This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixer cannot be found

Hello, I started the computer today, and then I got a message to remove some sound devices. I clicked "No" because last time I got this message and clicked "Yes" I lost all the sound. Anyways, I lost the sound again now, and on the system tray where the sound icon should be it's another icon now, and if I mousover, I got the message "Mixer cannot be found". What do I do to get the sound to work? I suspect it is a problem with the sound card drivers, but I'm not sure. I can also add that I never had sound problems before I installed Skype.

And one more thing, in Multimedia - Phonon in System settings at Device Preference, I have the defalt Audio Playback Device Preference:
    HDA ATI SB (VT2020 Analog)

What can I do to restore the sound?

Ok, I tried to look up a solution while I was waiting a response here. This one took some time, but it worked:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa; sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade; sudo apt-get install pavucontrol linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; killall pulseaudio; rm -r ~/.pulse*; sudo usermod -aG `cat /etc/group | grep -e '^pulse:' -e '^audio:' -e '^pulse-access:' -e '^pulse-rt:' -e '^video:' | awk -F: '{print $1}' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's:,$::g'` `whoami`

Thanks.

Comment

I am curious where you found that suggestion and if you realize everything it actually did.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        I am curious where you found that suggestion and if you realize everything it actually did.
        I found it here:
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1537375
        I don't know everything it did, but it appeared to restore all sound related settings back to its original state.

The only problem I had after the reboot, was that the desktop had changed. However, this could easily be solved by logging out and pick the correct desktop at the login screen.

Everything seem to work fine now.

Comment

I would suggest next time that you investigate these things further before you try them. At least check in with folks here.

What you typed was a long string of several commands run together. This portion:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install pavucontrol linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2
          Installed the entire Ubuntu desktop, with its massive collection of Gtk+ programs and the Unity interface, on your computer. This explains why your desktop changed. It's definitely not the way to go about fixing sound problems.

Furthermore, the following portion:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2
          Runs the above install a complete second time, which is truly curious; I can't actually envision any reason why running apt-get install some-packages followed directly by apt-get --reinstall install the-exact-same-packages would ever be useful.

One of the challenges presented by learning Linux via Google is that so much of the information available is outdated or just plain wrong. Since you're new here, I can't judge what your existing skills might be. I would hazard a guess that Linux is fairly new for you. Learning something new is always a good thing, of course. I'd recommend that you try to hang out here. It's a great place to learn from a number of very experienced and friendly folk. And if you ever see a recommendation to run some thorny set of commands like that again, ask us first, mmmmkay?

Comment

Adding a note to the page on Ubuntu forums...see post #5.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12483384

Warning added to Ubuntu wiki page. (The history indicates a previous warning was deleted; let's see what happens this time.)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

Comment

You were right about my lack of experience. I worked with Linux for a short while a decade ago. Now I've used Ubuntu/Kubuntu for some time, but I'm still pretty much new to the terminal commands. Thanks for your help and advices so far.

Comment

Working...
              X