This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passwordless login, etc. in 13.04

It seems that in 13.04, all the convenience features for login have been moved or rearranged, and I haven't seen any docs on that. How do I now arrange for passwordless login? (No sermons, please, on why I shouldn't want that.) And how do I arrange for automatic selection of the user when I log out and log in again?

System Settings > Login Screen (LightDM) > General and check Automatically log in
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      System Settings > Login Screen (LightDM) > General and check Automatically log in
      That doesn't seem to be sufficient. There used to be a checkbox for supplying the password automatically. In other words, there used to be three choices for login:

1. Don't automatically select the user.
      2. Automatically select the user but don't supply the password.
      3. Automatically select the user and supply the password.

Now there are only two.
      Last edited by pwabrahams; May 04, 2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working at here - Kubuntu 13.04/KDE 4.10 - new, clean installation. Earlier: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...login-password

There is the KDM package available for the Raring: http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/kdm . It has the 'No password reguired for the...'
        Last edited by Rog131; May 04, 2013, 11:21 AM.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Group "nopasswdlogin"

I think I found the answer, but in a totally unexpected place. There's a system group "nopasswdlogin". By enrolling myself in that group I get passwordless logins.

@rog131, you indicate two choices. The first is the decision to check "automatically log in". The second is to choose which user you log in as. But neither of those choices say whether a password is automatically supplied.

Comment

Old school way - edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

Code:
            [SeatDefaults]
            autologin-user=<YOUR USER>
            autologin-user-timeout=0
            greeter-session=lightdm-kde-greeter
            user-session=kde-plasma

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by pwabrahams View Post
              The first is the decision to check "automatically log in". The second is to choose which user you log in as. But neither of those choices say whether a password is automatically supplied.
              I'm totally confused by this comment.

If you are auto-logged in, to what are you supplying a password? I mean, what difference does it make if the password is actually passed to the display manager or just by-passed? If it asks for your password - then you're not auto-logged in.

Please Read Me

Comment

The KDM option

Installing the kdm
                Log of sudo apt-get install kdm
                Sat May 4 20:25:03 2013

Reading package lists...
                Building dependency tree...
                Reading state information...
                Suggested packages:
                kde-wallpapers
                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                kdm
                0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                Need to get 1171 kB of archives.
                After this operation, 3081 kB of additional disk space will be used.
                Get:1 http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe kdm amd64 4:4.10.2-0ubuntu2 [1171 kB]
                Preconfiguring packages ...

Configuring later (lightdm/kdm):
                Code:
                sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
                System Settings > Login Screen >... Picking the wanted KDM options...

Seems to work..

The Future

The future is with the KDM or LightDM or SDDM or something else :

- logging into Plasma Workspaces 2 : http://aseigo.blogspot.fi/2013/03/lo...kspaces-2.html
                - KDE, LightDM and the Mir Kerfuffle: http://www.sharpley.org.uk/blog/lightdm-mir-wayland
                Last edited by Rog131; May 07, 2013, 02:32 AM.
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Installing kdm is the trick

I've installed kdm and now everything works as I expected. My problem is that at one time, perhaps before the advent of lightdm, kdm was installed by default. So I didn't realize that for a new system I have to install it explicitly.

Comment

Working...
                  X