This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] remote desktop over direct ethernet connection

This seems like it should be easy to setup but I can't seem to make it work.
    I have two computers, both running kubuntu. What I want to do is use one of the computers to remotely control the other. They are directly connected via an ethernet cable.
    What I have tried is running krfb (kde remote desktop server) on one and krdc (the corresponding desktop client) on the other. However I can't seem to see the server from krdc (I'm assuming it has been properly created but am not sure of this)
    How can I make this work?

Re: remote desktop over direct ethernet connection

You say they're 'directly connected via an ethernet cable'. Do you mean exactly that? If so, how have you configured the networking between the two devices. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that configuration wouldn't work without you first configuring the networking to work between the two machines. As it stands, you'll probably find that neither machine is getting issued with an IP address because Kubuntu's default installation will try to use DHCP - in other words both machines will be expecting to be able to find a DHCP server from which to request an IP address. If you don't have a router (the device that's normally used to serve IP addresses on a home network) I think at the very minimum you'll need to configure one of your two machines to be a DHCP server, or set-up fixed IP addressing on both machines...

Oh... and you'll need to use an ethernet cross-over cable unless your ethernet ports are able to do the cross-over function automatically.

Comment

Most newer PC's will auto sense the crossover situation...if not, you will have to use a crossover cable.

You need to set both NIC's to use static IP's in the same subnet. If you don't know subnetting, I would use these settings:

PC1:
      IP: 10.5.1.1
      Mask: 255.255.255.0

PC2:
      IP: 10.5.1.2
      Mask: 255.255.255.0

In such a simple setup, this should be all that is required...no default gateway, etc should be needed. No DNS server is needed, etc.

Once both PC's are set up, open Konsolel on PC1 and type:

Code:
      ping 10.5.1.2
      if you can successfully ping the other computer (PC2), then your network setup is good. If not, post back.

Please note that this setup does not allow for internet access, etc...you will only have access to the other computer.

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I read on kubuntuguide that Krfb in KDE4 is broken since december 2009, the KDE3 version presumably still does work but that's only usefull if you have the KDE3.5 remix installed. There are other options than Krfb, here's the link to kubuntuguide:

http://kubuntuguide.org/Lucid#Krfb_VNC_server

Comment

Fixed it.
          The trick was that after connecting the two via ethernet cable I had to go
          Knetworkmanager>manage connections>wired>add>
          then give it a name a go >IP address>Configure> and choose link local.
          After doing this on both computers I then just had to run krfb (the remote desktop server) on one and then krdc (the client) on the other. Done.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] remote desktop over direct ethernet connection

One thing. Using the keyboard the reponse is very messy. Typing on the keyboard of the controlling computer I end up always with each letter 3 or 4 times on the controlled computer (if I keep a keyboard connected to the controlled computer it types fine, but that is not exactly ideal).
            Has anyone done this before? Was the keyboard laggy? Could you find a way around this?

Comment

Working...
            X