Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED]Cannot enter home directory. Using /.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Cannot enter home directory. Using /.

New issue I created. I changed the home directory from /home/britne to /extra/System Folder/. My system will not boot to the desktop now. How do I fix this problem lol

usermod -d /home/username username

Re: Cannot enter home directory. Using /.

Edit your /etc/fstab file (as root) and change the indicated mount-point for your /home partition to reflect the change.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How do I do that? I don't see a refrence to a home folder in there.

I made the change in the User and Group Manager, hoping to divert disk usage to a mounted drive.

A secondary error pops up in a little window next...

Could not start kstartupconfig4. Check your installation.

Comment

Can I add another user through the Command Line to simply the mess I've created?

It's either an issue of the mount point changing on the secondary drive from sdb to sda, or something else. If it's a change problem, using the mounted drive will not work for what I'm trying to do. Either way, I need another user to access the desktop while I continue to play.

Comment

To create a new user, execute:
          Code:
          sudo useradd newuser -m -d /home/newuser -p password -g admin -s /bin/bash

Comment

Re: [SOLVED]Cannot enter home directory. Using /.

Umm it seems it was not really solved were you able to make it work andreasj64?
            I have the same problem I accidentally moved my home folder with superuser and would like to know how to fix it I restored all the files to the home directory but it seems i can only have access with startx
            Any ideas or suggestions??

Comment

@r8_w4y, those posts are 2 years old -- very unlikely anyone is monitoring them.

Probably the permissions have been changed in some of the files in your /home/user directory, as a result of your mishap. And, if you moved and saved your data files with "sudo", or while working as root at the "#" prompt, then your data files are now owned by root as well. :P

So, let's break the problem down and deal with it one piece at a time. To restore the function of your user folder, the simplest approach (which will nuke any KDE customizations) would be (working as user at your home directory ~$ prompt)

Code:
              sudo service kdm stop
              Code:
              mv .kde .kde_bak
              Code:
              rm .ICEauthority
              Code:
              rm .Xauthority
              Code:
              sudo service kdm start
              Now you should be able to log in.

If that works, the other problem is your data files with root-only permissions. I use Dolphin in Super User mode with Alt-F2 "kdesudo dolphin" with no quote marks. Just navigate to the data files or data folders that were affected, right-click them, choose the "Properties > Permissions" tab, and put your user name in the "user" and "group" windows, and check the "Apply to subfolders and files" box, and click "Apply". Don't forget to exit Dolphin as soon as you have taken care of these tasks -- you don't want to inadvertently do any further damage while working as root.

Comment

HEY Thank You very much!! you helped a lot the only problem is I cannot login with KDM it seems that when I try doing that it crashes i have to enter in console mode and type startx...

Comment

Take a look at #10 on the link in my signature. You don't have a full filesystem do you (#16)?

Comment

ok dibl thanks again that link is very helpful...why didn't I check it before...LOL
                    I sure hope this helps people (like me) that come across this problem google it up and find out it has an unknown solution, since andreasj64 said
                    It's either an issue of the mount point changing on the secondary drive from sdb to sda, or something else. If it's a change problem, using the mounted drive will not work for what I'm trying to do. Either way, I need another user to access the desktop while I continue to play.
                    I will try to be more careful with my superuser powers :P

Comment

Working...
                    X