Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I got this fixed --> KDE cannot logout/shutdown/reboot etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I got this fixed --> KDE cannot logout/shutdown/reboot etc.

Hi all,
    I have been having this problem since last 24hrs and googling did not give me an answer or a proper solution. I see there are a lot of thread on this issue but seldom any working solution. Presently I am running 12.10 (Ubuntu + Kubuntu).

The symtoms are that you cannot (all of a sudden) logout or shutdown or restart from the "Leave" tab on the menu or "Leave" option of the desktop context menu. When you click on the options nothing happens.

So I experimented by mv-ing .kde/share/config to .kde/share/config.old and let the login process to create a new set of config. All was working normally. But I don't want to re configure the desktop again! So I started taking a guess and moving config files from .kde/share/config.old to .kde/share/config.

After moving each file, I tried logging into the desktop and tested the logout function. This is when I discovered that the culprit was ksmserverrc !! So I deleted ksmserverrc from the folder and mv config to config.new and mv config.old to config.

Hope this will help someone out there with the same problem.

Thank you for your contribution. Many kde problems are solved by getting rid of those pesky config files. Honestly every kde 4.x upgrade wrecks the config files and sometimes it wrecks nepomuk and akonadi too.

Please mark this as solved. Use the Thread Tools drop down menu.

Comment

Working...
    X