This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to Replace my Color Laser with a more Linux-friendly one

I've seen this question asked a lot *in the past* and I came up with lots of really nice, out-dated information. Even openprinting org was not much help (and talk about a super-slow driver/device web-page load...).

Begin Rant:
    I currently have an aging Oki C5800Ldn and love it. Prints wonderfully... under Windows. The linux side has been so-so, and completely unacceptable with color photos (i.e. a brochure, flier, etc, with a mix of text and some small photos). The Oki was never a photo printer (it isn't under windows) but I've printed the same document (even converted from my beloved Xara Designer X9 to Scribus) so it would be the same app, and the printouts are so different. There LOOK to be things in the CUPS driver, such as "draft" mode, but that simply does not do anything different from "normal" mode. The icc profiles are horrendous (or they are not understood?). All I know are the colors are WAY off and I've had it. I have moved to linux, and the more I stay, the more I loathe to reboot into Windows... I decided that it's time to start thinking about a new printer that actually prints just as well under *nix as it does under win*.
    End Rant?

I've heard that HP has good linux driver support. I've heard Xerox does as well. Even Brother. Well, I don't want to hear how good the driver support is, per se, rather, I'd like to hear from people who use color laser printing in a real-world environment (small DTP homeoffice, light ad work, graphic design, etc) that can say, "Oh, it's April 2014 so you want to look at Brand X's model Y!" or something along those lines.

Openpringing org had many printers with the coveted 3 penguin ratings, but unfortunately, they are no longer for sale. Checking with NewEgg, most all of the HP's and Xerox's and Brother's were not on openprinting org's list. Not sure if the list is stale, or manufacturer's just don't do the penguin anymore.

Budget is under $1,000 - but flexible. Networking (wired), duplex color laser. Any suggestions based on experience?
    i7-4770k / 16GB RAM / nVidia GTX760 / other stuff
    main OS: Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + SteamOS 1.0 (beta) + Windows 8.1 Pro (collecting dust)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-HL...roduct+Reviews

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rinter%20linux
    I'd stay away from Cannon and LexMark printers.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 23, 2014, 10:26 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Thank you, GG, for the links; however, this is basically where I am: I can find links and printers - some that I can even track down how well (or not) they play with linux. What I need is to hear how these perform in a graphics design / light DTP environment where color-matching and precision is key. Many of the sub $1000 units do not handle medium-sized jobs (100-200 pages, duplex, color) and this is often not discovered until someone puts the unit in an office/home-office where this type of use is occurring.

I am looking more into Brother (I've used their products before, and there's a range of quality, that's for certain). I've got a budget for HP, but I'd like to see if another unit is as good or better at the same price-point, with less costly consumables (which is how I shop for printers typically).

Thank you again for your advice. I also agree about Lexmark. Cannon is good for photo-printing (at least under windows), but I really don't do that at all so they're also off the list, too!
      main OS: Kubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + SteamOS 1.0 (beta) + Windows 8.1 Pro (collecting dust)

Comment

My clients have had good luck with Brother and Konica color laser printers, but that has been more than half a dozen years ago, (I retired in 2008), so the expiration date on my advice has probably expired.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          My clients have had good luck with Brother and Konica color laser printers, but that has been more than half a dozen years ago, (I retired in 2008), so the expiration date on my advice has probably expired.
          There's only one expiration date I fear; that is: my own!

Thanks for the Konica tip... hadn't considered them. Did some searching and think I like what I see between their 4750DN and HP's M551dn (about $100 more). Both have native drivers for download, though I question their "fullness" without someone's personal experience.

Konica seems like more printer for slightly less, but HP does have a very strong reputation for Linux support and overall quality. I'll sleep on it some more, I'm not desperate (still can VM into Win7 and get better prints).

Thanks again, GG!

Comment

I've Had good success with HP- they seem to support more of their products with linux than others. Here's their page of supported color laser printers. http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web..._laserjet.html
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

[Printer] Almost Solved

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
              I've Had good success with HP- they seem to support more of their products with linux than others. Here's their page of supported color laser printers. http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web..._laserjet.html
              After searching around, I actually found the M551dn *cheaper* than the Konica. I also read (one post) that said the HP came with full toners (not starters). Two big pluses. The HPLIP that you referenced above was also quite reassuring that the driver was not just a basic PPD as Konica had, but rather a reaching out to the open source community. Not bad, HP. Not bad.

The final advantage the HP had over the Konica was the 500-sheet capacity tray and output and the door to clear jams is not in the back (small, quality of life thing). Not that I'm often running through an entire ream in one job, it is a nice "icing on the cake" feature. To be fair, the Konica did look impressive, too; but the HP has edged it out in my estimation and that is what I ended up ordering (under $600, tax and shipping included).

Thank you and GreyGeek for your replies. Once I have the printer and set it up, I'll update this thread for posterity on precision under Linux (Kubuntu 14.04LTS, specifically).

Comment

I think you will be pleased. HP pringters are my preference. My previous HP was the 5610 multiprinter,, which I still have to use the scanner part on occasions. When I plug it in it is immediately recognized and configured automatically.

My current printer is an HP Laser Jet Professional p1606dn duplex monochrome laser, which I've had for several years. I'm on my 3rd 3,000 page toner and it has never jammed. It sets next to my computer with all lights off, as if it was totally powered down. When I send something to the printer the lights immediately turn on, and spits out the page(s) within seconds. Best personal printer I have ever owned.

Comment

Originally posted by myrkat View Post
                  After searching around, I actually found the M551dn *cheaper* than the Konica. I also read (one post) that said the HP came with full toners (not starters). Two big pluses. The HPLIP that you referenced above was also quite reassuring that the driver was not just a basic PPD as Konica had, but rather a reaching out to the open source community. Not bad, HP. Not bad.

The final advantage the HP had over the Konica was the 500-sheet capacity tray and output and the door to clear jams is not in the back (small, quality of life thing). Not that I'm often running through an entire ream in one job, it is a nice "icing on the cake" feature. To be fair, the Konica did look impressive, too; but the HP has edged it out in my estimation and that is what I ended up ordering (under $600, tax and shipping included).

Thank you and GreyGeek for your replies. Once I have the printer and set it up, I'll update this thread for posterity on precision under Linux (Kubuntu 14.04LTS, specifically).
                  Glad you found what your looking for, will look forward to your impression when the new printer arrives.
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Just an Update:

Well, I've had the HP for almost half a year, and the ONLY issue I have is: there is no "Econo-mode" - that is, there's no setting anywhere (linux, mac, or windows) that will use half the toner or whatever. Most printers have this, Draft Mode, EconoMode, something. HP must figure on selling toner.

Speaking of toner, I do believe the unit came with full toners (not starter toner as is typical); that said, if I stay with genuine HP toner, it would be cheaper to order a new printer whenever I needed all four toners replaced. It is not cheap. There is, of course, "compatible" toners for a fraction of the cost. I have not needed to replace toner as of yet, and I've gone through about 6 reams of paper at least.

This thing is a beast and a work-horse; I love it. My only linux issue is with Scribus. For some reason (and it is scribus' fault) it cannot print to the printer, even though the dialog is there. I just save the .ps file and print from anything else (Okulus, etc).

So anyone looking for a good linux-compatible color laser, the HP m551 is really a sweet machine. Definitely worth the bucks.

Comment

Another update, going on just over 13 months of ownership and use.

Within the original warranty period, the imager started producing gray-yellow smears. I was immediately depressed, as this is a really solid HP printer! I suppose there are lemons. However, I soon discovered another reason why I paid top dollar for this thing: HP Support.

I submitted an online ticket, and within 3-4 hours, I got a call from the (obviously) overseas help center. I described everything, even offered to e-mail scans (which they gladly wanted). After about 20 minutes worth of phone call, I was told a local repair guy was being assigned my case and said person should be calling within the next couple days.

I got the call later that afternoon! He was down in Santa Barbara (I'm in San Luis Obispo, about 2½ hours north) and we talked a bit, I explained that I *was* technically proficient, and he said, "It is a pretty straight-forward replacement, I could send the part to you or you can wait until I get up there in a few days" - I opted for the part, as I felt confidence in my abilities. Sure enough, the next MORNING, I get the package! Popped it out, read the simple instructions (just in case something tricky was needed, it was not), and I was up and printing in minutes! I boxed the faulty part in the enclosed box, using the pre-printed UPS sticker and sent it off.

TL/DR: After a part went bad, I was back up and printing within 24 hours: THAT is service.

Fast-forward about a year after that, and I am JUST NOW about to replace my BLACK toner, the color still have ~50% or so. This thing had to have come with FULL toners. Which is odd, considering that four (4) new HP toners run about $800-$900 (which is about $200 more than I bought the printer with said full toners included). Must be a big-business / government scam thing that HP is running. I bought "compatible" toner and will see how it goes in the next week or so when I replace it ($190 HP vs $60 clone).

I've gone through at least 6,000 pages - many were color / double-sided (newsletters, brochures, etc). I love this thing and love the linux HPLIP setup. I do wish there was an econo mode, but I get around it by lightening the photos and solids, etc. when they're a bit much and I have lots of them to print.

My family uses it as well (it's connected to the network via cable) and they print from other linux boxes, Mac Book Air, windows laptops, I even printed from my Android! It is FAST, too. Not just pages per minute (ppm), but fast to the first page (warm up). This thing is in my garage (man cave) and even on a cold morning, it is printing within a minute or less. My old OKI color laser took a few to warm up.

Anyway, I hope this thread helps anyone looking for a solid color laser under Linux (or mixed environments); it has many more functions than I'll likely use, but I do print a lot, and am quite happy with it. Sure, I had a minor issue with the imager thing, but holy cow (!) a 24-hour turn-around an up and running. Blew me away.

Comment

Originally posted by myrkat
                        HP Support.
                        I submitted an on-line ticket, and within 3-4 hours, I got a call from the (obviously) overseas help center. I described everything, even offered to e-mail scans (which they gladly wanted)...After a part went bad, I was back up and printing within 24 hours: THAT is service.
                        I had a similar experience when my HP printer/scanner's power supply failed. I was on the phone to Singapore, and the nice lady with a heavy accent went through a checklist, which included checking the output with a multimeter. I aced the checklist, and a replacement power supply arrived by air mail a few days later.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Another update: I finally ran out of BLACK toner first, and I have to say, I must have printed through a dozen reams of paper, LOTS of coverage (none of that 5% willy-nilly stuff). The three color toners are about 20-30% now, needing to replace soon. This printer DEFINITELY came with FULL toners! Priced together, the four genuine HP toners would run about $800+ and I paid $600 for the printer. Smacks of contract-pricing (i.e. the government or big corp is stuck with them, so they order genuine parts only or something).

I could not choke down the $200+ for a Genuine black, high yield toner, so I bought a "compatible" for about $66. It works just fine and I've gone through about 10% of it so far. Think I'm averaging about 200 pages a month or so...

I do miss having an Econo-mode / Toner-saver, but the printer seems efficient with ink, and the photos (in one of the newsletters I create and print) I just photo-edit them to be a tad "washed out" (brighter) so they use less ink and that way achieve "econo mode" for test prints, etc. There's a work-around for everything!
                          Last edited by myrkat; Aug 23, 2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X