This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Partition Manager

KDEPM still doesn't support read/write of GPT partitioned disks?

That's crazy talk.

It's been two years since KDE Partition Manager had an update released and it doesn't support a basic requirement of modern disks. At what point does someone say "this is an abandoned project that no longer meets our needs as it stands" and find some alternative?

I notice GParted supports GPT.
    --
    Intocabile

I can't get GParted to work for any of my Kubuntu builds, I click but it never shows up. So far the only one I have used with Kubuntu is KDE Partition Manager, or I will run GParted from PuppyLinux Live CD.

You can also get a Gparted Live CD/USB.
    Rob

Comment

Yeah, but the problem with that is that you cannot therefore buy a new hard disk, stick it in a machine and install a UEFI Kubuntu on it.

Isn't that right? The install requires that the disk be partitioned GPT in order for UEFI installation to take place?

Or is that just Windows 7? I forget.
      --
      Intocabile

Comment

Well if GPT is on GParted, doesn't that mean that the GParted Live CD should work?
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
          Yeah, but the problem with that is that you cannot therefore buy a new hard disk, stick it in a machine and install a UEFI Kubuntu on it.

Isn't that right? The install requires that the disk be partitioned GPT in order for UEFI installation to take place?

Or is that just Windows 7? I forget.
          My disk is gpt but I turned uefi off before I installed kubuntu. My samsung laptop has that option.

Comment

Why would you want to turn UEFI off though?

Whatever your workarounds and 3rd party options, the disk partitioning tool included in the Kubuntu release is out of date and not up to the job.
            --
            Intocabile

Comment

Why would you want to turn UEFI off though?

Whatever your workarounds and 3rd party options, the disk partitioning tool included in the Kubuntu release is out of date and not up to the job.
              Then file a bug report on it, I'd say, as KDE Partition Manager does support GPT, so it was either left out or that bit is broken. The installer on the other hand is just a different graphical face on Ubuntu's installer, so if that does not provide support, we won't have it until after it does.

Comment

[ Removed factually incorrect information. See post Spadge's post #9 and my post #10 for correction. ]
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 30, 2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Then file a bug report on it, I'd say, as KDE Partition Manager does support GPT, so it was either left out or that bit is broken. The installer on the other hand is just a different graphical face on Ubuntu's installer, so if that does not provide support, we won't have it until after it does.
                  I could file a feature-request, but as there hasn't been an update to the software in two years there isn't much point. I wouldn't call it a bug as it behaves precisely as advertised. GPT support is set to appear in the fabled and still unseen v1.1: http://blog.volkerlanz.de/2010/06/02...e-feature-list

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  So I experimented with this a bit using a 32-GiB USB drive. KDE Partition Manager can manipulate partitions on a GPT disk. But it cannot create the GPT -- you have to use some other tool for that (I used gdisk). KDE Partition Manager's "New Partition Table" function appears to create only MBR partition tables.
                  I'm not sure if it can manipulate them. I've not tried changing any. I think it sees them as read-only?

I used gdisk too, but then I had an operating system to do this in prior to installing both Windows 7 and Kubuntu this time around.

Getting both installed and working in a dual boot configuration was a bit of a hard slog.
                  --
                  Intocabile

Comment

I'm not sure if it can manipulate them. I've not tried changing any. I think it sees them as read-only?
                    You're right!

It looks like I messed up during my experimentation and was manipulating an MBR disk when I thought it was GPT. I tried again with two separate drives and noticed that, in fact, KDE Partition Manager views GPT disks as read-only. I lost track of what I was doing. I'm going to remove what I wrote in that earlier post.

Can't resize an existing partition:

Can't create a new partition in unallocated space:

Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 30, 2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

There are updates, just no official package release. Chakra must be using an SVN snapshot, as their installer uses KDE Partition Manager in it's installer - and it shows this support. It is too late to get this in 12.10, but perhaps for Quantal +1 it could be tested during the dev phase. As the need for this support grows, it will be good to get this into Kubuntu. So any record of requests or bug reports are very helpful. I bet Steve could bring it up at UDS , too

Comment

Bug filed.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1059297
                        https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=307643

Comment

Awesome
                          --
                          Intocabile

Comment

Vote them up!

Comment

So the 1.0.60 alpha from SVN is the answer?

How does that work, as a matter of interest? Does the SVN version get built into a package on some PPA somewhere, then eventually passed out as the current release version?

Thanks
                              --
                              Intocabile

Comment

Working...
                              X