This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No vertical sync with NVIDIA

I encountered this problem in 13.04, but I eventually "fixed" it with a fresh install. Unfortunately, the problem has reappeared after upgrading to 13.10.

Anyway, here's the problem:

I have no vertical sync in KDE. When I move windows across the screen or scroll down a webpage, I get really annoying tearing. Vsync seems to work fine in games, however, like Legends of Grimrock and Half-Life 2, which indicates that it's a KDE problem. I have vsync enabled everywhere I can -- in NVIDIA X Server Settings and the KDE control panel -- yet the problem remains. I have all the other 3D accelerated effects, just no vertical sync. Searching on the internet found many people with similar problems but no solutions.

Perhaps I could completely uninstall the drivers and all related configuration files and start with a clean slate. To that end, does anybody have a complete list of the configuration files generated when the NVIDIA drivers are installed and run? Or perhaps somebody has other ideas.

Thanks.

Have you tried
    Code:
    export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

Comment

Thanks for that. That at least got me on the right path, and I found this thread on another forum with the solution:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....24765#p1324765

The summary is to create a file called Tearing.sh in /etc/profile.d/:

Code:
      # /etc/profile.d/Tearing.sh
      export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
      Another poster suggested that triple buffering doesn't solve all vsync issues and recommended using:

Code:
      export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"
      Then make it executable with:

Code:
      chmod +x /etc/profile.d/Tearing.sh
      Once that's done, reboot.

The GL_YIELD worked for me, and now vertical sync appears to be working as it should.

Thank your for the push in the right direction.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; Oct 23, 2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Ah, true geek wizardry!

One wonders how many other little environmental variable gems lay waiting to be discovered and polished up?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X