since we version the package so high ( at 1000 ).

Comment

Sorry about the vivid muck up, will be fixed with v36

Comment

Originally posted by shadeslayer View Post
                  Sorry about the vivid muck up, will be fixed with v36
                  Excellent.

And no problem. I'm impressed and pleased you already have Vivid in the PPA. You are fast.

Comment

Working...
                  X