Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia and screen artifacts (was: Time to expand this section of the forum)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nVidia and screen artifacts (was: Time to expand this section of the forum)

Well, we're into the release side of things now, but there are no other sections open yet for 14.04, so I'll post here.

I am posting this from 14.04 running on my Dell M6600 17" laptop booted from an 8 GB flash drive. I created it with a persistence file, so I am also using the nVidia driver. Seems to work fine. Not so good on my old desktop, however.

I downloaded and burned the 64 bit version, and booted my Lenovo / IBM Intellistation M Pro with a Quadro FX-1500/PCIe/SSE2 video card. I continue to get artefacts on the screen to the point that I cannot proceed. This machine will not allow USB boot, sadly, otherwise I could boot from the flash drive with nVidia driver that I am using now on my Dell laptop.

On the Intellistation M Pro, I booted successfully and got a full desktop using the digital interface between the card and the monitor. However, as noted, I get trashed draws on the screen to the point that I cannot see or read the KMenu. Hoping that it was just a digital interface issue, I connected another Dell monitor through the same card, but using the VGA Analog interface. Now it won't fully boot at all. It goes partway, and then displays what is in the attached photo that I took with my phone camera. I hope that it is clear enough that it can be read.

Anyone know where it stopped and why?

I'm not sure about installing 14.04 on this machine at all at the moment, unless I replace the video card -- something that I am loathe to do. I am pretty certain that it will work with the nVidia driver, as it always has in the past. However, how do I get that driver on the machine? Even if I could install it from the command line, Installing it requires a reboot to activate it. As soon as I reboot from the CD, I lose that driver. So, chicken/egg.

Will logging out and then in again activate the driver? Can I do that from the CD? How would I install the driver from the command line?

Suggestions?

Frank.

Nah - the picture is too fuzzy, and when I reduce it to fit here, it makes it even worse. I can take a shot again with my SLR and post that if anyone thinks we need it to solve this.

In the meantime, I'll see if I have another video card kicking around in my box of spare parts....

-FB
    Last edited by Frank616; Apr 18, 2014, 04:54 PM.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

No photo?

Is your USB drive powered up at boot time? (It's light comes on?). If so you may be able to boot to it from grub. I use a stanza like this in my 40_custom:

menuentry 'USB' {
    set root='(hd1)'
    chainloader +1
    }

Possibly booting to the grub menu, and entering the set roo and chainloader entries will allow you to boot to USB.

As far as the other: can you boot to text console using the hard drive? If so, you should be able to install the nvidia driver. It looks like the old 8762 series driver is needed for that decades old card.

Just so I'm clear: are you able to install or is it the install disc thats failing with the video arifacts? If that's the case, you might try burning the Minimal Install CD and installing from that. It uses a texxt installer and allows you to select what packages to install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Please Read Me

Comment

All:

OK, never mind. I found an old 'fanless' MSI NX8400GS card in my box of parts. It is a half height card, so I had to twist the locking tab on the top of the backing plate to make it vertical and get it to seat. However, the machine now comes up fully with the digital interface, and no artefacts.

Thanks.

Frank.

I guess the old card will just have to go in the trash....

Comment

You can install the driver from the command line,

Since Jockey has been superseded the proper way seems this:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install ubuntu-drivers-common
        Before this command you might want to check what's available:
        Code:
        ubuntu-drivers --help
        And:
        Code:
        ubuntu-drivers list

Comment

Oshunluvr:

No photo?
          Yeah, I guess you answered before I could update my post. The picture was too fuzzy to be of value.

In any case, changing the video card resolved all the issues.

I do have another question about an 'in place' upgrade, but I'll start another thread for that.

Frank.

Comment

I agree. It's time to start a new section.
            Dell Inspiron 531/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 4GB RAM/GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
            Kubuntu 16.04
            "I have a problem with the fact that they just make really 3rd rate products." Steve Jobs on Microsoft. From “Triumph of the Nerds"

Comment

Originally posted by ICMike View Post
              I agree. It's time to start a new section.
              I've closed the pre-release subforum and have moved this thread to the post-installation subforum. I've also changed the title.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                I've closed the pre-release subforum and have moved this thread to the post-installation subforum. I've also changed the title.
                Bossy...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Bossy...
                  See this?

I am (one of) the boss(es). So nyah!

Comment

Roflmao

Please Read Me

Comment

See this?
                      Hey, don't hijack my thread! I still need an answer!

Frank.

Comment

Have you tried completing the system build using the Nouveau driver, then installing the nVidia binary driver after the build is finished?

Comment

Steve:

Hey, don't hijack my thread! I still need an answer!
                          I should have read the thread more fully before posting.

This particular item is resolved by just replacing the video card. That is good enough.

Thanks.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
                          X