This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back In Time mount drive at startup

How do you guys mount a drive at startup so that Back in Time can do syncs? Atm I edit fstab, is there an easier way in 20.04

fstab is probably the best way, unless it is a thumb drive or something often removed, as this mounts the drive before plasma and any background services or programs are run.
    You can look at the Removeable Storage section of System Settings and set automounting options there and set it to mount the desired drive on login, which probably will work, but may not mount it before backintime is looking for the drive.

Comment

In case you don't want to use fstab: When Back In Time does not find the drive (e.g. because it is not mounted fast enough by Plasma/System Settings/Automount), it will usually wait for 30 Seconds and try again. So this should work, and has worked for computers I used this method for (both with removable and fixed storage).

fstab is by far the better / only working option, if you use Back In Time and Timeshift on the same drive / partition within the same time, because of the way Timeshift remounts the destination for backing up otherwise.
      The destination has to be present during booting then.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 03, 2020, 04:40 PM. Reason: typos, as usual
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Thank you, claydoh and Schwarzer Kater, will give it a go.

Comment

In Removable Devices I can see the shared network drives I set up using fstab, e.g. Public on 192.168.0.9 (ip of WD MyBookLive). Hovering over it the popup says it's a UDI (whatever that is): UDI: org/kde/fstab///192.168.0.9/Public. To mount a network share do you I always have to edit fstab, or is there is a simpler way?

Comment

Working...
          X