Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpha 1 Installed after using the Try Kubuntu!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha 1 Installed after using the Try Kubuntu!!

For those, like me, who found that "Try Kubuntu" didn't work before this Alpha, it now works, and you can now check it out before doing an install. I decided to reinstall using this Alpha as I thought it would be best to restart my system after all the updates over the past month. I continue to be impressed with the excellant quality of software by the developers. I think that this Alpha is equivalent to a M$ pre-release Beta.

The problems that I had with Trusty not turning the PC off on Shut down has been fixed. I have Shut down five times without a problem. I am doing this posting from my Trusty system. I am wondering how long I can resist not using this system for my Laptop that is used for all my main activities.

Have you noticed that a lot of the updates for kde, in the past couple days, have been to 4.12? I'm currently (as of this moment) upgrading, and it looks like the base kde files are now 4.12. I've also been seeing a few qt5 updates, but that has mostly been dev files. I still haven't finished my first cup o' coffee, so I didn't look too hard at the 136 file update. as soon as it's done and my system reboots, I'll report back.

edit: Nope, About System is still reporting KDE as 4.11.4 and QT as 4.8.4
    Last edited by Buddlespit; Dec 20, 2013, 05:29 AM. Reason: more info
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
      For those, like me, who found that "Try Kubuntu" didn't work before this Alpha, it now works, and you can now check it out before doing an install.
      Yes, I second that. It's working now, though, I installed Google-Chrome but neither the program nor the icon is visible or in /usr/bin. No error message. Just not visible. It's not the end of the world, really. And (drum roll) the first time analogue "line in" wasn't muted per default. So I could fire up my Hifi stuff without bothering $ alsamixer what I did always in the first place.

Comment

Ahh, no, line in wasn't unmuted by default. Had my headphones connected to the AVR, so no wonder I could listen to the radio lol. The good old $ alsamixer -> unmute line in is still necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
          Have you noticed that a lot of the updates for kde, in the past couple days, have been to 4.12? I'm currently (as of this moment) upgrading, and it looks like the base kde files are now 4.12. I've also been seeing a few qt5 updates, but that has mostly been dev files. I still haven't finished my first cup o' coffee, so I didn't look too hard at the 136 file update. as soon as it's done and my system reboots, I'll report back.

edit: Nope, About System is still reporting KDE as 4.11.4 and QT as 4.8.4
          Yes, I have been having many updates prior to installing Alpha 1. Before then, and even now, my Kinfocentre Summary shows KDE as 4.11.97 whereas Kinfocentre About System and applications such as Kaffeine and Muon show the version of KDE as 4.12. I suspect that there are more 4.12 updates to come through.

For QT, I have not changed anything on my system but qt5 is available. Qt4-default and qt5-default are not installed, but the version of qt4-default is 4:4.8.4

Comment

The KDE platform and Plasma will not advance beyond 4.11.x -- the focus there is now on KDE Frameworks 5 and Plasma Workspaces 2. KDE applications will continue to advance for a bit, with 4.12 having been released two days ago.

From the 4.12 announcement:
            The KDE Community is proud to announce the latest major updates to KDE Applications delivering new features and fixes. With the Plasma Workspaces and the KDE Platform frozen and receiving only long term support, those teams are focused on the technical transition to Frameworks 5. The upgrade in the version number for the Platform is merely for the convenience of packaging. All bug fixes and minor features developed since the release of Plasma Workspaces, Applications and Platform 4.11 have been included.

Comment

an old glitch in Kubuntu 13.10/14.04, also occurs in Manjaro Linux:
              Kodak DX3600 via usb -> options pop up -> open in File manager -> /camera is in the address line but the folder is empty.

It's not a KDE related problem. It works ootb in e.g. Kanotix-KDE and OpenSUSE 13.1-KDE.

Comment

At here (proposed enabled):

For QT, I have not changed anything on my system but qt5 is available. Qt4-default and qt5-default are not installed, but the version of qt4-default is 4:4.8.4

The KDE 4 and the Kubuntu 14.04 are using the Qt4. The Ubuntu is using the Qt5. If you install applications from the Ubuntu side then you will get the Qt5 libraries.

At here:

Last edited by Rog132; Dec 21, 2013, 05:01 AM.
                A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Yes, I get identical output as you on my system. I assume that the Kinfocentre Summary on your system shows KDE SC Version 4.11.97. Previously, to resolve problems, I installed qt5-default and I am still unsure about the purpose of this package.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                    At here (proposed enabled):
                    How stable is proposed?

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                    I installed qt5-default and I am still unsure about the purpose of this package.
                    It's a development package. QT5 has to be enabled in KDE to be used, otherwise, just about everything qt related that we can install is for writing qt enabled kde software.
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 21, 2013, 11:32 PM.
                    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

guys, I never get any further with Trusty Alpha than the password request after i choose to "Try Kubuntu" from a X86 image. Anyone knows what the reason is?
                      I would likew to have a look at this alpha but I cant.....

Comment

would you recommend to install this alpha on my production machine, or should I still wait for at least a beta?

Comment

About version numbers and repositories

The version numbers are something that can told something or maybe not

The 'KDE SC Version' version in the KInfocenter is telling the build moment KDE library version. It is not telling what you are now using.

The Kinfocenter source ,kde-workspace/kinfocenter/Modules/infosummary/infosum.cpp, has:

Code:
                            osWidget->setLabelTwo(QString(KDE_VERSION_STRING));
                          The 'KDE_VERSION_STRING' is from the kdeversion.h and it is from the kdelibs5-dev.

The current Trusty Kinfocenter (version 4.11.4) was build with the 'kdelibs5-dev 4:4.11.97-0ubuntu1'

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/tr...er/003976.html
                          --> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/....11.4-0ubuntu1
                          ---> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/15875...LOADING.txt.gz

About repositories

Proposed:

- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
                          - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed

With the pre-release the proposed is the build place. The KDE packages are first build and tested at the Kubuntu-Ninjas PPA. Then they are copied to the proposed to build and test again.

Are the proposed stable - well - this is pre-release. It is not for those who want the stable release.
                          Last edited by Rog132; Dec 22, 2013, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Do you....

would you recommend to install this alpha on my production machine, or should I still wait for at least a beta?

If it is one and only installation I would wait to the summer - few months after the final release.

Useful information: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...elease-caveats

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitry Prihodko View Post
                              guys, I never get any further with Trusty Alpha than the password request after i choose to "Try Kubuntu" from a X86 image. Anyone knows what the reason is?
                              I would likew to have a look at this alpha but I cant.....
                              I have not been asked to enter a password for "Try Kubuntu". I just tried my usb stick to check what happened. On one occasion the screen was locked and it asked for a password. In this case I just selected cancel and it returned to the desktop. Passwords are only requested in the installation process and from memory, the "Try Kubuntu" password is blank.

When I downloaded the iso image from the Alpha-1 site, that finished with a smaller iso file size and it did not work when I selected "Try Kubuntu". I then went to this site and this image was OK. My system shows the file size for trusty-desktop-amd64.iso as 996.0MiB. It might be worth having another go at downloading the current build of the iso image.

Comment

Working...
                              X