This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Could not start d-bus. Can you call qdbus?"

After applying updates today, I cannot log into kde. I get a window with the message "Could not start d-bus. Can you call qdbus?"

Any idea how to fix this? I tried logging in with a newly created account, but I get the same message.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    When all is finished, reboot:
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    Are you able to log in now?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried that before posting here. Does not fix the problem.

Comment

Looks like the problem may be with qdbus. If I try to run it, I get this:
        Code:
        samuraighost@Arisu ~ % qdbus
        qdbus: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin/qdbus': No such file or directory

Comment

Well, I solved the problem. I had to manually install the package qdbus-qt5. It works now. Looks like some package has a missing dependency.

Comment

Thanks for posting the fix. I encountered the problem this morning when I updated. (I am currently using my Win7 side, which I haven't run in six months. SLOOOOOOOW)

EDIT: Back up now after using the recovery mode to activate the network and then dropping to root to issue
            apt-get install qdbus-qt5

Recommendation: If you see this update in the system tray, BEFORE you trigger it be sure to install qdbus-qt5 FIRST!
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 23, 2014, 08:39 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Getting my desktop back:
              I came across this problem also. I didn't have easy access to comb the forum or the web, so I had to come up with my own solution. if I am not mistaken, kde is still entirely qt4 dependent, so I was hesitant to install anything qt5 related. I renamed the existing link(/usr/bin/qdbus) and created a new one (ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qdbus /usr/bin/qdbus). This allowed me to get back into my desktop.

Exploring the aftermath:
              The original link(and quite a few other qt links) are pointing to qt-chooser. qt-chooser appears to a middle man trying to let qt4 and qt5 coexist. output from qt-chooser:
              Code:
              $ qtchooser -print-env
              QT_SELECT="default"
              QTTOOLDIR="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/bin"
              QTLIBDIR="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"
              It appears qtchooser is where the problem lies. I am guessing that qtchooser got updated and the new version defaults to qt5 instead of qt4. I think this might have broader reaching problems due to the fact so many qt sym links point to it.

apparently you can control qtchooser version through your bash.rc https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1177823 I am going to give this a shot and see if it works, as I think it will be a better solution. I will post back
              FKA: tanderson

Comment

This one was not among the recent problems I had, made me wonder what the dependency is that did install qdbus-qt5 on my system.
                Here it was first installed on the 2nd. of March and then updated first on the 14th. and last on the 18th.

Comment

Ok editing my bashrc file didn't help. I did find a solution I am happy with.
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install qt4-default
                  this will uninstall qt5-default and install qt4-default. Thus fixing the qdbus problem and probably preventing others. The package is small and doesn't do much beyond replacing a config file.
                  FKA: tanderson

Comment

The kubuntu devs were having issues with qdbus in the lastest release. See http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2014/03/22...untu-devel.txt for details.

Solutions:
                    so the solutions are: a) replace qt5-default with qt4-default b) install qdbus-qt5 c) install kde-workspace-bin >= 4:4.11.6-0ubuntu3
                    which add some qdbus lookup magic to startkde
                    cheers,
                    bill
                    sigpic
                    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by bweinel View Post
                      The kubuntu devs were having issues with qdbus in the lastest release. See http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2014/03/22...untu-devel.txt for details.

Just to clarify. This issue was actually caused by 4:4.11.6-0ubuntu3 and was fixed in 4:4.11.6-0ubuntu5, so if you make sure kde-workspace is upgraded to >= 4:4.11.6-0ubuntu5 the issue should auto-resolve, if not that would constitute a bug.
                      apachelogger, Kubuntu Core Developer and Master of the Minions.

Comment

OK, after running Muon and updating a whole bunch of KDE related packages, I am getting this error, "Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus?"

I cannot log into my desktop

HELP!

Comment

Same here, couldn't login after latest updates. I tried installing qdbus-qt5 (that didn't help) and then qt4-default (that didn't work either).
                          Luckily I made a backup of my system yesterday so I reinstalled that. I'll keep away from updates for the moment.

Comment

Die the 3 sollutions provided by Bill here. None help me out, i keep getting a dbus error on my system. Oddly enough going back to a previous kernel i keep getting the same issue now. So obviously it is caused by something outside of that.

Anyone have other suggestions (no backups here, simple workstation, figured i wouldn't need it... doh)

Comment

Has anyone found a workaround? I have absolutely no way to log into my system right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X