This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iesnare, mpsnare -- what to do?

I don't know how this came about. I just noticed that a Konsole window had the title "mpsnare.iesnare.com" at the top. Don't know where that came from. It is "explained" from a Windows point of view at http://mafiawars.wikia.com/wiki/Iesnare and seems to have something to do with Flash cookies, which I did not know existed.

Also, I opened a new tab on the Konsole window and I turned up in the directory

~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/ZGU3CVH5/mpsnare.iesnare.com

What is this automatic cd? Are we getting viruses on LInux now? If I jump up one level to ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects/ZGU3CVH5, I find 123 objects! What the hell are these things? If these are Flash cookies, then Flash is used a lot more than I thought. I recognize some from their names -- cnettv.cnet.com. mail.google.com, pan1.fotovista.com, www.nvidia.fr and so on.

What is this ^&*(>?

I do _not_ do Internet gaming, ever, so I don't see what this should be doing on my computer. Anybody else see this? Suggestions as to what to do? Uninstall Flash Player?

'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: iesnare, mpsnare -- what to do?

I just noticed something odd. If you open a new tab in a Konsole window, it takes the name of the lowest level of the directory you were in when opening the tab. I did

cd ~/travel_pix

and opened a new tab. The title at the top of that tab is "travel_pix". Why? Some sort of reminder of where you came from?

Yet, I was not in a directory mpsnare.iesnare.com before opening a tab.

It's getting curiouser and curiouser.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
      Why? Some sort of reminder of where you came from?
      With Konsole launched, click on Settings > Configure Profiles > Edit Profile... > Tabs and look at Tab title format: which is, by default, set to:

%d : %n

You can click on the Insert button to see the other options.

As to Flash cookies, yes, they are pervasive. That's why I use IgnorantGuru's kscrubber script to periodically clean my system.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the link to kscrubber. I can't believe how much crap it deleted.

Comment

If you use Firefox, you can install the "Better Privacy" plugin, which will take care of those pesky Flash cookies
          Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Working...
          X