X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Package failed to install

Hi,
    I'm trying to install packages using Discover. For each package I click on the "Install" button. Each package reaches the 99% point in the install process and then the message shown in the title above is displayed. Also, the "Install" label on the install button changes to "Remove". Further, the packages don't show up in the appropriate subsection of the Application Launcher. For example, both QtCreator and KDevelop don't show up in Applications/Development and Fritzing doesn't show up in Applications/Electronics. Lastly, when I examine the "Installed" section within Discover, I see that Fritzing, KDevelop, and QtCreator are all listed as installed with each package having a "Remove" button.

Is there something that I'm missing here ?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Stuart

You could try it from the command line and see if you get more meaningful info.
    For example, what do you get if you type
    sudo apt install fritzing
    ?

Comment

Run:

kdevelop

and tell us if it ever opens the KDevelop IDE.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
      Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win / & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

If you don't insist on using Discover: I have installed KDevelop on two computers with apt in Konsole recently and it did show up in K-Menu / Applications / Development afterwards…

PS: Try running kbuildsycoca5 in Konsole, this should rebuild the K-Menu entries - perhaps it helps with your problem…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 04, 2020, 04:09 PM. Reason: added PS and typos
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Hi Schwarzer Kater,

I tried running kbuildersycoca5 in Konsole and received the following reply.

kbuildsycoca5
          kbuildsycoca5 running...
          kf5.kservice.sycoca: Parse error in "/home/kub/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"

Do you have any idea what this means and how I can correct it ?

Best regards,

Stuart

Comment

Hi kyonides,

I ran kdevelop in Konsole and two things happened in an interleaved manner. First the response shown below was displayed.

kdevelop
            Qt WebEngine seems to be initialized from a plugin. Please set Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts using QCoreApplication::setAttribute before constructing QGuiApplication.
            Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
            kdevplatform.shell: Could not load plugin "kdevperforce" , it reported the error: "The variable P4CONFIG is not set. Is perforce installed on the system?" Disabling the plugin now.
            kdevplatform.shell: Could not load plugin "kdevgit" , it reported the error: "Unable to find git executable. Is it installed on the system?" Disabling the plugin now.
            kdevplatform.shell: Can't load plugin "kdevghprovider" because a required dependency could not be loaded: "org.kdevelop.IBasicVersionControl@kdevgit"
            kdevplatform.shell: process finished with error: QProcess::FailedToStart
            kdevplatform.shell: Could not load plugin "KDevCMakeDocumentation" , it reported the error: "Unable to find a CMake executable. Is one installed on the system?" Disabling the plugin now.
            kdevplatform.shell: Can't load plugin "kdevkdeprovider" some of its required dependencies could not be fulfilled: "org.kdevelop.IBasicVersionControl@kdevgit"
            created new snippet repo "/home/kub/.local/share/ktexteditor_snippets/ghns/BOOST_PREPROCESSOR-1.1.xml" SnippetRepository(0x55ff80ced3e0)
            created new snippet repo "/home/kub/.local/share/ktexteditor_snippets/ghns/C++ 11 Basic Completion-0.2.xml" SnippetRepository(0x55ff80cf9c70)
            /usr/bin/cat: /home/kub/.local/share/kdevelop/sessions/{70ed5d60-680f-4973-a5d4-0e0ff57d12a9}/default.sh: No such file or directory
            qrc:/qml/Develop.qml:139:21: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "font.pointSize"
            qrc:/qml/area_code.qml:87:9: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "font.pointSize"
            qrc:/qml/area_code.qml:63:9: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "font.pointSize"
            qrc:/qml/storage.js:24: TypeError: Cannot call method 'openDatabaseSync' of undefined
            qrc:/qml/storage.js:24: TypeError: Cannot call method 'openDatabaseSync' of undefined

Part way during the displaying of the response shown above, the KDevelop IDE did(!) open, in a somewhat reduced size. When I closed the IDE the system generated the following response.

register count: 0, destroy count: 0

WRT the Git and Perforce plugins, I opened KDevelop, selected Settings/Configure KDevelop/Plugins and enabled both Git and Perforce plugins. It then turned out that I had to use Discover to installed the Git package that had the same icon as the KDevelop plugin. This enabled the Git plugin within KDevelop. Discover could not find any package for Perforce.

This is as far as I have got. Any suggestions/advice you may have would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Stuart

Comment

I've had some success installing with Discover, but it's inconsistent. So I stay away from it specifically for installing software. But it is good for FINDING software, mostly.

I only use synaptic, muon, or apt for actually installing.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by stuarte View Post
                […]
                kf5.kservice.sycoca: Parse error in "/home/kub/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"

Do you have any idea what this means and how I can correct it ?
                […]
                Honestly I don't and can only guess.
                I would move the complete contents of $HOME/.config/menus to e.g. the desktop, logout and -in, see if and what has happened and run kbuildsycoca5 again. You can always copy the contents back again, if the need occurs.
                My $HOME/.config/menus folder contains one file only: applications-kmenuedit.menu, which contains the changes I have made manually by right-klicking on the K-Menu and editing the entries…
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Working...
                X