Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, first Linux crash ever (Clementine related?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, first Linux crash ever (Clementine related?)

Yep, was just listening to Clementine, viewing a YouTube vid with Chrome, when the music stuttered, stopped, screen went black, and shot me back to my login screen. Logged back in, Chrome acknowledged not closing down properly. Re-opened Clementine and of course it didn't remember where in the two-hour podcast I had gotten up to.

A few minutes later, I get a pop-up with "The application KNetAttach has closed unexpectedly". I opted to relaunch. Possibly separate issue? Is KNetAttach related to my use of DropBox?

I have had a couple of the little crash icons show up on the system tray but they go away when I click on them. Clementine has been a bit flaky, sometimes not opening on the first try.

I've never had to deal with crash issues before, what's my best tack for diagnosing this?

/var/crash lists

file:///var/crash/_usr_bin_clementine.1000.crash :four days ago
    file:///var/crash/_usr_bin_clementine.1000.upload
    file:///var/crash/_usr_bin_nepomukservicestub.1000.crash :tonight's crash
    file:///var/crash/_usr_bin_nepomukservicestub.1000.upload
    file:///var/crash/grub-pc.0.crash :The day of the 11.10>12.04 upgrade, I had grub issues.

Similar problem affects me. But i dont have clementine. And as you said problem occurs while watching youtube.
    And similar error message related to knetattach crashing appears after that.

May be it's flash plugin related or screensaver activating which may freeze the system. I dont know which one is causing.

Comment

No problems with clementine here, only with Emesene (keep getting crashmessages, though it runs fully functional). Grub issues still need to be resolved, but other than that 12.04 runs smooth.
      You're making progress, if each mistake is a new one

Comment

I've been watching quite a few YouTube videos, some up to an hour in length, and haven't experienced a shutdown.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by enginemusic View Post
          screen went black, and shot me back to my login screen.
          That's a restart of the X server. Not sure what all kinds crashes would do that -- certainly a crash of your video driver would do it.

Comment

I have run into a number of crashes of kwin when closing chromium (but not other browsers). It seems to happen more often under the plasma netbook interface than the plasma desktop interface. I don't know if it is related to your problem or not, but it has happened frequently enough that I've gone back to firefox and rekonq.

Comment

What dibl said. It sounds like you could have an unstable video driver. What's your video chip?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Video card is an Nvidia 8300GS. Video was rock solid since 8.04. The recommended (version current) proprietary driver is installed. If problems persist I may try the other one.

As Dibl points out, this is a crash of the X server - are there any logs I can view to see what may h ave caused this?

This isn't supposed to happen, I'm not running Windows!

Comment

Happened again today, this time so severely no combination of keys would save me; had to hold in the power button til powerdown. Was not playing video this time, just Chrome and Clementine, system up for about ten minutes. Not real keen on using such an unstable system - if I can't sort this pronto I'm going to retrograde to 11.10. Any diagnostic ideas?

Comment

Ubuntu dropped support for a lot of older hardware recently. Perhaps this is the cause of your problems?

Don't know if these links will help you or someone else here, but here they are anyhow;

http://www.mitsdrivers.com/pages_830...er-ubuntu.html

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...y=Nvidia+8*+GS

Good luck.
                    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

I'm kinda new to linux - haven't really messed with it much in years but I'm playing around with Kubuntu now; never heard of Clemetine til I read this, but it looks pretty cool. Anyway, apparently the last update for Clemetine was Tuesday 27 December 2011 - probably has a lot to do with it. There also was around 100 megs of updates in Kubuntu that I just finished doing this morning...
                      Last edited by Guest; May 04, 2012, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
                        Ubuntu dropped support for a lot of older hardware recently. Perhaps this is the cause of your problems?
                        Didn't think an 8300 was that old but just checked wikipedia* - introduced 2007. Wow! Maybe I'll pinch the 9600 from my wife's old box as she is now exclusively netbook (using SplashtopOS - anyone else using this?). Hopefully that might solve my issues - for a year anyway. I should note that BOTH these cards were purchased in their respective day to try to upgrade my wife's computer to be able to play Windows games I bought her!

Look, I don't want to sound lazy but is it likely that swapping to the 9600 might go some way to solving my issues? I know, change em and see, but it's easier to type questions on a forum than to swap out video cards with a toddler running around.

I saw dibl refer to the alt+Sysreq, r,s,e,i,u,b sequence in another post. I tried this during one of my lockups and it did a cold reboot - it's supposed to just restart the window manager, right?

@ Scottro, Clementine is great. It's a fork of an earlier version of Amarok, which I liked until they started cramming too many features in it. Been using Audacious on Lubuntu on my netbook, and may switch to it for my desktop. Winamp is one of the apps I miss most from Windows!

* F**ckin Wikipedia is awesome. Send them money, I did.

Comment

Hi....

Although I could easily be wrong here, I don't suspect your hardware is the problem. I would first try backing up all your data and reinstalling 12.04 from scratch (since you upgraded from 11.10.)

I have never been a fan of "sandwiching" or upgrading OS's.

Regards...
                          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

The 9600 card uses the much newer (current) drivers and the 8300 card uses the legacy (100 series) drivers. I'd switch if I were you. It'll be faster too. If it were me, I'd:

1. Uninstall the nvidia driver and revert to nouveau (should happen automatically after removing nvidia driver unless you have an xorg.conf file).

2. Shut 'er down and swap cards, power up

3. Install newest 295 series driver (I've heard 295.40 has a bug, but I'm having no ill effects from it)

4. Reboot and re-configure your xorg.conf (if desired).

Please Read Me

Comment

Aw nuts. Opened my wife's box and her 9600 is an AGP card while my MB is PCIe. So a no-go there.

Trying not to veer this thread offtopic, but a local shop has an Nvidia GT210-based card at a reasonable price. Wikipedia shows this is 2009 technology, so would I be doing the frying pan>fire thing by buying this? How about a 510 card?

I may do as Ardvark71 suggests and do a clean install, but I ain't looking forward to it. Better than these random crashes though!

Comment

Working...
                              X