X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some GUI issues

hello,
    I'm having three issues with the behavior of KDE. I'm on a fresh install of 14.04 that was upgraded from beta2.

1.) At that beginning of a session, all new windows appear on the neighboring workspace, not the one I'm looking at. Once I move one to my current workspace, subsequnet ones open there as well.

2.)I messed up the settings for Muon Discover. I tried to add some buttons to the tool bar, clicked something wrong and now they're all gone. The search panel has disappeared as well. How can I get everything back?
    3.) Through a similar accident, the window list mini-app (are these called Plasmoids?) vanished from my control bar and I can't figure out how ot get it back. You see I'm all new to KDE.
    I right-clicked on the control bar and chose "add mini-apps". In the list that comes up, the window list is actually checked, I figure that means it should be there already, i.e. I can't add it (again). I also don't see any option to remove any mini-apps, and I also can't add some of the other mini-apps, e.g. workspace-switcher. adding it just created a blank space between the other icons.
    After a reboot, I tried fixing this some more and KDE crashed.
    Kubuntu 18.04
    Laptop: Tuxedo InifinityBook Pro v5

Hi Bennypr0fane,

1) I'm not sure how to solve this. I traditionally start an empty session without any soft. If you want to do the same, have a look to System Settings / Startup and shutdown / session management.

2) It's a bug I think. Usually the shortcut is Ctrl + m. In this case, that does not seem to work. I have delete muon discover config and the menu is back : rm ~/.kde/share/config/muon-discoverrc

3) I don't have mini-map as avaiable widget. Do you mean Pager ? Can you make a screenshot?

Regards

Comment

Thanks for yr pointers! Some of my problems are resolved now.
      Originally posted by Shaika-Dzari View Post
      1) I'm not sure how to solve this. I traditionally start an empty session without any soft. If you want to do the same, have a look to System Settings / Startup and shutdown / session management.
      Not sure what you mean. What is starting an empty session "without any soft"? I went to settings and selected the one you see in the screenshot:
      https://bennypr0fane.trovebox.com/p/b/token-1a1e36529e

Unfortunately, the applications still launch on the non-visible workspace.

2) It's a bug I think. Usually the shortcut is Ctrl + m. In this case, that does not seem to work. I have delete muon discover config and the menu is back : rm ~/.kde/share/config/muon-discoverrc
      It is definitely a bug, I hope they resolve it soon. Do you know how to submit a report?
      However, deleting the config worked, the menu is back now!

3) I don't have mini-map as avaiable widget. Do you mean Pager ? Can you make a screenshot?
      Not a mini-MAP, but a MINI-APP! That's a translation of what they are called in my German interface. I don't know the correct english term. I mean all the little applications that you can place in the panel/control bar, on the desktop, etc... like Kickoff, system area, launcher, desktop switcher (maybe that is what you call the pager), activity switcher. I'm calling them mini-apps until someone tells me what the correct term is. One of them being the window list. I was unable to add it back or remove any of the present mini-apps.

I have managed now because I discovered I was trying the wrong way:
      I right-clicked the panel/control bar and clicked "add mini-apps". That brings up a list of the mini-apps, but it dosen't actually let you add or remove them. That must be a half-implemented feature of the new KDE version, i.e. the button is there, but it doesn't yet do what it says. here's how the panel looked before:
      https://bennypr0fane.trovebox.com/p/c/token-b289ef33cd
      At the top between Kickoff and Kate is an empty space where I put the desktop switcher/pager. the empty space was not only emtpy, but also not working ;-) In the middle of the panel there's supposed to be icons for the running tasks (same ones are running as on the other screenshot.

However, clicking on the "cashew nut"/toolbox at the end of the bar gives you the options, except they work. Here I was able to remove unwanted mini-apps and add my window-list back. Now it looks like this:
      https://bennypr0fane.trovebox.com/p/d/token-44b86c980b
      Firefox and Terminal are the running applications displayed in the window list.
      Kubuntu 18.04

Comment

> Unfortunately, the applications still launch on the non-visible workspace.
        ok, try that. After opening a session and after your application has started on the wrong desktop :
        Click on title bar / More Action / Special Windows Settings
        Check if you have selected a specific Desktop for this window.

> Do you know how to submit a report?
        There is already a bug report on bugs.kde.org. It should be fixed in the next version I guess.

> Not a mini-MAP, but a MINI-APP!
        Ho, sorry
        It's called Widget in english (Add Widget)

> I right-clicked the panel/control bar and clicked "add mini-apps". That brings up a list of the mini-apps, but it dosen't actually let you add or remove them.
        Right click / Panel Option / Add Widget bring a list.
        To add a new widget, double click on the one you want to add.
        But you are right, you can't remove widget using this method. The proper method is the one you used (cashew).

Regards

Comment

ok, try that. After opening a session and after your application has started on the wrong desktop :
          Click on title bar / More Action / Special Windows Settings
          Check if you have selected a specific Desktop for this window.
          nope, no special settings were activated. If so, it couldn't regard just the one window, because it's always the first windows of any session that appear on the wrong workspace, regardless of which application it is. That is also weird bcs I only have one workspace activated.
          After I move all running windows to the 1st workspace, subsequent ones will open there.
          Now I set that 1st window to appear on workspace 1, we'll see how that goes.

It's called Widget in english (Add Widget)
          Thanks, that's one useful piece of information - makes it much easier to write a sensible forum post! :-)

Right click / Panel Option / Add Widget bring a list.
          To add a new widget, double click on the one you want to add.
          But you are right, you can't remove widget using this method. The proper method is the one you used (cashew).
          Good to know, this is hardly very obvious - with the two options being called exactly the same and the menus looking exactly the same...
          I think the workspace pager is broken, bcs even when I add it through the cashew, it only makes an empty space on the panel which doesn't react to clicks. Perhaps another bug.
          Kubuntu 18.04

Comment

Originally posted by bennypr0fane View Post
            I think the workspace pager is broken, bcs even when I add it through the cashew, it only makes an empty space on the panel which doesn't react to clicks. Perhaps another bug.
            I think you are using a vertical panel. Did you try to use an horizontal panel ? Do you have the same problems?

What do you have in System settings / Workspace Behavior
            - Workspace
            - virtual Desktop
            ?

Comment

I think you are using a vertical panel. Did you try to use an horizontal panel ? Do you have the same problems?
              Yes! The Comic Widget is also not working (before you ask, the widget issues persist if I use the default icon set and theme). Do all the widgets work normally for you?
              What do you have in System settings / Workspace Behavior
              - Workspace
              - virtual Desktop ?
              See attachments!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto8.png
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	640739Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto7.png
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	640740Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto6.png
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	640741Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto5.png
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	640742
              Last edited by bennypr0fane; Apr 26, 2014, 08:15 AM.
              Kubuntu 18.04

Comment

Hey, sorry I was busy.

In this screenshot : https://www.kubuntuforums.net/attach...0&d=1398521287

Anzalh der Arbeitsflachen stand for number of virtual desktop in english if I am right.
                Try to increase it to 2 or 3 and click apply.

I'm not using a lot of widget to be honest. I like my desktop to be as clean as possible.
                A screenshot of my current desktop:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop-2014-04-30.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	640755

Comment

Hey, sorry I was busy.

Anzalh der Arbeitsflachen stand for number of virtual desktop in english if I am right.

I'm not using a lot of widget to be honest. I like my desktop to be as clean as possible.
                  A screenshot of my current desktop:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]4889[/ATTACH]
                  Okaaay,,,,,this is what.............two thousand years from you...but

HOW DID YOU DO THAT................I have all these plascicine discksw...and cannot seem to DO what you did in that screesshootty.....

PLEASE POST IN DETAIL justexactly how you didthat.........my students, mostofthem would not care but maybe one...

HOW PRECISELY STEP BY STEP did you.....................aaaaaaaarrrgggghhhh
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    .......I have all these plascicine discksw...
                    WOW, woodtheencryptersmoke, English is my native tongue and I followed most of what you wrote, except for that phrase.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi woodsmoke,

What do you mean? My theme and color scheme?

Comment

[quote=woodsmoke] plascicine discksw[/QUOTE ]
                        Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        WOW, woodtheencryptersmoke, English is my native tongue and I followed most of what you wrote, except for that phrase.
                        I think it's a reference to plasticine, and the way it looks when you mix different colours moderately. One used to be able to get plastic items that looked like that, maybe he's got some 3" diskettes?
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Thank you, I should have thought of that. of course the pager won't switch to another workspace if there's only one
                          Anywho, I thought I might start using several workspaces but I never do. I'm just not used to working like that, so I'm gonna leave that setting on 1.

The comics widget is also broken, I found it in the bug tracker.

I did, however, manage to resolve the issue of first windows appearing somewhere else, by restoring default settings in one of the gazillion submenus of system settings, probably in the workspace section, unfortunately I don't remember which one.

One problem connected to this remains: You know how you can tile windows by dragging to the edges of the screen, so they will snap into place sized 1/2 or 1/4 of the screen (configurable in settings > workspace behavior > screen edges)? That works for me only on the left. If I drag a wnidow to the right edge, it just disappears there (probably onto the non-existent ghost workspace that lurks there).
                          Kubuntu 18.04

Comment

Open a terminal and type:

xrandr -q

If you're only using a single Virtual Desktop, the edge thing should work. I have two monitors and it works on both, separately.

Please Read Me

Comment

virtual desktops in panel?

I think you are using a vertical panel. Did you try to use an horizontal panel ? Do you have the same problems? What do you have in System settings / Workspace Behavior - Workspace - virtual Desktop ?
                              Kubuntu 14.04 (installed today) I did that, requesting 4 desktops in one row and applied it. Yet this does not appear in either the panel located at the top or bottom of the screen. I logged out, logged-in again, then login. My new settings in Workspace Behavior /virtual Desktop are correct but there is nothing in either the top or bottom panel that allows me to switch to them. Any hints?

Comment

Working...
                              X