X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu fails to load after grub menu

I am using Kubuntu 8.10 with kde4

I've Install Kubuntu using the LiveCD but can not get to boot in to the os. When I start the PC, get to the grub menu and select the option to boot. The screen change to kubuntu screen then go's to text mode showing the following:

Starting up ...
    Loading, Please Wait...
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problem
    - Boot args (cat /prog/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - Check root= (did the system wait for right device)
    - Missing module (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/3328a24e-ca23-4ce9-88cb-1c90e1588e5b does not exist. Dropping to shell!

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu6) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

So I type in the commands and this is what I got

(initramfs) cat /proc/cmdline
    root=UUID=3328a24e-ca23-4ce9-88cb-1c90e1588e5b ro quiet splash

(initramfs) cat /proc/modules; ls /dev
    [to long to type]

I also check the /dev/disk/id-uuid directory in to see if the uuid was present and it was.

Re: kubuntu fails to load after grub menu

Originally posted by chylee

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/3328a24e-ca23-4ce9-88cb-1c90e1588e5b does not exist. Dropping to shell!
    There seems to be some problem with the grub entry in the MBR, even thought it obviously wrote a boot menu, so the installer thought it did the job OK.

So, you can boot and run the Live CD?

Is there another OS installed on that computer? Are there any "special" setups with the other OS? Was there a previous OS installed on the hard drive?

You might need to make a GParted Live CD and set the "boot" flag on the partition where you have Kubuntu installed, if that is also the partition where you installed grub. Get the GParted Live CD ISO from here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=271779

I think I'd use GParted to re-format the partition, set the boot flag, and then install Kubuntu again (with my fingers crossed and a prayer to the little monkey-god).

Comment

I'll take a guess that GRUB is set up OK, but the installation of your II is bad (and/or the menu.lst entries are not correct).
      Seems to have trouble finding your root device. Doesn't recognize the UUID.
      In the II menu.lst for Kubuntu (the entry that you selected from the boot menu when this happens), there's a kernel line and an initrd line, each containing
      root=UUID=etcetc
      Did you check that UUID (where the Kubuntu root files are located)?
      UUIDs, listing:
      From Live CD and HD: ls /dev/disk/by-uuid/ -alh
      From HD: blkid
      If it is correct, then check to see that you have kernel (vmlinuz) and initrd (initrd.img) files in your
      /boot
      directory. You need the “vmlinuz...-generic” files and not just the backup “...-generic.bak” files (and same for initrd.img files: not just the “initrd.img...-generic.bak” backup files).
      And maybe you could copy your menu.lst here (just the important parts containing the “title” sections).
      I don't have II yet, but these guys do and they could check it against theirs.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I am experiencing the same problem? To be exact, the KDE 4 graphical login screen does not load, I only get the user login prompt in text mode.

[edit] Here i what happened, as far as I can tell:

I was running Kubuntu Hardy Heron. It had both KDE 3 and 4. Then at about Saturday Oct 18, 9am American Eastern time, I decided to upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid Beta via internet connection (as opposed to live CD). I followed the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...grades/Kubuntu

The download and install of Intrepid packages succeeded, as far as I can tell. After installation and cleaning up of obsolete packages, I got the message saying Kubuntu has to reboot to upgrade to complete.

Reboot my notebook PC, then I get to the GRUB menu with listings of kernel versions and WinXP Home. I select the latest kernel 2.6.27, then get the initial Kubuntu splash screen, and in the meantime I presume various services are being loaded.

But next I get a text screen with user login prompt. Not the graphical KDE 4 login.

I checked, and the vmlinuz and initrd.img files do exist in /boot. This could not be a problem with the kernel, could it? Because if it's a kernel problem, how would I have even gotten to the login prompt?

Could it be a problem with KDE 4's desktop not loading? Because if I select recovery mode from GRUB, I see a lot of messages telling me what services are being loaded, then at the end I get a message saying "kdm-kde4 is not the default display manager", then the login prompt.

Comment

Sure doesn't sound like a GRUB problem.
          As for the rest (the mechanics of the log-in screen), others here may have some ideas and tricks.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Okay, I still do not know what the problem is exactly, but now I get the KDM login screen and managed to login to get to my KDE 4.1 desktop screen.

Nor do I know how I resolved the matter exactly. But this is what I did.

1. Booted into recovery mode.

2. Deleted my current Intrepid version of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

3. Copied contents of my previous Hardy version of xorg.conf, which had been backed up and renamed as xorg.conf.dist-upgrade

4. Ran apt-get to remove and then (re)install xserver-xorg-video-ati, xserver-xorg-video-radeon, and xorg-driver-fglrx and fglrx-control (cos my notebook PC has the Radeon Xpress 200M).

5. apt-get informs me that the fglrx-control is not available, but is replaced by fglrx-amdcccle

6. So I also installed this fglrx-amdcccle along with reinstalling the rest.

7. Rebooted.

8. GRUB, then select latest kernel, then yes, I got the KDM 4 login screen.

So it seems to have something to do with the ati or fglrx drivers for the ATI video chip?

Comment

But now I cannot reboot the computer properly. The system hangs after I select "restart". I get funny lines on the screen, and it just hangs there

Out of pure frustration, I hit Ctrl-At-Del, and I managed to get to the reboot splash screen...

What's going on? Where is this adventure with Intrepid headed to?

Comment

Ok! thank you for your responses

I don't think it is anything to do with grub through I'm not a linux guru. This is because I have windows installed and I can get into windows with some adjustments in grub. The installation wasn't smooth. After installation grub was pointing to the wrong drive e.g. [root (hd1,6) instead of (hd0,0)]. So I altered menu.lst file to correct the error. But now I have this problem.

Originally posted by dibl
                Is there another OS installed on that computer? Are there any "special" setups with the other OS? Was there a previous OS installed on the hard drive?
                I have 3 os installed. 2 windows and kubuntu.
                hd0,0 = windows
                hd0,? = windows
                hd0,6 = kubuntu

Qqmike I have check the uuid in busybox after it fail to boot and it is there. I have also check with the liveCD uuid number is still the same for the boot partition.

kernel and initrd.img is there

'ls /dev/disk/by-uuid/ -alh' on the liveCD
                Code:
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-10-19 22:41 21679C6A6AFC91A9 -> ../../sdd5
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-10-19 22:41 3328a24e-ca23-4ce9-88cb-1c90e1588e5b -> ../../sde7
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-10-19 22:41 344b16de-f03b-4c21-a25e-59b0d6b489d6 -> ../../sde6
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-10-19 22:41 4ADB-9D68 -> ../../sdd7
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-10-19 22:41 5E15886922E691D2 -> ../../sdd6
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-10-19 22:41 D284EA7D84EA6407 -> ../../sde1
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-10-19 22:41 E590102911716041 -> ../../sde5
                here is my menu.lst
                Code:
                title		Ubuntu intrepid (development branch), kernel 2.6.27-4-generic
                root		(hd0,6)
                kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-4-generic root=UUID=3328a24e-ca23-4ce9-88cb-1c90e1588e5b ro quiet splash 
                initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-4-generic
                quiet

title		Ubuntu intrepid (development branch), kernel 2.6.27-4-generic (recovery mode)
                root		(hd0,6)
                kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-4-generic root=UUID=3328a24e-ca23-4ce9-88cb-1c90e1588e5b ro single
                initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-4-generic

title		Ubuntu intrepid (development branch), kernel Last successful boot
                root		(hd0,6)
                kernel		/boot/last-good-boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=3328a24e-ca23-4ce9-88cb-1c90e1588e5b ro quiet splash last-good-boot
                quiet

title		Ubuntu intrepid (development branch), memtest86+
                root		(hd0,6)
                kernel		/boot/memtest86+.bin
                quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
                # ones.
                title		Other operating systems:
                root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
                # on /dev/sdb1
                title		Windows NT/2000/XP (loader)
                root		(hd0,0)
                savedefault
                makeactive
                map		(hd0) (hd1)
                map		(hd1) (hd0)
                chainloader	+1

Comment

sde7 = your Kubuntu II -- the partition that is not booting, and this is (hd0,6), right?
                  Have you set your BIOS to boot from that drive (the drive that is called sde)?
                  The drive hd0 is always the first drive set to boot in BIOS setup, (Usually, (hd0,6) would correspond to sda7, not to sde7.)

Back to the error message:
                  Starting up ...
                  Loading, Please Wait...

I'm not an expert here, but that sure seems to suggest that something is missing (a partition, or a module). The stuff contained within parentheses are tips of what you might try at the BusyBox prompt to help diagnoses the problem. Of course, that all presupposes that we are able to decipher what the heck is returned when you do those commands (cat, ls).

=> a bad installation? (assuming that it is not something simple, like the sda and sde stuff I mentioned at the start of this post)

Comment

Might be helpful/informative to see what your /etc/fstab file contains.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi again

Originally posted by Qqmike
                      sde7 = your Kubuntu II -- the partition that is not booting, and this is (hd0,6), right?
                      Have you set your BIOS to boot from that drive (the drive that is called sde)?
                      The drive hd0 is always the first drive set to boot in BIOS setup, (Usually, (hd0,6) would correspond to sda7, not to sde7.)
                      Yes the bios boot that drive. When I boot from that drive sde7 is actually sda7, from the liveCD it is sde7. And yes the partition not booting up is (hd0,6 = sda7)

Originally posted by Qqmike
                      I'm not an expert here, but that sure seems to suggest that something is missing (a partition, or a module). The stuff contained within parentheses are tips of what you might try at the BusyBox prompt to help diagnoses the problem. Of course, that all presupposes that we are able to decipher what the heck is returned when you do those commands (cat, ls).
                      This is the second time I install kubuntu and it came up with the same error. Have attach the results for the command 'cat /proc/modules; ls /dev'. I think you might be right that something might be mission. What I'm going to do is download the iso and burn it again and try to install it. There may have been an error on the disc.

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Might be helpful/informative to see what your /etc/fstab file contains.
                      Code:
                      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                      #
                      # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
                      proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
                      # /dev/sdb7
                      UUID=3328a24e-ca23-4ce9-88cb-1c90e1588e5b /        ext3  relatime,errors=remount-ro 0    1
                      # /dev/sdb6
                      UUID=344b16de-f03b-4c21-a25e-59b0d6b489d6 none      swap  sw       0    0
                      /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0
                      /dev/scd1    /media/cdrom1  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello
                        same problem as described by chylee
                        What I'm going to do is download the iso and burn it again and try to install it. There may have been an error on the disc.
                        I try with 2 differents disk (and check iso md5 sum) and ... always the same situation !

Comment

I'm having a similar problem on my laptop. Grub would load fine and then I would get stuck on the Kubuntu logo screen where the blue bar was loading across the screen. I would stop about 1/10th of the way across. Used to be I could power off and power on and the next start would load fine. Now I can't get past the Kubuntu logo screen. I put my other hard drive in, the one with Kubuntu 8.04, so I could even type this message.

What is recovery mode? Is that the F4 I've read about in other posts?

Comment

Originally posted by baldsue
                            What is recovery mode? Is that the F4 I've read about in other posts?
                            Assuming you 'see' your Grub boot menu, it's the second item in the list.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Like Fred Installing again hasn't solved them. The grub menu.lst file was configured wrong. The root command was point to the wrong partition. It was pointing to hd2,6 rather than hd0,6. I corrected this but now I'm back to the same problem

Comment

Working...
                              X