X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Problem mounting GoFlex remote drive using CIFS-SAMBA in Kubuntu

Hi all..

I am trying out Kubuntu 20.04 on a PC with a Hot-Swap boot disk set-up. I am struggling to mount a remote drive over my home Network using the CIFS/SAMBA interface. I routinely use Ubuntu and Suse on other boot up disks and DON'T have any issues mounting the drive when running them.. so is there something I need to do in Kubuntu that I'm unaware of?

The drive I am trying to mount is like a primitive NAS. It's a single disk Seagate GoFlex system and is about 8 years old (although the disk in it is much newer). The GoFlex runs a primitive Linux system (which I can log into using ssh) but uses the Windows SAMBA interface (as I understand it).

Placing

//192.168.1.6/GoFlex\040Home\040Personal /mnt/goflex_link cifs credentials=/home/paul/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,uid=1000 0 0

in my /etc/fstab file, and the appropriate .smbcredentials file in my home directory, allows me to mount the drive just fine in Ubuntu and Suse, but just does not seem to work in Kubuntu.

I keep getting the following no matter what I try...

mount error(2): No such file or directory
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

I'm assuming that there is no firewall by default in Kubuntu? I have intsalled "cif-utils" and "samba" using sudo apt-get install. I can ping the drive just fine.

Anyone got any ideas what's going wrong?

Thanks

Solved .. after searching the web for a couple of hours, I discovered I just needed to add 'vers=1.0' in the line in the fstab, so it reads ...

//192.168.1.6/GoFlex\040Home\040Personal /mnt/goflex_link cifs credentials=/home/paul/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,uid=1000, vers=1.0 0 0

Comment

I remember having to figure that out a few years ago. I sometimes wonder how many Kubuntu'ers give up when they come across a remote drive issue.

1) I use the following to mount the drives at startup.
      sudo nano /etc/network/if-up.d/fstab

#!/bin/sh
      mount -a

sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/fstabsudo nano /etc/network/if-up.d/fstab

#!/bin/sh
      mount -a

sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/fstab

2) I also add socket options = option to the [global] section of your smb.conf file. This single line can gain you a 200% throughput increase over default settings.
      sudo nano etc/samba/smb.conf
      ; bind interfaces only = yes (find this line and insert below after it)
      socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
      3) Also, I'm using vers=2.0.0.0, something to do with the old MyBookLive.

//192.168.0.9/Public /media/windowsshare cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,users,vers=2.0 0 0

After having tried Linux Mint, when it came to installing Kubuntu I took notes for future reference. I must be getting old.

Comment

Working...
      X