This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact Calendar - Google sync help needed

Have just started to use Kontact calendar.
    Under KOrganizer Main Configuration I added a new calendar 'Google Calendars & Tasks' with a refresh interval of 10 minutes.
    I was pleased to see my Google events appear in Kontact calendar.
    Since then new events in either Kontact calendar or Google calendar do not syncronise.
    Any help would be welcome.

Kubuntu 14.10
    Kontact Version 4.13.1

Hi
    Try this:
    Go to system settings / personal information

Click Akonadai resources.

If you only see that it is "not running" go to Korganizer and click the mail client etc.

NOTE: this is the first time that I have observed this situation.

If you do not see the calendar etc. then you will have to click the calendar and add a calendar, there are some default holiday ones and then add a calendar.

That then should "activate" the Akonadai resources and add from the right side...using the "add button", the google contacts and personal calendar ang google canendars and tasks and personal contacts.

If you did not see them before you should see in Kontact a "personal calendar" thing in the window and google calendar.

I IMAGINE THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT....

If you have already done that then you may have to go through a "reenable" of google contacts sync etc.

I have two machines, one with Rarin lts and it PREVIOUSLY would sometimes "hang" on syncing with Google but other e-mails did not.

I also have another KDE machine and it USUALLY hangs and I have to re-enable it.

Google pops a notice about do I want to do this once or forever, and always pick forever.

it may.....may......have something to do with my using the keyring....

There was a "bug" about this a coupla years ago, but I think that the bug was fixed and it is situation with google itself, they have never wanted people to use something like Kontact they want you to go to them on the net, that way you get to see the little adverts! lol

I quite realize that this may not have fixed the situation so if it did not please stop by and somebody with waay more knowledge than I will pop in.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I had to use CalDAV to keep Google Calender in sync with Kontact. Google Calendar resource did not work for me.
      sigpic

Comment

Here are my notes for trusty.

Open KOrganizer
        Setting --> Configure KOrganizer
        With the General icon selected click the Calendars tab. Click Add. A window pops up where you can select the DAV groupware resource.
        The DAV groupware configuration wizard window opens. Enter your email address and password and click Next.
        Click cancel when the DAV groupware configuration window pops up.
        The DAV groupware resource pops up. The display name is Google Calendar or whatever you want to call it. Enter your username (gmail address) and its password. Click Add.
        The DAV groupware resource window pops up with CalDAV selected. Enter the remote url. Make sure "Use specific credentials" is selected and enter your gmail username (gmail address) and its password. Click Fetch. The click OK.
        This is the remote url. Substitute <youremailaddress@gmail.com> for your own gmail address.
        Code:
        https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/yourgmailaddress@gmail.com/events/
        Click OK again. Click OK to close the Configure KOrganizer window.

I don't think the process has changed too much. I manage to slug my way through it every time I have to set one up.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bill-lancaster View Post
          Under KOrganizer Main Configuration I added a new calendar 'Google Calendars & Tasks' with a refresh interval of 10 minutes.
          I was pleased to see my Google events appear in Kontact calendar.
          Since then new events in either Kontact calendar or Google calendar do not syncronise.
          How much time did you allow to elapse before you switched to CalDAV?

The Akonadi resources for Google use Google's public API. I don't know for certain, but they might place an upper limit on the number of synchronization events per some unit time.

Comment

I tried it for a week or so when I first setup Kubuntu 12.04. I got the same behavior the OP did. It pulled in what was currently in the calendar but never added the new events. I never tried Google Calendar resource in trusty. I went straight for CalDAV. It has worked perfect for me in all cases.
            sigpic

Comment

Seems there exists a number of open bugs reporting syncing problems with libkgapi, the library that implements the Google API.

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?que...tatus=REOPENED

Comment

Here is a post from December 11th on KDE Community Forums.
                Akonadi not syncing contacts or calendar with Google anymore

I use CalDAV on my iPhone.
                How To Use CalDAV On iPhone To Sync Google Calendar Without Exchange

I had to use CalDAV in Thunderbird also.
                Lightning and CalDav

Here is another link from Google Developers
                CalDAV API Developer's Guide
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 05, 2015, 12:23 AM. Reason: fix KDE forum URL to display entire thread
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you woodsmoke
                  This is a can of worms!
                  "System Setting","Personal Setting" has only one form:-
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	642669
                  I don't see Akonadi Resources.
                  I've just setup PIM on another computer, configured for Google Calendars, it seems to work fine.
                  In the course of doing that I recall that on the original machine I removed Personal Calendars I wonder if this caused the problem?
                  I also see a number of other posts referring to CalDAV, I'll have a look at that.
                  Thanks everyone

Comment

There maybe a problem with connecting with the Wallet when the machine is re-booted.
                    Have just removed the google calendar and re-installed it.
                    Sync occured immediately and new events are sync'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by bill-lancaster View Post
                      Thank you woodsmoke
                      This is a can of worms!
                      "System Setting","Personal Setting" has only one form:-
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5652[/ATTACH]
                      I don't see Akonadi Resources.
                      I've just setup PIM on another computer, configured for Google Calendars, it seems to work fine.
                      In the course of doing that I recall that on the original machine I removed Personal Calendars I wonder if this caused the problem?
                      I also see a number of other posts referring to CalDAV, I'll have a look at that.
                      Thanks everyone
                      If you want to use CalDAV you'll need to click the Add button. Once you do that the KDE Control Module pops up where you can scroll down to select and add CalDAV.

Google Calendar and Tasks used to be called Akonadi Google Calender Resource in Kubuntu 12.04.
                      I leave Personal Calendars, but I don't select it.

I'm not sure about KWallet not connecting when you reboot. I just gave KWallet a blank password when it poped up.
                      sigpic

Comment

just an observation but I think that the OP has spawned a wunnerful thread!

woodsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Google sync stopped working today, don't know why. Deleted google calendar, re-installed it and everything works again.
                          Items that I had added to Korganizer and were not sync'ed to Google dissapeared after the re-install.
                          This is not the way forward so will follow helpful advice re CalDAV.

Comment

OK, Have installed CalDAV, seems to be working well.
                            Couldn't have done without the helpful advice from life0riley.
                            Will report in the next day or two if it is working OK.
                            Thanks again everyone

Comment

LOL...............

your posts would MIRROR.......in the same direction.........not the direction of Alice through the looking glass.........

WAS NOT THE FILM ALICE in Wonderland... JUST A WONDERFUL "UPDATE"........especially the very last few scenes wherein.........the butterfly is probably going to "fly before her" as she embarks on a trip......to........."the Orient""...

a marvellous film...

the latest version

THE SAME VERBIAGE........from the last several years....

yes....just keep trying.......it may be a bug..........upstream.......or it may not.......but the mere FACT of you reporting it means that others are PROBABLY having the same problem....

wood...........keep on going on my friend........smoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X