• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No mp4, avi video in Dragonplayer

I did a fresh install of Trusty.
    Installed kubuntu-restricted-addons.
    Installed kubuntu-restricted-extras.
    Dragonplayer plays DVD's, iso's and webm without a hitch.
    But allthough there is sound, there is no video with mp4 or avi.
    When I try it, the program tells me it has to search for a plugin: h.264 codec or
    DivX MPEG-4 decoder. And then can't find it.
    The same files play fine with SMplayer.
    I'm sure I forgot to install something, but I shouldn't know what. Personal memory leak or something. And Google didn't help either
    Any help would be appreciated.

You beat me to it. VLC works fine, its only Dragon Player that seems to have the issue. I installed every codec and library I could find and it still wont work.

Comment

Default vs recommended Phonon backend

Earlier: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post346878

Trusty - h.264 - Phonon

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2014/02/16...el.html#t09:33
      debfx can anyone play h.264 encoded files with phonon in trusty? 09:33
      debfx gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg has been removed from the archive and none of the others seems to be able to decode it. 09:33
      jussi debfx: can you give me a sample file to test? 09:47
      debfx jussi: http://download.openbricks.org/sampl...5fps_1800K.MP4 10:03
      BluesKaj Hiyas all 13:15
      ghostcube o/ 13:17
      soee debfx: it doesnt fork for me (h.264) 17:05
      soee debfx: i had to switch to VLC backend 17:05
      soee *work 17:05
      http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2014/03/07...el.html#t12:40
      seaLne apachelogger: is dragon (prosumably phonon?) ment to not be able to play h.264 in trusty? (upgraded from saucy) 12:40
      shadeslayer seaLne: known issue 12:40
      shadeslayer I'm investigating today 12:40
      seaLne ah ok 12:40
      apachelogger stupid gstreamer 12:40
      apachelogger we should just use vlc :P 12:40
      :~$ apt-cache show phonon-backend-vlc
      Package: phonon-backend-vlc
      Priority: optional
      Section: universe/sound
      Description: Phonon VLC backend
      Phonon is the Qt 4 multimedia API, which provides a task-oriented abstraction
      layer for capturing, mixing, processing, and playing audio and video content.
      This package contains VLC backend for Phonon.

Homepage: https://projects.kde.org/projects/kd...non/phonon-vlc
      KDE System Settings > Multimedia > Audio and Video Settings > Backend

With the GStreamer backend

With the VLC backend

A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I don't have any problems with Amorok and mp3 files, I even have sound in Dragon. The video is the problem. So I didn't think the Amorok question was relevant.

If I understood your answer right, I have to install the VLC backend and use that in stead of gstreamer.
        That means install VLC. I didn't want to do that.
        And it still leaves the question: why doesn't Dragon find any codecs?
        Should I file a bug?

Comment

It is always...

And it still leaves the question: why doesn't Dragon find any codecs?
          I think that this is the problem:
          debfx gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg has been removed from the archive and none of the others seems to be able to decode it. 09:33
          So, there are missing bits and pieces...

The gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg /2/ has been removed because the Debian & Ubuntu decided to pick the Libav side /1/. There is the gstreamer1.0-(libav) (?) but it is not working with the Phonon/GStreamer (?).

Should I file a bug?
          It's always a good idea to file bugs.

Links

1. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...v-Winff-ffmpeg
          2. http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/11/21...se.html#t10:49
          Last edited by Rog132; Mar 10, 2014, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I had similar problems with Gwenview when it advance to play an mp4 file. I have filed a bug report 331901 at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=331901. I also did a fresh install after the beta came out and Dragon player does not work, but VLC does. I am wondering if it is caused by the KDE 4.12.3 packages that have been installed.

What I find puzzling is that Dragon player works on another 14.04 system that was installed some weeks ago and has all software updates.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
              I marked this thread as solved. Installing VLC did the trick.
              OTOH I still think there is a problem when the included videoplayer does not work out of the box

Comment

Pondering: How to solve the gstreamer problem

kubuntu-devel -- Kubuntu Developer Discussion: gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and how we won't have it for 14.04
                - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...ch/008170.html
                Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
                Mon Mar 24 11:17:52 UTC 2014

more good news

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg was removed from the archive [1] because it does
                not build with libav9 (it retracted the libavformat/url.h header).

gstffmpeg has a builtin libav copy that also fails to build [2],
                supposedly because of gcc stuff.

so short of bringing back libav8 (which probably would raise security
                concerns) we'll likely not be able to have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg which
                essentially means that whatever codecs were only provided by that
                package (might have been quite a few) won't be there anymore and thus
                a selection of file formats won't be able to play....

also, it was suggested that perhaps we should switch to phonon-vlc,
                for which it may be "a bit" late in the cycle, plus ISO size continues
                to be a problem.

much crap. eveywhere.

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...lishinghistory
                [2] http://paste.ubuntu.com/7145771

Comment

To resolve media problems with Gwenview I installed "phonon-backend-vlc". This also helped with Dragonplayer being able to work.

I was also wanting to convert an ogv file created from RecordMyDesktop to an mp4 file, and to do this I needed ffmpeg which I found was not available in the repositories. Also, none of the alternatives would do what I wanted. In the end, I decided to add the repository available from here. This version worked well for me and did all the conversions I needed.

Comment

Rog, I see that your PPA has FFmpeg version 2.1.4 for Quantal and Saucy, and version 2.2 for Trusty. Severinsson's PPA offers the much older FFmpeg version 0.10 for Saucy and older, and a not-so-new 1.2.5 for Trusty. When I rebuild my T520, I would like to ditch the usual LibAV for FFmpeg, now that the project appears to have some new life. Do you use your own packages on a daily basis?

Comment

About ffmpeg & libav

Do you use your own packages on a daily basis?
                      Yes.

ffmpeg & libav

Earlier: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post332936

The Jon Severinsson's FFmpeg PPA is offering 'upgrades' from the Libav to the FFmpeg. Note the compatibility !
                      ...FFmpeg 0.7 is backward compatible with FFmpeg 0.6 and 0.5, as well as Libav 0.6 and 0.5; FFmpeg 0.10 is backward compatible with FFmpeg 0.8 and 0.9, as well as Libav 0.7 and 0.8; FFmpeg 0.11 is not backward compatible with any FFmpeg or Libav versions; FFmpeg 1.0 is not backward compatible with any FFmpeg or Libav versions; FFmpeg 1.2 is backwards compatible with FFmpeg 1.1, as well as Libav 9; FFmpeg 2.1 is backwards compatible with FFmpeg 2.0, but not any Libav versions...

My PPA is offering the FFmpeg installed side by side with the Libav. Applications are build either with the Libav or with the FFmpeg libraries.

Same application, thumbnailer, build with the Libav&FFmpeg libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                        To resolve media problems with Gwenview I installed "phonon-backend-vlc". This also helped with Dragonplayer being able to work.

I was also wanting to convert an ogv file created from RecordMyDesktop to an mp4 file, and to do this I needed ffmpeg which I found was not available in the repositories. Also, none of the alternatives would do what I wanted. In the end, I decided to add the repository available from here. This version worked well for me and did all the conversions I needed.
                        curious ,,,,,,, would "avconv" not do this for you ??

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          curious ,,,,,,, would "avconv" not do this for you ??

VINNY
                          Yes, avconv did work but I needed to append one mp4 file to another and I could not find a way to do this with avconv. The procedures that I used to do this I recorded in Kontact, Popup Notes, but since the latest release of KDE 4.12.95 my notes.ics file cannot be accessed by Kontact. So KDE has taken one step backwards in this area.

Comment

So, I was also wondering why Amarok, Dragon Player and SMplayer weren't working while running Kubuntu 14.04 beta 2 and found this.
                            My questions:
                            1) To have those programs working and also system sounds, like always, which package do I have to install?
                            2) ffmpeg was really removed from the repositories and will not be part of Kubuntu anymore? (I ask this because I was kind of waiting for packages to have audio and video working again)
                            3) Since I'm happy so far with SMplayer and Amarok, is there a way to install only phonon-backend-vlc without actually installing vlc?

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                              So, I was also wondering why Amarok, Dragon Player and SMplayer weren't working while running Kubuntu 14.04 beta 2 and found this.
                              My questions:
                              1) To have those programs working and also system sounds, like always, which package do I have to install?
                              2) ffmpeg was really removed from the repositories and will not be part of Kubuntu anymore? (I ask this because I was kind of waiting for packages to have audio and video working again)
                              3) Since I'm happy so far with SMplayer and Amarok, is there a way to install only phonon-backend-vlc without actually installing vlc?
                              If you haven't already, make sure you install "phonon-backend-gstreamer1.0".

Comment

Working...
                              X