X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to find a WYSIWYG Web editor

Hello everybody,

this is my first post here and I hope that I can get some help. I am running full time on Kubuntu since about a year. I am a photographer and found awesome tools like digiKam photogimp and Ufraw.

I used to be on mac and I was maintaining and creating my own websites with iWeb and Rapidweaver. That is what is missing in Kubuntu, I am desperatley looking for a simple to use template based web editor. I tried Kompozer, Bluegriffon, Seamonkey and many other's but they are too complex as I have absolutely no idea of how to code exept maybe a few HTML tags.

Is there out there such a program ?

Any help is more then welcome I am really desperate.

Thank you. ;-)
    Last edited by BNBPhoto; Mar 08, 2012, 03:20 AM. Reason: Solved

Have you tried BlueFish?

Please Read Me

Comment

I did and it is way to complicated. I need a web editor which allows me to create a webpage without writing a single line of code.

Comment

Originally posted by BNBPhoto View Post
        I did and it is way to complicated. I need a web editor which allows me to create a webpage without writing a single line of code.
        I'm not sure you're going to be able to avoid knowing anything about it if you want some level of creativity, indeed integrity. I've seen pages like that and it can be painfully obvious. However, there are some programs listed here:
        http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmas....shtml#wysiwyg

Remember too, that you can run wine and use some Windows resources there. I don't run it myself but I've seen Photoshop run in wine and it works well.

I just noticed this free gallery page creator called MiniGal which you might like. It is very simple, but that is part of it's appeal. http://www.minigal.dk/

Comment

Hi...

Welcome to the forums :-)

From what I was able to research (although not extensively,) it does appear your options are limited in Linux. Apart from possibly getting a program like Adobe's Dreamweaver to work under Wine, using a CMS (see post #10) might be your best alternative. :-)

Hope this helps...

Regards...
          Last edited by ardvark71; Mar 06, 2012, 08:30 PM.
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Thanks everybody for the tips. I found a solution which is Bluegriffon. It has a plug-in for creating template based webpages.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the tips. I found a solution which is Bluegriffon. It has a plug-in for creating template based webpages.
              Hi...

Cool, I'm glad we could help! Please mark this thread as solved. :-)

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hi,

I had not heard of Bluegriffon.

Just for miscellaneous info it is not in any repo that I, particularly, could find. And I have every repo in the world except for the one that installs teatimer.

Here is a linky to the page If you click the red banner link it will take you to the downloads page, which provides installers for Win, Ubu and Fedora.

One needs to set permissions on the installer to execute as a program.

An installer appears which looks "vaguely" like an old Windows 3.1 installer. After a couple of clicks one gets the option of running and creating a desktop launcher. I accepted both.

It did not run on SuperOs through the original offer or clicking the shortcut on the desktop or in Applications/Bluegriffon/Bluegriffon or uninstall.

I had hopes that this was maybe the equivalent of what used to be the old MS frontpage which, although it produces kludzy stuff now really was wysiswyg.

ONE NOTE: they really do have a pretty good way to generate revenu. The app is free and open source, but....the manual costs five pounds. Pretty neat and I wish them luck.

http://bluegriffon.org/
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi,

indeed, the way they generate revenue through selling the plug-ins also. But it is a prety easy piece of software to use.

Cheers

Comment

Quanta is very similar to dreamweaver, i have made several pages with it, althougth its been a little while so i can't remember if it supports templates (but i think it did)
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Quanta Plus is not supported anymore. It's really a pity, because it's my main application for building sites. I'm running 11.04, but it's not in the repos anymore, I've read.
                      BlueGriffon wasn't developed during a few year, that's probably why it's not in a repo. I think it won't take too long before it is.
                      There were a lot of problems with nvu. It was sold to a Linux company that doesn't exist anymore. If I remember well it was Lindows. After Lindows quit, nvu wasn't developed anymore. But there was a patent on the name. That's why Kompozer took over. Same program, other name.
                      The developer of Kompozer got a paid job and quit developing Kompozer. Sigh.
                      And now the original makers of nvu are developing BlueGriffon. Again. Could make a Hollywood movie of it.

Edit: BlueGriffon makes money with selling add-ons too. I think it's a nice model. You have a pretty good (as far as I know) wysiwyg-editor, and for the extras you pay.
                      Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Mar 09, 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I used to use Quanta +, but switched to Nvu. Nvu was abandon but KompoZer forked the source and continued on. KompoZer is in the repository.
                        KompoZer is based on Gecko, the layout engine inside Mozilla; it's a super-fast, very reliable, standards conformant engine maintained on a daily basis by a wide community of developers. Its remarkable support of XML, CSS and JavaScript offers the best authoring platform on the market. Its architecture based on XUL makes it the most extensible editing tool ever.
                        KompoZer is a stand-alone tool; hence its small size and fast speed.
                        Those who are familiar with the DreamWeaver interface will feel right at home with KompoZer:

• WYSIWYG editing of pages, making web creation as easy as typing a letter with your word processor.
                        • Integrated file management via FTP. Simply login to your web site and navigate through your files, editing web pages on the fly, directly from your site.
                        • Reliable HTML code creation that will work with all of today's most popular browsers.
                        • Jump between WYSIWYG Editing Mode and HTML using tabs.
                        • Tabbed editing to make working on multiple pages a snap.
                        • Powerful support for forms, tables, and templates.
                        • The easiest-to-use, most powerful Web Authoring System available for Desktop Linux, Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh users.
                        and the list goes on to several times that length. It's well documented and it is free.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I think Kompozer was a pretty good program, just like nvu was. But with html5 and css3 things are changing so fast, a program is really fast getting too old. BlueGriffon is supporting html5 and css3. Don't know the details, because not everything can be used yet.
                          Something like round corners is really easy to make with css3, but you can't do that with Kompozer.
                          I never use a wysiwyg-editor, but for people that just want to make a site an up-to-date editor is really important. So I'm glad with BlueGriffon.

Comment

Trinity rides Again

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Hill_(film))

Earlier - KDE 3.5 Applications with the Kubutu 9.10 : http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...he-Kubutu-9-10

Now - KDE 3.5 Applications with the Kubuntu 11.10: http://askubuntu.com/questions/10538...n-ubuntu-11-10

1) Making a file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/trinity.list

2) Adding the GPG signing key

3) Looking Quanta

It is quanta-trinity

4) Installing the quanta-trinity

Log of sudo apt-get install quanta-trinity
                            Fri Mar 9 18:52:29 2012

The following packages will be REMOVED:
                            kdesdk kompare
                            The following NEW packages will be installed:
                            docbook-defguide kdelibs-data-trinity kdelibs4c2a-trinity
                            kfilereplace-trinity klinkstatus-trinity kommander-trinity kompare-trinity
                            kxsldbg-trinity launchpad-integration libarts1c2a-trinity libqt3-mt
                            libtqtinterface quanta-data-trinity quanta-trinity tidy xbase-clients
                            0 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                            Need to get 34.5 MB of archives.
                            After this operation, 115 MB of additional disk space will be used.

5) The exec is /opt/trinity/bin/quanta

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                            - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong and it's still possible to install Quanta - with some effort - on Kubuntu. But it's not maintained so it's having the same problem as Kompozer etc. On Natty I can still use it, but more and more it gives me syntax errors etc. because it simply doesn't recognize the newest code. So, whether I like it or not, when I upgrade my Kubuntu I have to start using another program.
                              The only other one in the repos I know is Bluefish, but that's not nearly as good as Quanta. So I'll probably start using some program outside of the repos, like Aptana.

Comment

Working...
                              X