X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin as root won't lauch Kate [KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/kate']

Hi !

Coming back today on an old issue, as indicated in the thread title... I understood it is a KDE issue.

After a lot of google trying to understand and to find a solution for Kubuntu, I finally installed "rootactionsmenu", but I would like to know if ever a solution has been found lately.

Besides "rootactionsmenu" doesn't seem to work within "Dolphin as root" which is another issue when we need to access to priviledged folders and files. I tried to install the service in my user context AND in root context. The service works fine in a regular Dolphin session, but doesn't even appear in the context menu when I kdesudo Dolphin. Is there a way to make it work ?

Thanks for your help and information, especially for this issue with KDEInit (very annoying)

Guillaume

Can't you just run kdesudo kate?

Comment

Ever tried just run kdesudo dolphin?

Comment

I'm sorry I was not clear enough... Thought you all knew about this issue which appeared many years ago with KDE 4 and is common to many distros, not just Kubuntu. So here are some detailed explanations (for you to be able to reproduce the situation)

Using dolphin to launch kate on a file : no problem

Using Dolphin as root (kdesudo dolphin) to launch Kate (as root) on a file (right-click context menu) : KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/kate'

kdesudo dolphin works fine, but if I right-click on a file and select "open with Kate", then it only work once (the first time). If I do it twice, then I got the error message. If I close Kate and retry, error message, if I close close Dolphin+Kate and retry : error message... The first attempt in a session to use this function works but the following won't.

It's not only Kate, if you try to launch Gwenview or K3b within Dolphin as Root with a right-click context menu, you get the error. This situation lasts for years. Some say it is a problem with kdesu/kdesudo PATH, others talk about DBus... Some guys have found turnarounds for OpenSuse or Gentoo...

Here's another thread on the subject (with Precise Pangolin) :
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...olphin-as-root

Referenced as Bug450203 on Bugzilla :
        https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=450203#c26
        (workarounds for OpenSuse explained here)

Also on KDE Bugtracking (many times) :
        https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75492

Google this issue, you get tons of results... That's why I'm surprised you didn't understand what I was talking about. That's why I'm surprised there is apparently no solution for Kubuntu.

Meanwhile I use MC to be able to do my job from within Kubuntu 13.10 (and 12.04)!

Thanks for your interest.
        Guillaume

Comment

Concerning "rootactionsmenu" service addon :

is it normal not to have the menu when kdesudo dolphin ?

Comment

It depends....

Concerning "rootactionsmenu" service addon :

is it normal not to have the menu when kdesudo dolphin ?
            It depends - how did you install it ?

The root is another user. If you installed the service menu for an user then only the user can see the service menu.

If you installed the service menu for all users then the root can see it.

Last edited by Rog132; Dec 11, 2013, 07:51 AM.
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks for the answer... I'm wondering what you mean with "installed the service menu for all users"...

First
              I installed the service being me (not root) from within Dolphin as indicated by install service
              Then I opened Dolphin with kdesudo and noticed the root actions menu was not there, so I installed it being root (a second install). But despite success message, I can not see the root actions in the context menu when I'm root.

Should I have it installed being root the first time to get it in all Dolphin sessions ? Or is there another way to install a service in Dolphin for all users ?

Comment

I just de-installed the service being me...

kdesudo dolphin > then install the service being root > still nothing in root session AND in user session of Dolphin.

I'm confused here ! ;o)

Comment

'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'

I'm wondering what you mean with "installed the service menu for all users"...
                  The service menus explained: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/..._Service_Menus

All users can use the service menus from the /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus

Single user can use the service menus from own home directory: ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus

I just de-installed the service being me...

kdesudo dolphin > then install the service being root > still nothing in root session AND in user session of Dolphin.

I'm confused here ! ;o)
                  Did you close all Dolphin windows ?

Tried at here:

- installing the rootactions with root rights (kdesudo dolphin)
                  - closing all Dolphin windows
                  - starting the Dolphin with the root rights (kdesudo dolphin)

=> The service menu is only available for the root.

If you install the service menus as root then you are using the root's home: /root/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus

The root has own home directory and own settings.

I would simply copy the desktop files from the ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus to the /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus.
                  Last edited by Rog132; Dec 11, 2013, 11:51 AM.
                  A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                  Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Many thanks to you Rog132... I just learned something... and your explanation with screen captures is just perfect...

I will check this link to discover new aspects of KDE I don't even suspect. Thanks again for your time...

Comment

You can use Kate from Dolphin as root, but not with the commands you are using.

You can run,
                      Code:
                      kdesudo dbus-launch dolphin
                      Best way is to edit KMenu and add the login for Dolphin as root there,

The command is:
                      Code:
                      kdesudo dbus-launch dolphin %i -caption %c %u
                      root-file-manager icon Download.
                      http://ubuntuone.com/2IWTjwUHv2xyZ9nIzVyRlK
                      Unpack and put in /usr/share/icons
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Danum; Dec 11, 2013, 04:21 PM. Reason: Add icon

Comment

Yes !!! It seems to work fine ! Thank you... This is really great to get this working as it should...

Btw, I have one more question for this topic : how can I change the caption to indicate "Dolphin as Root" instead of just "Dolphin" ? I'd like to be able to recognize easily my root session between 2 dolphin windows...

I tried many options :

-caption %c %u : doesn't work
                        -caption 'dolphin as root' : doesn't work

I also tried Qt options like --name or --title... No go...

The only thing I found that works for naming the window is when you use the advanced option "execute as a different user" but then I fall back into the initial problem with the launch of Kate...

Any idea?

Thanks again...

Comment

Best way is to change the color of the page, (which I had forgot to do for root on this install)

As user
                          System Settings > Application Appearance > Colors > Get New Schemes, search for, KDE4-seasons-Colors and install, click on Summer > Apply
                          For root run
                          kdesudo systemsettings
                          Install as above but use Autumn
                          Below is dolphin as root and blue is dolphin as user,
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphinas root.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	640563 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin as user.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	640564
                          Last edited by Danum; Dec 11, 2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Ok this is one option... Thanks for the suggestion...

Comment

Well I guess this thread is now to be marked as "solved"... My issues are gone, thanks to you. Many thanks...

And thanks for the edit, Danum : providing the root file manager icon is a very nice gesture... I appreciate very much.

Thank you all

Comment

Working...
                              X