X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No network management program installed after upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04

Hello,

Today I followed the upgrade process from Kubuntu Karmic 9.10 to Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS by clicking on the upgrade icon showing up on my tray.

After the process finished (everything looked ok, no particular issues along the way) I ended up with a Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 installation which did not have any network management package installed: no knetworkmanager, no wicd.

Since I cannot connect to the internet, I tried downloading one of those packages using another computer's connection. I was not able to find a download for knetworkmanager, so I downloaded wicd 0.2.3 and copied the tar.gz package to the first computer. When I followed the installation instructions I got the following error message from cmake:
    "ERROR: the installed kdelibs version 4.4.5 is too old, at least version 4.5.0 is required"

I could go on and install kdelibs 4.5.0 but I fear that I will receive similar messages to the above of other not-up-to-date packages required by wicd...

Main Question:
    What would be the best way to install a network management package into my upgraded Lucid 10.04 system, given the fact that I do not have a connection to the internet and therefore cannot run apt-get install?

Aside Question: Is there any network management program that is supposed to be installed in Lucid 10.04 other than knetworkmanager or wicd?

Please note that the bug about knetworkmanager not working after upgrade a wrong configuration of the file KnetworkManager.state is not my problem.

Thank you in advance for you help
    Daniel

-------------
    Toshiba Tecra A10-14N
    64-bit system
    Kubuntu 10.04 LTS (just upgraded from Kubuntu 9.10)
    Toshiba Tecra A10<br />Intel Core 2<br />Kubuntu 9.10 64-bit, KDE 4.3.2

Re: No network management program installed after upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04

Hello,

This is to let everybody know that I have solved this problem by installing Kubuntu 11.10 from scratch.

In addition I would like to mention that it may have been the case that when I first submitted this issue, a network manager program was actually installed in Kubuntu 10.04 and I may have not seen it. But I would like to take the opportunity to point out that networking does not seem so intuitive starting version 10.04. I am basing my opinion on the following:

(1) No network manager applet was running after installation (I think this is actually a bug, according to my search of reported issues in the Kubuntu community sites)

(2) Even if the network manager applet is running, the icon shown in the taskbar is not very visible and/or identifiable as such (it shows up as a very small point and it from my point of view it is very unlikely that one will guess that this point refers to networking...)

(3) The naming of the package that does network manager (nm-applet) is not easily found (e.g. I was looking for daemon processes running with names network, manager, etc. but would not occur to me to look for just "nm")

On the positive side I would like to mention that as I started typing nm-app... in the ALT+F2 execution dialog, Kubuntu auto-completed the program name to the nm-applet program.

Finally, I would like to mention that I also found a way of doing package installation without an internet connection by using the program called Keryx which is available here:
    keryxproject.org

There is a good video guide on how to use this program (in spanish though) here:
    http://www.taringa.net/posts/linux/4...-Internet.html

And there are also sites in English explaining how to install packages without an internet connection. For example this one:
    http://basicubuntu.blogspot.com/2009...-internet.html

Thanks anyway to anyone who invested some time in understanding this problem and trying to find a solution.

All the best
    Daniel
    Toshiba Tecra A10<br />Intel Core 2<br />Kubuntu 9.10 64-bit, KDE 4.3.2

Comment

Working...
    X