X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Brother MFC-J825DW cupswrapper with armhf processor

Hi All,

I've searched far and wide and haven't found a solution to my issue, so maybe someone here can lead me in the right direction

I'm on the Samsung Chromebook with armhf processor. I initially installed Ubuntu 12.04 with KDE as the main desktop, then installed the kubutnu-desktop (ver.: 1.245) package. Hopefully that means I'm in the right spot for support questions. So far I've been able to get armhf drivers/version for everything I want except for the printer drivers.

Brother's pre-compiled install instructions for cupswrapper only comes for i386, there isn't any precompiled version or extra steps listed for armhf processors. Brother does have all of the source files listed for their printers but I haven't had any success trying to compile it (Though honestly maybe I'm just missing something because I'm not used to running make).

I was able to extract the source tar for the Brother MFC-J825DW.

Inside the tar there is a "brcupsconfig" directory with a Makefile, but there's no "configure" file when I go into the directory.

I was able to run "make" and that created an executable "brcupsconfpt1".

After that "sudo make install" returns "make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop."

Sorry if this is a newbie question, since I'm unfamiliar with make, but from the tutorials I've read through it appears that there may be some files missing? I'm lost on what, if any, options I could use in make or if there's a way to make an additional configuration file I could generate to get sudo make install to run the executable.

Feel free to redirect me to another support forum if one is more targeted towards my issue.

Thanks for any help

Hi

And, welcome to the forum!

I am about four years behind on Brother stuff and so cannot directly address your question, although there may be someone else who will so stay tuned!

However, I would ask a question, which I assume you have done but did not so state.

It "used to be" that when one obtained a driver from Brother one went through a, not always well thought out, series of questions to get at the driver and was directed to a "page" for drivers of which there were to parts, the "general" driver for the printer and your setup and the specific driver. One then had to instalol seperately, then add the printer etc.

So the question is: did you see such a "bunch of pages" to get to the driver components?

That info may provide a handle with which others may help you.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I actually just figured it out. Sadly there weren't any instructions through brother when you download the source.
      After you extract the sourcecode to whichever directory you just need to:
      go to where you extracted it
      cd {yourprinter}cupswrapper-src{driverversion}/brcupsconfig
      make
      sudo ./brcupsconfpt1
      cd ../cupswrapper
      sudo ./cupswrapper{yourprinter} -i

You may need to edit the cupswrapper script. in my case cupswrappermfcj825dw, so it copies the correct files and for chromebook you can't service cups for some reason, you need to get it to call /usr/sbin/cupsd directly to start the cups service.

Also, this driver is only for usb. but at least i got it installed. I'll prob just need to have another computer on and share the printer and use samba print sharing or something like that cuz I don't really want to hook my chromebook up to usb every time i want to print.

Comment

Hi
        Thanks for the fix! I think you would probably be a valuable contributer to the forum!

And, yes, even back then, mine was usb.

Don't be a stranger!

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X