This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homerun Kicker menu!!!

Just ran across this while checking out Blue Shell's launchpad page. https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/homerun I've never been a fan of the homerun launcher, but the homerun kicker is pretty nice. It looks nicer than the default kicker menu and supports search. It changes with your plasma theme also. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I've always missed the old KDE menus. This seems to be somewhere in between. Check it out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	648065
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

LOL
    love the sig! I guess that you are the only one that got it!
    And, methinks I'll have to check that kicker out!

woodalwaystryingnewthingssmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The Martians are coming!
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

lol
        wooafeard!smoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

that dose look nice ,,,,,,what the hay ,,,lets check it out.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            I would NEVER be able to "culture" Gammarus, today , 1-1/2 years later with the weather outside so frightful... I espy...... wee Beasties!
            Where are they? They appear to be in your window because I think I see the outline of a car covered in snow behind them. Are you planning to sell those shrimp to Long John Silver or spread them in ponds in your area to eat the mosquito larvae?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A couple of visual glitches with ivy bridge "i915" and opening over windows, but other wise is my new favorite menu.
              Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                LOL
                love the sig! I guess that you are the only one that got it!
                And, methinks I'll have to check that kicker out!

woodalwaystryingnewthingssmoke
                I hate to admit that I had never seen "The Day The Earth Stood Still" until last year. It was on a VHS tape (of many) that my grandfather had recorded. He had all the good black and white films, as well as every episode of: Star Trek, Carroll Burnett, Benny Hill, Twilight Zone, etc. The title just never grabbed my attention. That phrase was reused in "Army of Darkness", which lead me to finding it was originally used in "The Day The Earth Stood Still". The context in which it was used in "Army of Darkness" was pretty funny, which prompted my sig.
                Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

I don't mean to get off topic, but GG asked about "Gammarus". I will allow the gentle reader to peruse the Wikipedia page.

Size wise they run from summmat in the environs of 1/8 inch to summat more than 1/4 inch in the local environs.

What I plan to do with them is provide them for the other campuses if their supplies do not arrive in a timely manner for a certain laboratory which occurs around Thanksgiving in the U.S.

The head of the department has never been able to get the powers that be in the administration to allow a "standing order" or "very early order" to be placed for live materials because, basically the "business types" in the administration think that most academics are basically clueless and can't be trusted to think that far ahead.

This also occurs with orders of other items such as algal specimens and fungi/bacteria.

Now.....I can see somewhat the sense of it for bacteria because a bacterium "might get loose" .....and of that the Admin, business types, have no clue, from a sealed shipping container in a sealed petri dish. There ARE protocols for this ...

Since the campus whereat I teach is the "biotechnology" campus and I am just about THE most qualified of any of the faculty, including the permanent faculty to DO..... laboratory work in a variety of fields ..... I was asked if I wished to go to the campus "away from where the ACTION is".... that is the main campus and where the preponderance of students enroll to teach "down there".

It was never outright SAID to me, but basically, I was allowed to order whatever I want, within limits, for teaching/research supplies and the "main campus" head of the department just "looks the other way".

In addition to "normal labs", my students have done "cloning", that is using carrot callus, "DNA fingerprinting" using Trout sperm, and species identification and sign lable making for trees along the school walking paths( permanent signage) in addition to their normal laboratories.

Beginning last semester, due to my diving procilivities, wherein I taught my very last lecture using SKYPE from the Bahamas.... LOL... won't be doing THAT again! lol , but my students volunteer to go on field trip to a store which specializes in Salt Water tanks and volunteer to study, in addition to the normal curriculum, Symbiodinium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiodinium

BTW I do fund raising for the a group that is involved with trying to curb the Lionfish invasion of U.S. coastal waters.

And.... even though I have the students study.............MORE.......... the students actually do BETTER on the standardized exams that the department givs ( to meet state accountability requirements).

Which makes the full time people look ........um..........what is the word......... bad!

So I was asked to go to the place where the "action" supposedly is not.....but where the SCIENCE action........is!! lol

I have multiple "fish tanks" in the biology lab wherein I teach, we do lecture in the lab itself, in which I have established breeding populations of all of the:

a) green algas, diatoms, etc.
                  b) larger items such as Elodea/Anacharis ( which really is a no-brainer, I mean if a KID can raise Anacharis in a ten gallon I would think that professors of biology should be able to but...no.... :0
                  c) A variety of larger underwater "plants"
                  d) breeding populations of several "tropical fish"....again.........kinda doof if you ask me...

And,when orders do not arrive, the head of the department gets stock from me and sends it out....

I put it in .......... OLD shipping tubes!! lol just hilarious.

At the main campus one used to see............ DEAD......WHITE LIMEY tanks with DEAD stuff at the bottom...

for YEARS.........they just SAT there........

Because the profs.........just as I have seen at so MANY other universites.......just have more important things to do...

Fortunately the new head of the department has resurrected the tanks and they look pretty good now..

But, the Gammarus just riled me up.

A fellow with a DEGREE in "Limnology".......... who had produced a rather simplistic "key" to the Naiads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naiad

OOPS wrong Naiads!

http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/bio...ain/intro3.htm

So this guy sniffed at me one time when we were visiting in the "student atrium" that it would be "quite impossible" for me to culture them because they require cold fresh running water".

I replied that .......they were shipped in..........room temperature water and raised in tanks at the biology supply houses....

ONE of the other teachers laughed and said something like: "He gotcha on THAT one!"....

So, I vowed then and there to figure out my own doof way to culture the wee beasties.

It just took time, and patience because they "arrive in blooms" to get enough in a tank at one time so that there would, eventually, be a rather continuous cycle of blooming..

duuuhhhh , if they buggers can do it in a tank at a biological supply house SURELY they can do "it" elsewhere!

Sooo back to the original reason for the thread!!

woodsmoke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiodinium
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

67GTA

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LOL now this is on an ANCIENT Toshiba Lappy with 14.04 .... lol

I do NOT see what you see in the image referenced below.

I installed from Synaptic:

Homerun
                      Homerun Silicon Dust ... this dragged 145, (yes that is one hundred and fourty five ) depenencies.

Ok...so far so good.

But, nothing in terms of configuring the "menu", that is right clicking and getting to some kind of "configuraton" from the "kicker icon".

nada, zilch.

Ok, so go to the menu itself an in newly installed applications is HDHomeRun Config.

ok ....but ALL THAT IT GIVES ME:

scan channels as in > > with an underline...so I do that...

It "scans" 255 channels.

But zip, nada.

Ok so I RESTSTART.

nothing

Go to "widgets" and type in: Home... and before I finish I get "HomeRun Kicker"... so I click it.

GET A NICE NEW KDE GEAR ON THE .............RIGHT SIDE of the lower panel.

Click it and I do NOT GET what you show in the below image.

I get a kind of "similar" OVERLAY that covers the "whole desktop" that provides something "kind of like"......UNITY.

So maybe by also clicking " Silicon Dust" I got something different?

I'll try to get an image of the desktop and post it in a short while.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

PLEASE READ MY BELOW POST WHICH IS ANTECEDENT TO THIS POST!!!

Ekkkkkkkktually...........I LIKE THIS!!!!

It gives me TWO OPTIONS as to how I want to "get at" stuff.... REALLY!!! THIS IS TRES KEWL!!!

THANK YOU!!!! A BIG HEARTY VIRTUAL PAT ON THE SHOULDER FROM THE OLD WOODSMOKER!!!

lol

sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

However to exit the app one needs to press "esc" on my particular machine.

woodmuchappreciateivesmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Ah, Symbiodinium -- the "Midi-chlorians" of the ocean!
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                              The Martians are coming!
                              Come on, everyone knows the Martians died ages ago. However, the Alien base on the dark side of the moon is another matter!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X