X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

App Launcher Backup: Desperate

All,

I find that most backups do not backup the App Launchers in the KDE App Launcher menu, so after running a recovery, you have to manually add back the launchers.

This does not seem to be a problem for most default or normal user machines, usually less than 50 apps, but I'm maintaing 25 machines, which each have over 1,000 apps in the launcher menu; therefore a recovery on just one of these machines is a 5-10 day full time, no interuptions manual process.

I need this, the app launcher backup, automated badly, but can not find any HOWTOs or DOCs covering the actual file(s) involved that store the app launcher configs.

Really consider this a deperate situation!

All help appreciated!

OMR

The KDE Menu Editor Handbook is telling:

Transfer application launcher settings

There is no way to transfer menu settings using the GUI, you have to do that manually and copy the following files to the target user:
    KMenuEdit stores the menu hierarchy in $HOME/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu and $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories contains desktop files for submenus you created. In $HOME/.local/share/applications/ you find the desktop files for the custom items you created.

The shortcuts for each application are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc, but export/import does not work because the UUIDs of the shortcuts do not match up between systems, even though the .desktop files are the same. You have to assign all shortcuts manually again.

KDE Menu Editor

KMenuEdit allows editing the menu of KDE application launchers: Kickoff, classic K menu or Lancelot Launcher.

KMenuEdit can be started either by right mouse button clicking the application launcher button on the panel and choosing Edit Applications..., or by typing kmenuedit in the KRunner line.
    and the Help/ Handbook button

A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Rog132,

Thanks I can see that all the information needed is in the file and dir(s) you listed so now know what to add to .tar.gz for backing these up!

Considering this closed!

Thanks again!

OMR

Comment

Working...
      X