This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISD-server error ? Port 5800?

Hello All! I am running Kubuntu 8.04 and for the past 2 days I got an odd error upon login in:

ISD-server error

The ISD-server could not be started because port 5800 is already in use. Please make sure that no other application is using this port and try again.

The same error does not happen under Gnome, only KDE. I have been unable to figure it out. It opens 11 of such error windows when I log in, but I can't find which app. is causing it. Your help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    El Quimico

Re: ISD-server error ? Port 5800?

I also have this problem but under gnome as well. I tried removing everything that I know uses port 5800 (vino, libraries, desktop sharing utilities, etc) to no avail. Using Network Utilities and doing a port scan shows both ports 5800 and 5900 are open by "unknown" processes. Netstat says the same. What else uses these ports? Could it be they are not being released properly on reboot/shutdown and if so how could I manually release these ports?

Comment

Well, at least I do not feel special anymore . For a second, I beleived that I was the only one with this problem.

I also scanned the ports and I am still trying to figure it out.

El Quimico

Comment

TCP port 5800 protocol information and warnings.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, I'm only at 9 dialog boxes complaining about ISD, and I've removed through both Synaptics and "apt-get remove" any reference to vnc*.
          Sorry Snowhog, but I got that link last week googling 'port 5800'. Yes, I've had this problem for two weeks now.
          I'm not going to complain loudly about a Beta, this is work in progress. However, some program is calling to port 5800. Enter 127.0.0.1:5800, you get "ISD 001.000". 127.0.0.1:5900 reveals "RFB 003.008".
          apt-get remove isd*, reveals a really disturbing fact.
          You'll have test it out yourself, it's a long list, and YOU WILL CRIPPLE HH beta, if you proceed. No Joy.
          By the way, port 5800 is the listening port, port 5900 is the sending port for vnc.

:-X :-X :-X

Please, figure out this headache.

I picked up a tip from TechNet today regarding open ports and listening services. The command "netstat -lnptu" revealed that ports 5800 and 5900 are being used by the program name "ica". By the way, I'm now at 13 dialog boxes.
          But a funny thing happened when I finally decided to install KDE4 into my PC. No dialogs. Reasoning would pin this on a poorly
          defined backend for KDE3, in regards to "ica", or KDE4 isn't complaining loud enough?

The word "can't" does not exist in my vocabulary.

Comment

So, I solved it, but I don't right know.
            just do:

$ ps aux | grep ica

Then will show all process ica.

after do

$ sudo killall -9 ica

Just it, in next boot, when your KDE start not show more this message. Strange but works.

Comment

Hello everybody,
              Yes I am too have this message about port 5800 every time I start kubuntu. And yes, Iam followed the commands

$ ps aux | grep ica

Then will show all process ica.

after do

$ sudo killall -9 ica

And YES the start was nic and clean., butt.. as soon I was using the browser, all the stuff was there again. I think it is nor the meaning to use the commands evry time when finishing the browser?
              Maybe there is one having a solution?javascript:replaceText(' ', document.forms.postmodify.message);
              Stop Windows, go Linux!

Comment

SOLUTION: Re: ISD-server error ? Port 5800?

Thought I'd post this solution for anyone else surfing for a solution. this has been happening for sometime with my system, but I never bothered to dig into it. In KDE if you go to the system session manager and add ica to the list of applications to exclude from sessions, KDE will never try to restart this after that.

Solution number two, you can killall ica like mentioned and then manually save your system state. Then tell the session manager to only restore manually saved sessions, rather than always.

A third option is to tell KDE to never restore sessions.

A fourth option is if you're not using iTALC - intelligent Teaching And Learning with Computers server and clent software. You can remove them. It's really only needed if you are teaching remotely, or want to demo things to PC clients in a network. It allows you to take control of a computer remotely. If you don't know what iTALC is, you're probably safe in removing it. To test that theory, do an apt-get -s purge libitalc and it will tell you what it would remove. In my case there are no other dependent programs and just the three iTALC applications are purged. This is really an iTALC bug, as the client software should check for a running instance per session and silently die if one already exists.

Comment

This command helped me to get rid of this "problem".

$sudo apt-get remove libitalc italc-client italc-master

found on

http://mhashem.wordpress.com/2008/06...not-available/

Greetings to you all.

Comment

Working...
                  X