X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cisco packet tracer won't start in Kubuntu 12.04

First of all, I am new here so hello everyone

I have a strange problem with this little network simulator from cisco called packet tracer. There are two versions floating around in the net, a i386 deb package and a generic (ubuntu) tar.gz version which contains an install script. I have to point out now that I own a amd64 desktop system with kubuntu 12.04 64-bit installed. Both versions install fine, but when I try to run the program.. nothing happens.
    Code:
    ~$ cd /opt/pt/
    johndoe@johndoe-desktop:/opt/pt$ ls -l
    total 80
    drwxr-xr-x 25 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 art
    drwxr-xr-x  6 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 backgrounds
    drwxr-xr-x  5 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 bin
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root 14227 Jul  1 21:15 eula.txt
    drwxr-xr-x  7 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 extensions
    drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 help
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  2748 Jul  1 21:15 install
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 LANGUAGES
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 lib
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   163 Jul  1 21:15 linguist
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   179 Jul  1 21:15 packettracer
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 saves
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  1234 Jul  1 21:15 set_ptenv.sh
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 sounds
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Jul  1 21:15 templates
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   159 Jul  1 21:15 tpl.linguist
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   175 Jul  1 21:15 tpl.packettracer
    johndoe@johndoe-desktop:/opt/pt$ ./packettracer 
    Starting Packet Tracer 5.3
    johndoe@johndoe-desktop:/opt/pt$
    Looking closer, I realized that ./packettracer is just a short shell script which sets a library path for the program and then calls the real binary file, located in the ./bin folder. So I tried running the binary myself:
    Code:
    johndoe@johndoe-desktop:/opt/pt$ cd bin
    johndoe@johndoe-desktop:/opt/pt/bin$ ls -l
    total 59452
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     4096 Jul  1 21:15 accessible
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      257 Jul  1 21:15 Cisco-PacketTracer.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      242 Jul  1 21:15 Cisco-pka.xml
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      241 Jul  1 21:15 Cisco-pkt.xml
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      243 Jul  1 21:15 Cisco-pkz.xml
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     4096 Jul  1 21:15 imageformats
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1287820 Jul  1 21:15 linguist
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     4096 Jul  1 21:15 Linux
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 59380421 Jul  1 21:15 PacketTracer5
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1552 Jul  1 21:15 PT.conf
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    98968 Jul  1 21:15 unzip
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    60784 Jul  1 21:15 zip
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     3412 Jul  1 21:15 ZIP_LICENSE
    johndoe@johndoe-desktop:/opt/pt/bin$ ./PacketTracer5 
    bash: ./PacketTracer5: No such file or directory
    johndoe@johndoe-desktop:/opt/pt/bin$
    This "no such file or directory" message puzzles me, since the file is obviously there and has execute permissions for everyone. What gives?
    Here follow the contents of "packettracer" script, for reference:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

echo Starting Packet Tracer 5.3

PTDIR=/opt/pt
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PTDIR/lib
    pushd $PTDIR/bin > /dev/null
    ./PacketTracer5 "$@" > /dev/null 2>&1
    popd > /dev/null
    A last thing to note: I have also a laptop with kubuntu 12.04 installed, and the program opens just fine there. The only difference I can think of between the two systems is that desktop is a clean install, whereas the laptop has been upgraded from Kubuntu 11.10.

Apologies for such a long first post!

The "no such file or directory" error is common if you're trying to run a Java application that was compiled against the 32-bit JRE and you don't have it installed. Is PacketTracer a Java application?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      The "no such file or directory" error is common if you're trying to run a Java application that was compiled against the 32-bit JRE and you don't have it installed. Is PacketTracer a Java application?
      No, not as far as I can tell. How can I know for sure?

Comment

I searched a bit and found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1086653.

PacketTracer isn't Java, but it is packaged in a rather weird way.

Comment

I finally solved the problem by installling 32-bit shared libraries from packages ia32-libs and libc6-i386. The program now loads fine.

Comment

So then "no such file or directory" could be a clue that 32-bit libraries are required for more than just Java programs. Good catch.

Comment

What put me in the right path was using the "strings" command to look for any raw strings inside the binary file... the first that came up was ld-linux.so.2, the 32-bit dynamic loader, which was missing from my system... hence the "no such file or directory" message I assume. The rest was a matter of googling

Comment

Packet Tracer

Hello all,

This is my first post here. Does anyone have a list of what is needed to run Packet Tracer in Kubuntu? I can launch it but it never loads. I googled a lot installed Lib 32 but it does not help. Packet Tracer loads but then closes.

Thanks for any tips,

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by joesmith11627 View Post
                  Hello all,

This is my first post here. Does anyone have a list of what is needed to run Packet Tracer in Kubuntu? I can launch it but it never loads. I googled a lot installed Lib 32 but it does not help. Packet Tracer loads but then closes.

Thanks for any tips,

Joe
                  If you are running 12.04, you will need to install the packages 243kof mentioned: ia32-libs, and libc6-i386. If you are running a newer version of Kubuntu, say 14.04, it will be difficult to tell.

the ia-32-libs package as a meta-package , its only purpose is to depend on other packages. In our case here, it pulls in a huge number of 32-bit compatibility packages, so that thongs such as Wine and Skype are more easily installed. This package does not exist in 14.04 as it is no longer required, as the packaging system now handles this much better.

Problem is, if it is not packaged, or not packaged for the newer Ubuntu versions, it won't work.
                  What will need to be done is to discover which things are missing
                  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2218961 shows the basics. You have to find the libs that Packet Tracer says is missing, then find out which 32 bit package provides that lib.

Comment

Thank you claydoh for the explanation. I do have Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit. I will sleuth around some more. What sorta dog is that... pretty cool looking.

Comment

Working...
                    X