Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 3.5.5 released for kubuntu (KMail Print Error)

Am I the only one having Printing errors in KMail after the upgrade ? Here is how to reproduce it:

1. Open Kontact, select Kmail
    2. Select an email message
    3. Try to print it. When the Print dialog pops up, I either get an empty list of printers (besides de default ones, such as "Mail PDF"), or an error message, saying "Connection to CUPS server failed".

The weird thing is that other KDE apps are printing fine, using CUPS. Can anyone please try and see if they have the seem problem ? It might be a regression ...

Thanks !
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
      The weird thing is that other KDE apps are printing fine, using CUPS. Can anyone please try and see if they have the seem problem ? It might be a regression ...
      This seems to be a bug in the 'dapper version' of kde 3.5.5 (kdeprint/cups), you should try the solution on this thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9959.0

Haven't tried it myself as cups printing works 'flawlessly' on edgy 3.5.5, but based on the few responses the solution works nicely.

EDIT: Hmm...after reading your post with thought, I noticed your problem only affects kmail, which is a bit strange, but you can try the solution anyway just in case :P

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        This seems to be a bug in the 'dapper version' of kde 3.5.5 (kdeprint/cups), you should try the solution on this thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=9959.0

Haven't tried it myself as cups printing works 'flawlessly' on edgy 3.5.5, but based on the few responses the solution works nicely.

EDIT: Hmm...after reading your post with thought, I noticed your problem only affects kmail, which is a bit strange, but you can try the solution anyway just in case :P
        You are right, it is strange. I just tried the workaround. It prevents the popup error message, but I still can't see the local printer.

I'll wait for the new release, it is around the corner, really. In the meantime, I print to a pdf file. Then I open the pdf with Konqueror (kpdf embedded) and it prints just fine (now I can see the local printer, from the same file dialog, it has to be something silly in how kontact has been compiled, or a small bug in the source code I guess).

Thanks so much for the help. Cheers!

Comment

Re: KDE 3.5.5 released for kubuntu

I'm new to kubuntu and easy installations in linux.
          How do I install the new KDE version without using old style wget url and then rest of the text commands to install it?
          Can it be done via the nifty automatic add/remove programs installer?
          Not sure if this will help as i'm also a newbie. Anyway opened Adept and clicked on manage repositories and at the bottom of the page there is blank space to add new repository links. I copied/pasted this link proived by Xerfas
          deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-355 dapper main
          (The 'standard' 3.5.5 repository)
          deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest dapper main
          When you refresh you will have the upgradable packages. Saying that i'm still unable to upgrade with Adept complaining of dependency or commit problems.

Comment

Originally posted by assettt
            I'm new to kubuntu and easy installations in linux.
            How do I install the new KDE version without using old style wget url and then rest of the text commands to install it?
            Can it be done via the nifty automatic add/remove programs installer?
            I have little time now, but how about this:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7465.15

Note: we really need easier setup of repositories ! Everyone asks this question ...

Comment

Note: we really need easier setup of repositories ! Everyone asks this question ...
              I don't think the biggest problem is adding a repository (as it can also easily be done in adept...and is also documented fairly well), but adding the gpg-key seems to cause a lot of questions, maybe something could be done about that (like adding riddell's key in kubuntu by default...or add a gui tool in adept to easily import keys)

Comment

I don't think the biggest problem is adding a repository (as it can also easily be done in adept...and is also documented fairly well), but adding the gpg-key seems to cause a lot of questions, maybe something could be done about that (like adding riddell's key in kubuntu by default...or add a gui tool in adept to easily import keys)
                Well documented is good for a server, but not good enough for a Desktop. Most things should be intuitive IMHO.

I would like to see a "one-click" solution for this. The user should be able, I believe, to go to a web-page, click on a link, and click "OK". This can be done with little text files, containing all the meta info of the repoistory to be added. One would need to associate a certain application to these text files, but (k/g/x)ubuntu could do this by default.
                The application could be a simple python (perl, etc) script that parses the text file and adds a line to the sources list.

Something along these lines would be lovely ...

Cheers !

Comment

Most things should be intuitive IMHO.
                  True, but adding software repositories is a major administrative decision, with real security implications...so it should not be too trivial to do. Easy, yes...trivial, no.

I would like to see a "one-click" solution for this.
                  The problem is that adding is not the only repository management task, an admin user will periodically have to edit, enable/disable and remove repositories as well...and the one-click approach won't work on those, so it's better to learn to work with the repositories as the skills are needed anyway. Adding and managing repositories is quite simple (nearly point-and-click) with Adept and Synaptic (if one steers away from the CLI)...the exception being the adding of the gpg-keys

Comment

You are right, it is strange. I just tried the workaround. It prevents the popup error message, but I still can't see the local printer.

I'll wait for the new release, it is around the corner, really. In the meantime, I print to a pdf file. Then I open the pdf with Konqueror (kpdf embedded) and it prints just fine (now I can see the local printer, from the same file dialog, it has to be something silly in how kontact has been compiled, or a small bug in the source code I guess).

Thanks so much for the help. Cheers!
                    Ok, here is a follow up. As you said, Kubicle, edgy doesn't have this problem with recognizing localhost as a CUPS server. However, I still couldn't print from KMail. Guess what. I had (don't ask me why/how), this particular printer specifically filtered out, and only when printing from Kontact.

Many thanks !
                    Attached Files

Comment

Guess what. I had (don't ask me why/how), this particular printer specifically filtered out, and only when printing from Kontact.
                      Maybe you had accidentally pressed the filter button next to the printer drop-down box in kontacts print dialog?

I think printers are filtered by default, it you have not explicitly set them to 'show when filtered'...of course the filter isn't enabled by default in print dialogs.

Glad you got it solved, though

Hmm...getting a bit off-topic, maybe a mod can split the printer discussion to a new topic :P

Comment

Guess what. I had (don't ask me why/how), this particular printer specifically filtered out, and only when printing from Kontact.
                        Maybe you had accidentally pressed the filter button next to the printer drop-down box in kontacts print dialog?
                        Guess what, that's exactly it. I just checked. Genious ! Thanks a lot !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X