This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did the daily security upgrades and now Kontact is missing

i did the daily security upgrades and now Kontact is missing, and when i try to re-install it with synaptic, it says

kontact:
    Depends: libkdepim4 but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: kmail but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: knotes but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: akregator but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: kaddressbook but it is not going to be installed
    Recommends: korganizer but it is not going to be installed

and when i try to install libkdepim4 it says:

libkdepim4:
    Depends: libmailcommon4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libmessagecore4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libpimcommon4 but it is not going to be installed

and when i try to install libmailcommon4 it says:

libmailcommon4:
    Depends: libincidenceeditorsng4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libmailimporter4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libmessagecomposer4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libmessagecore4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libmessageviewer4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libpimcommon4 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libtemplateparser4 but it is not going to be installed

and when i try to install libmailcommon4 it says:

libincidenceeditorsng4:

what it comes down to is that i no longer have any way to send or receive email outside of the web. why is kontact no longer going to be installed? how can i get it back? or, is there something new that has replaced kontact, that i don't know about?

UPDATE: nobody has responded, so i started digging, and i discovered that Trusty Tahr (14.04) is an LTS version - and i only use LTS versions - so i decided that a distribution upgrade might fix the problem. i used the muon updater to start the process, it was through downloading packages and about a quarter of the way through installing them when an alert came up that said that there was another terminal working on that machine, and did i want to shut it down. as this is my own, private machine, and i am the only user, i said yes, and the machine rebooted.

now i am looking at a "system loading" graphic that has 5 dots that go from white to grey and back to white, one dot at a time, which has been there for approximately half an hour.

all i wanted to do was rescue my email, and now i'm totally hosed and don't know where to turn next... PLEASE HELP!!! 8(

UPDATE 2: i hit "alt + F5" and logged into a terminal, where i typed "sudo apt-get update" and got A LOT of updates. i then typed "sudo apt-get -f upgrade" and noticed A BUNCH of stuff that said "your system is broken". when it finished, i typed "sudo apt-get update" again, and it didn't come up with anything, and then, when i typed "sudo apt-get -f upgrade" again it came back with a bunch of packages that "were automatically installed but are no longer required" and suggested using 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them, and a bunch of packages that were "kept back" including the gimp, inkscape, iptables, font forge, xserver-xorg-video-all, and a bunch of other stuff that i'm pretty sure i use all the time...

i'm still waiting for the /CORRECT/ answer... anyone??
    Last edited by przxqgl; May 01, 2014, 06:21 PM.
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

I was getting ready to post this reply, but you updated your post before I finished.
    Kontact has not been replaced.
    Open the Muon Package Manager --> View --> History
    This should tell you what was installed, upgraded, or removed.
    Distribution upgrade will take some time. You have to let it run its course.

There are posts here in Kubuntu Forums in the Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr section about upgrades. There are success stories and some have issues. It really depends on your hardware and system configuration. My upgrade was successful 13.10 --> 14.04 on a VirtualBox guest that was was previously upgraded from 12.10 to 13.10.

Hopefully you backed your data up before starting the upgrade to 14.04 and your email is imap and not POP3.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
      I was getting ready to post this reply, but you updated your post before I finished.
      sorry... i thought i was actually going to be able to do some good...

Distribution upgrade will take some time. You have to let it run its course.
      i get the distinct impression that i didn't wait long enough... 8/

There are posts here in Kubuntu Forums in the Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr section about upgrades. There are success stories and some have issues. It really depends on your hardware and system configuration. My upgrade was successful 13.10 --> 14.04 on a VirtualBox guest that was was previously upgraded from 12.10 to 13.10.
      i used the instructions i found here -> http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tru...buntu/12.04LTS

so far it hasn't helped, and now i still don't know what to do... 8P

Hopefully you backed your data up before starting the upgrade to 14.04 and your email is imap and not POP3.
      nope... i hate imap. i /ONLY/ use POP3, unless i can't avoid it (like with gmail or yahoo)...

i may have a backup from a couple weeks ago, which would definitely get me started, once i get everything else working again...

so, has kontact /really/ been removed from the distro? i hope not...
      Last edited by przxqgl; May 01, 2014, 06:34 PM.
      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

I've used Muon to ugrade successfully.
        I also used the terminal successfully.
        Code:
        $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
        I posted the most recent one here.
        13.10 to 14.04 :]

Kontact has not been removed from the distro. It must have been removed on your system by some package that was pulled in when you updated.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't use Muon to update. I use the terminal.
          Code:
          $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          I copy the output to the text editor Kate and save for reference just in case I have issues. That way it is easy for me to look back and see what was installed, upgraded or removed. I've had to refer to these logs on rare occasions and undo the damage when things didn't go right.
          sigpic

Comment

i'm not exactly sure how, but i managed to get enough of the right things installed that now i am running trusty, and rebuilding my system... it's been a combination of muon (which i've never used before, having been introduced to synaptic a long time ago) and apt-get from the command line...

i /THINK/ i am going to be able to recover from this... i'll keep you updated.

and, by the way... i was in salem, oregon not too long ago, to buy a car. the owner of withnell automotive is a good friend of my wife's. 8)
            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

*WHEW!!*

that was a lot closer than i like it... but at the same time, it didn't take a week, like it did the last time i had to go through it...

okay, i did apt-get update and apt-get -f upgrade, and rebooted, and it booted to a graphic login screen with the proper credentials, so i logged in. kontact was still missing, but it was a graphical interface with what i assumed was trusty. the first thing i did was check for updates with muon. it found a bunch of 'em, and i let it install to its hearts content, which took about 45 minutes. then i rebooted, and, sure enough, it was trusty.

i then used muon to install kontact, which it did without any further argument.

there's still some stuff that i have to check on, but the upgrade process is a lot easier than it was the last time i upgraded, i didn't lose anything, and even my sigrot made it without having to be reinstalled.

now all i have to do is figure out how to mark this thread [SOLVED]... 8)
              ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

I'm glad you got everything working.

To mark this thread solved click the Thread Tools on the gray bar at the top. It should be the option at the bottom of the list.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by przxqgl View Post
                  i did the daily security upgrades and now Kontact is missing, and when i try to re-install it with synaptic
                  This apparently isn't a unique problem as my 12.04.4 machine did the same dance this morning.

I haven't had the time to examine it yet (work got in the way,) however I was planning to upgrade it to 14.04 anyway... so it might not be worth the effort. I'll probably do a release upgrade later today after work and see if that sorts it out.

cheers,
                  bill
                  Last edited by bweinel; May 02, 2014, 07:52 AM.
                  sigpic
                  A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm glad you got everything working.
                    you wouldn't believe how glad i am everything is working again. i was seriously considering being a complete luddite (compared to the partial luddite i am currently) and completely giving up computers all together. i have friends who aren't online, and don't use computers at all, and they seem completely happy that way.

kubuntu has been the best operating system i have ever used (compared to the various versions of MacOS, Windoesn't, BeOS, and others that i have used and worked with for the past 35 years), but the problems i have had with upgrading the operating system have been enough to cause this thinking.

this is significantly better, having taken less than 12 hours to rectify the situation, compared to the last time, which took me 3 days, and the time before that, which took a week.

it should be pointed out that at least part of the reason this whole thing was resolved as quickly as it was, was because of the invaluable advice that i have accumulated in the past, *ON* *THIS* *VERY* *FORUM*...

really, you guys /ROCK!!/ 8)

To mark this thread solved click the Thread Tools on the gray bar at the top. It should be the option at the bottom of the list.
                    gotcha. thanks again! 8)
                    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Originally posted by bweinel View Post
                      This apparently isn't a unique problem as my 12.04.4 machine did the same dance this morning.
                      that, too, makes me feel a whole lot better about the whole thing. it's a lot better when you have someone else with the same problem, with whom you can commiserate, if nothing else...
                      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Originally posted by przxqgl View Post
                        it's a lot better when you have someone else with the same problem, with whom you can commiserate, if nothing else...
                        True... fortunately I do have the system backed up, so if need be I can just restore it. However this may finally be my excuse to upgrade the production box to trusty. (I've been running trusty on the development box since alpha2 and it's pretty solid.) Also since LTS support is moving to 14.04 anyway, there may not be much point in bashing on the old install to see what threw it for a loop. I'll try to report back on what I ended up doing as perhaps it'll be of use to others who may run into this issue.

cheers,
                        bill
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok.. just a quick follow up for all on my kmail issue. I decided that it was just better to upgrade to 14.04 rather than trying to fix the breakage in 12.04 after the KDE 4.13 updates arrived. So a quick upgrade command this morning:

Code:
                           sudo do-release-upgrade -d
                          and a couple of hours of updates and I'm back in business with kmail / baloo.

On a side note: After the upgrade lightdm wouldn't start KDE. I had run into the dreaded qdbus boot issue "Could not start qdbus. Can you call qdbus?".
                          I found that this was due to /usr/bin/startkde not having the correct qdbus alias specification (which we also ran into during pre-release testing.)

I manually edited /usr/bin/startkde to correct the following code:
                          Code:
                          #bad alias code
                          alias qdbus="QT_SELECT=qt4 qdbus"
                          #corrected alias code
                          alias qdbus=QT_SELECT=qt4 qdbus
                          Once repaired... I was back in business with 14.04.

Since this was kde-workspace 4:4.11.8-0ubuntu6, I guess I need to file a bug report as the bad specification has apparently gotten back into the code.

cheers,
                          bill
                          Last edited by bweinel; May 03, 2014, 03:48 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bweinel View Post
                            I manually edited /usr/bin/startkde to correct the following code:
                            Code:
                            #bad alias code
                            #corrected alias code
                            alias qdbus=QT_SELECT=qt4 qdbus
                            Huh? The alias has to be quoted, and here, in my file, it is:
                            Code:
                            I didn't edit it at all. I never had the described problem, but then, I release upgraded early in the beta phase.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah... Looks like your right snowhog as my 14.04 beta box still has the quoted version in there. (See the following bug report (reply #12) for details on this issue.)

So it appears that there's really something more going on... I'll investigate further.

cheers,
                              bill
                              Last edited by bweinel; May 03, 2014, 04:11 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X