This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to setup KMail with Yahoo IMAP

I successfully setup KMail with Yahoo today. I took me a few attempts to get it right, so I thought this would be posting. The things I did not specifically mention here where left with the default settings.

The Kubutu release is saucy.
    The KDE Platform is Version 4.11.3
    KMail version is 4.11.3
    This is a VirtuaBox guest.

Akonadi and the AkonadiTray

AkonadiTray icon is visable in the system tray.
    Make sure Akonadi is running. You should be able to see the AkonadiTray icon in the system tray. You may have to click Show hidden icons to see it.
    Right click the AkonadiTray icon and select Start Akonadi.

AkonadiTray icon is not visable in the system tray.
    If the AkonadiTray icon is not visable in the system tray in hidden icons, right click on the desktop and choose the Run Command and type akonadi. Choose Akonadi Configuration. You will be warned that the Aknonadi personal information management system is not running. Click the Start button to start it. The Akonadi Configuration window opens.

The Akonadi Configuration window.
    Make sure you are on the Akonadi Resources Configuration tab.
    Click the Add button.
    Select IMAP E-mail Server in the KDE Control Module Window that opens and click OK. The IMAP E-Mail Server window opens.

Configuration of the IMAP E-Mail Server.
    Select the General tab.
    The Account Name is your email address.
    The IMAP Server for Yahoo is imap.mail.yahoo.com
    The Username is your Yahoo email address.
    Enter your Yahoo password the Password field.
    I left the Mail Checking Options set to Enable interval mail checking 5 minutes.
    Select the Advanced tab.
    On the Advanced tab Under Connection Settings select SSL/TLS. Set the Port to 993 and the Authentication to PLAIN.
    Click OK.

Launch and Configure KMail

I did not use the Account Assistant. I configured manually.

Edit Identity
    In KMail click Settings and select Configure KMail.
    Click the Identities icon in the left section of the Configure KMail window and select your email address you are setting up. Then click the Modify button. The Edit Identity window opens.
    On the General tab enter the sender name you want to show in Your name field.
    I just put Home in the Organization field.
    The email address goes in the email address field.
    Click OK

Configuring the Outgoing Account
    Click the Accounts icon in the Configure - Kmail window and select the Sending tab.
    Then click Add.
    Type the name of the account. I typed my own name here, life0riley.
    Select Type SMTP.
    Then click Create and Configure.

The Configure account - KMail window opens.
    Select the General tab.
    On the General tab enter smtp.mail.yahoo.com for the Outgoing mail server.
    Check Server requires authentication.
    Enter your login which is your full Yahoo email address.
    Enter your Yahoo password and check Store SMTP password.
    Select the Advanced tab.
    Make sure you have the the following settings on the Advanced tab.
    Select SSL for Encryption.
    The Port is 465
    Authentication is PLAIN.

Test your settings by sending an email.
    You should see this notification telling you your email was sent successfully.

I searched the forum and didn't find recent post for KMail and yahoo in the "How To's."

Thanks to woodsmoke for posting this.
    How to: setting up Kontact Kmail with g-mail @ others
    I referred to this when I setup KMail with gmail IMAP on precise.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by life0riley; Dec 23, 2013, 07:21 AM. Reason: specify Yahoo for emai and password
    sigpic

I decided to join the forums just to say thank you for this :-) I found this via Google search after scratching my head over KMail. Now I've got it configured for both of my Yahoo! accounts and it works perfectly.

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums!
      I'm glad you found this useful.
      sigpic

Comment

lifeOreilly wrote:

Thanks to woodsmoke for posting this.
        How to: setting up Kontact Kmail with g-mail @ others
        I referred to this when I setup KM
        Thanks much!

woodappreciativesmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Upon doing a clean install of 14.04 I came back to this guide to set up my KMail client for 3 different Yahoo! accounts. I discovered that all of my outgoing emails were being sent from the same account. After playing around with a few different settings I think I figured things out so I thought I would pass along the info.

If you have multiple identities set up, then you must go to the "Configure KMail" utility, and click on the Identities header. Select an identity, click Modify and click over to the Advanced tab. Make sure the checkbox for "Outgoing Account" is selected, and then choose the appropriate account for outgoing mail. Send a test email and, if you encounter errors upon sending, then you must go to Configure KMail>Accounts, select the account in question and click Modify. On the Advanced tab make sure that the checkbox for "Use custom sender address" is UNCHECKED.

Comment

I'm updating this because the original instructions are dated. This thread was started when Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander was still supported.

I just setup KMail with Yahoo email today in Kubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet. I guess I am getting lazy and decided to try the account assistant instead of setting it up manually.

Here are the details...

The Kubuntu release is 15.04 Vivid Vervet
            The KDE Platform is Version 4.14.6
            KMail version is 4.14.6
            Plasma 5
            This is a VirtualBox guest

Configure KMail with the Account Assistant

Steps:
            1. Launch KMail
            The account assistant pops up

2. Fill out the following...
            • your name as you want it to appear
            • your Yahoo email address
            • your Yahoo email address password
            Make sure Find Provider Settings on the Internet is checked.

3. Click Next (Your Full name, E-mail address, and Password are already filled in)
            4. Select IMAP account or POP3 account (I'm selectig IMAP)
            5. Click Create Account
            6. Click Finish

Edit Identity
            1. In KMail click Settings and select Configure KMail.
            2. Click the Identities icon in the left section of the Configure KMail window and select your email address you are setting up. Then click the Modify button. The Edit Identity window opens.
            3. On the General tab enter the sender name you want to show in Your name field.
            4. I just put Home in the Organization field.
            5. The email address goes in the email address field.
            6. Then as @GKNByNW says here, "click over to the Advanced tab. Make sure the checkbox for "Outgoing Account" is selected".
            7. Click OK.

Test your settings by sending a test email.

That was too easy!

Each folder showed the correct number of messages, but I could not see the folder contents. I was stuck on the Welcome to KMail splash screen. I had to exit KMail and launch again to view my messages. Everything is working good. I had hundreds of emails in the inbox and KMail was able to sync without issue.

Thanks claydoh!
            Yahoo mail in Kontact/KMail? post=365315
            Last edited by life0riley; Jun 13, 2015, 12:13 PM. Reason: Identity must be edited
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GKNByNW View Post
              Upon doing a clean install of 14.04 I came back to this guide to set up my KMail client for 3 different Yahoo! accounts. I discovered that all of my outgoing emails were being sent from the same account. After playing around with a few different settings I think I figured things out so I thought I would pass along the info.

If you have multiple identities set up, then you must go to the "Configure KMail" utility, and click on the Identities header. Select an identity, click Modify and click over to the Advanced tab. Make sure the checkbox for "Outgoing Account" is selected, and then choose the appropriate account for outgoing mail. Send a test email and, if you encounter errors upon sending, then you must go to Configure KMail>Accounts, select the account in question and click Modify. On the Advanced tab make sure that the checkbox for "Use custom sender address" is UNCHECKED.
              @GKNByNW, Thank you for posting this. I didn't have an identity setup at all after setting up KMail in Kubuntu 15.04. It was just set up to "Default". I realized it when I attempted to send an email and was asked to fill in From.

Edit...Edit Identity was added to updated "How to" here.
              Last edited by life0riley; Jun 13, 2015, 12:22 PM. Reason: Updated How to for Vivid
              sigpic

Comment

Sorry for the late reply :lol: Thanks for the info for 15.04. I tried setting up Kmail on 15.04 and it *appeared* to work fine but after a couple of reboots Kmail was not loading my mail (I have multiple mailboxes set up) and not giving me notifications of new messages. Perhaps things have been updated since then, but the issues I was having with Kmail are just one of many reasons why I went back to 14.04. If I do decide to give 15.04 another go I will probably set up my mailboxes using the Account Assistant wizard.

Comment

I have only a single account and have had no issues so far. I have it setup on two installations of Kubuntu 15.04 and Fedora 22 KDE Spin. So far no issues at all. There are 1000's of emails in the inbox.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X