This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FileZilla 3.7.3 [curr. package version] won't launch

I've never seen this before, so I'm looking for hypotheses as to what might be going wrong. [running KB 14.04, fully updated]

I removed Filezilla, upon first seeing the problem (I haven't used it for several months, since before last OS upgrade in April, probably). Reinstalled, it does exactly the same thing: It appears to launch, then, in the System Monitor, goes into "disk sleep" state (whatever that is), and stays there without ever coming out.

Searching the forum, I don't see anyone else reporting this problem.

Any ideas what's happening, and what I can do about it? This program (or some as yet unseen substitute) is essential to me.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Went to filezilla homepage https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1 . There IS a more current version - 3.8.1,but the only binary there is for Debian Wheezy. Don't know if I should try that or not. I'm willing to compile, but need instructions. The link there to the project wiki is dead. At SourceForge, the wiki is empty. Not good.

Looking in the packages for a substitute, I'm not coming up with much. Would rather get Filezilla running, frankly. So, questions (aside from my basic one of "why won't the package version run?":

1. How might I compile the Filezilla source?

2. What alternative FTP/SFTP client does anyone recommend?

UPDATE-2: I just downloaded the Debian binary of ver. 3.8.1. It launches fine, then does exactly the same nose dive. We have a problem.
    Last edited by tomcloyd; Jun 07, 2014, 08:55 PM. Reason: update

Here, on my 64-bit 14.04, Filezilla 3.7.3 launches and runs fine. For me however, it crashes (?) if I try to transfer a nested directory. This wasn't happening previously. It also crashes (?) without doing a thing. It, like Gimp (for me), just winks out. I really don't know what is causing this behavior.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 07, 2014, 06:42 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, never seen before. Have done more research on FTP/SFTP options. Two findings: everyone likes Filezilla best (of the GUI clients), and there ARE a ton of other ways to get the job done. But, I want my Filezilla. NOW! Oh well....

Comment

I think I've solved the Filezilla issue, at least it seems to have resolved my issues.

I was using oxygen-gtk for both the GTK2 and GTK3 Themes and Abyssinica SIL for the Font. I changes the GTK2 Theme to Raleigh and the GTK3 Theme to Default and the Font to Ubutnu. Filezilla no longer crashes when transferring nested folders, nor does it just crash on its own.

It might be that just changing the Font would be sufficient, and I will test that possibility later.

Added:
        Yup, at least here, it's the oxygen-gtk Theme that Filezilla doesn't like.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 07, 2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Snowhog - I have NO idea how you thought to try THAT out.

I have found that Filezilla launches on my HP Netbook just fine, and in the light of your experiments that suggests that a difference between some aspect of the desktop themes - Netbook vs. my desktop - is to account for the success on the Netbook when there's only failure on the desktop.

Meanwhile, I learned that Dolphin (which I stopped using a while back when it went screwy for a while) can do SFTP, among other things, just fine. One just gets the Network place displayed in a two-panel display, then sets up a new network folder for each FTP/SFTP (or whatever) connection you need. It's simple and straightforward and just works. Very interesting.

Thanks for your explorations. I now have a possible path back to Filezilla on my desktop, although using Dolphin is quite acceptable.

Comment

As to SFTP with Dolphin. How do you accomplish that? How do you set up a connection?

Added:
            Figured it out. Very easy. I like this, using Dolphin for SFTP.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 07, 2014, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X