X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] kdenlive super glitchy?

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

So far from using it for first time since my upgrade I've encountered the following:

- when maximize, if you right click anywhere in timeline, the menu goes on the wrong monitor. it should go where the cursor is. you can temporary fix this by making it smaller and bigger again

- When moving tracks, the audio wave form vanishes

- The bottom scroll bar also vanishes sometimes, or is very hard to see. Think this is more of a colour issue, it needs to be a clearer colour.

- Most clip effect options missing, such as speed. I only get lift/gamma/gain, Transform, volume. Where are all the others? And transitions?

- Stop/play within time line also feels really glitchy like there's a delay bet, like there's a delay, and sometimes it does not work, or it starts playing somewhere else than where you are on time line. When you click on part of the timeline the preview does not update right away either. Overall feels very awful. Also sometimes the entire application just closes out of nowhere when trying to play/stop. Overall the play/stop is the most glitchy it just feels super terrible.

- When dragging a clip, every now and then it will drag the entire application instead as if you were grabbing the window.

Will add if I find more but this is just from using it for a very short while. I'm hoping these are known issues with plans to be fixed and not just something wrong with my system.

I used Kdenlive on Mint 18 before this and it just did not feel this glitchy, though that version was super outdated.
    Last edited by Red Squirrel; May 29, 2020, 12:00 AM.

Kdenlive is often glitchy but more often crash prone.

It isn't always a solution but using their appimage is usually the most stable as they include their own versions of the tools and dependencies. plus it is more up to date.

Having said that the most current appimage release does not guarantee stability (,based on past use) but it does currently seem more stable than what comes with either 20.04 or KDE Neon

And having said THAT lol I've been preferring Openshot despite it having somewhat fewer knobs and dials to twist. It doesn't go boom! like kdenlive is prone to.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I also use Open Shot and find it quite stable now. I've also been experimenting with an Appimage of Shotcut, which has gotten good reviews. It seems as easy as Open Shot so far but with more options.

Comment

Hmm never heard of Openshot I might have to try it if these issues are not resolved.

Comment

Do note that the kdenlive in Focal is at 19.12.3 , while the current is 20.04.1, https://kdenlive.org/en/download/
          I personally have not seen the issues you have, but I haven't used it via native *buntu packaging on 20.04, only appimages.

Comment

Not that this will provide much help, but I have used Kdenlive since going to K20.05 and have didn't have such issues.

Comment

Yesterday I completed using Kdenlive to load and edit 14 videos and 4 audio lines associated with camera images. The upper part on my Kdenlive window looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kdenlive.png
Views:	1
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	644779

I have found that when loading a video, I have to wait for it to complete before dragging it onto the time line. Sometimes I find that the associated audio line does not show. I have found that by using the bottom right zoom in/out, I can get it to show.

Also, in the past, I have found that in the Kdenlive directory, at the top there is a list of numbered folders. When I delete these folders Kdenlive still works. In the version I have, ie 20.04, it works OK without these folders. In the past, with previous versions, I have found that this removes problems with Kdenlive.

I hope you are able to find the source of your problems with Kdenlive as I consider it to be a superb editor for what I need to do.

Comment

I just upgraded to the latest Kdenlive AppImage and it seems quite stable to me. I am running KDE Neon 5.18. BTW, my video editor of choice these days is Shotcut. The developer participates on the forum most every day. I find that getting help from the KDE community for large projects such as Kdenlive is severely lacking. I sometimes use Kdenlive to do stuff I can't get Shotcut to do.

-=Ken=-
                -=Ken=-
                "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
                DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I realized that for playback/stopping it seems it's more glitchy when I use space bar, if I use the play/stop button in the player it's not as bad, but it still has that annoying delay. Another issue that's annoying is if you add new tracks, for whatever reason they are super bright red. It seems if I play around with it I can get it to go back to normal colour. But yeah all the other stuff is still a big annoyance.

But I noticed that even outside of kdenlive one glitch I've been getting in the GUI is sometimes actions drag the entire window instead of what I'm trying to do. Like in Firefox sometimes when I'm in bookmarks the cursor will randomly act like I'm dragging the window and it moves the whole window until I click.

Comment

I'm using the version in the repository. I used it to edit a 1.29GB video and didn't have any problems with it. It worked super smooth for me as I dragged the marker around the 90 minute time line to mark and remove about half of it. Rendering to an MP4 file using 720p, 30fps took less than 25 minutes.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sucks that means it's my system then, as usual... I always have bad luck with everything. Was hoping it would be a known issue so at least I can feel better and just wait for a fix. This is a rather fresh install too. Where can I look to begin troubleshooting all of this? Especially the play/stop glitchiness and the dialogs and menu going on the wrong screen is also very annoying, it makes it very rough around the edges to use.

For the track colour issue I just made the default to have more tracks so that seems to have solved it. Mine is very dark, not a fan of this colour scheme at all, but if I change it to the normal one, I lose the bottom scroll bar completely.

I don't know if it changes anything but I'm using this on a 4k. (I have 2 4k monitors one on top of each other, bottom one is primary)

If it matters these are my specs:

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core Processor @ 1.54Ghz
                      Ram: 8GB (I want to up that eventually, this was originally a mining rig)
                      GPU if it matters: VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev e7)

Would a faster CPU maybe help? I don't have any money to upgrade at this point though, since it would probably mean a new motherboard too.
                      Last edited by Red Squirrel; Jun 03, 2020, 11:40 PM.

Comment

It is unfortunate that you are having so much trouble with Kdenlive.

I am wondering if you have tried running glmark2 as this package give a good test of a graphics card. You should be able to find examples on YouTube of what you should get when running it.

Comment

Not sure if this is a good score or not but here's the output:

Code:
                          =======================================================
                             glmark2 2014.03+git20150611.fa71af2d
                             OpenGL Information
                             GL_VENDOR:     X.Org
                             GL_RENDERER:   Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.35.0, 5.4.0-31-generic, LLVM 9.0.1)
                             GL_VERSION:    4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 20.0.4
                          [build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 7039 FrameTime: 0.142 ms
                          [build] use-vbo=true:
                          FPS: 12089 FrameTime: 0.083 ms
                          [texture] texture-filter=nearest: FPS: 11598 FrameTime: 0.086 ms
                          [texture] texture-filter=linear: FPS: 11273 FrameTime: 0.089 ms
                          [texture] texture-filter=mipmap: FPS: 10483 FrameTime: 0.095 ms
                          [shading] shading=gouraud: FPS: 9221 FrameTime: 0.108 ms
                          [shading] shading=blinn-phong-inf: FPS: 10381 FrameTime: 0.096 ms
                          [shading] shading=phong: FPS: 11604 FrameTime: 0.086 ms
                          [shading] shading=cel: FPS: 11751 FrameTime: 0.085 ms
                          [bump] bump-render=high-poly: FPS: 10063 FrameTime: 0.099 ms
                          [bump] bump-render=normals: FPS: 10997 FrameTime: 0.091 ms
                          [bump] bump-render=height: FPS: 11244 FrameTime: 0.089 ms
                          [effect2d] kernel=0,1,0;1,-4,1;0,1,0;: FPS: 11740 FrameTime: 0.085 ms
                          [effect2d] kernel=1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;: FPS: 9896 FrameTime: 0.101 ms
                          [pulsar] light=false:quads=5:texture=false: FPS: 10740 FrameTime: 0.093 ms
                          [desktop] blur-radius=5:effect=blur:passes=1:separable=true:windows=4: FPS: 6171 FrameTime: 0.162 ms
                          [desktop] effect=shadow:windows=4: FPS: 6112 FrameTime: 0.164 ms
                          [buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 1354 FrameTime: 0.739 ms
                          [buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=subdata: FPS: 1688 FrameTime: 0.592 ms
                          [buffer] columns=200:interleave=true:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 1351 FrameTime: 0.740 ms
                          [ideas] speed=duration: FPS: 3651 FrameTime: 0.274 ms
                          [jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 8953 FrameTime: 0.112 ms
                          [terrain] <default>: FPS: 1767 FrameTime: 0.566 ms
                          [shadow] <default>: FPS: 9215 FrameTime: 0.109 ms
                          [refract] <default>: FPS: 3467 FrameTime: 0.288 ms
                          [conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 12198 FrameTime: 0.082 ms
                          [conditionals] fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 12381 FrameTime: 0.081 ms
                          [conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 12299 FrameTime: 0.081 ms
                          [function] fragment-complexity=low:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 10598 FrameTime: 0.094 ms
                          [function] fragment-complexity=medium:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 11693 FrameTime: 0.086 ms
                          [loop] fragment-loop=false:fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 10263 FrameTime: 0.097 ms
                          [loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=false:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 9150 FrameTime: 0.109 ms
                          [loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=true:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 9499 FrameTime: 0.105 ms
                                                           glmark2 Score: 8846 
                          I don't think kdenlive uses GPU acceleration though does it? My issues are more GUI related so I'm thinking it's a GDI resources thing (or whatever is the equivalent in Linux).

Comment

I've decided to switch to Blender 2.8.2 (in repository) to do my video editing. One feature I really like is the ability to set up display proxies that let the video display port to run at full speed without jitter or hanging. None of which bothered me with kdenlive, but it has more features.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Squirrel View Post
                              Not sure if this is a good score or not but here's the output:
                              The output that you have is over 3.5 times what I get from my system. My main problem at the moment is that I do not have the Linux driver for my video card. So it looks like the problem is not with your video driver.

Originally posted by Red Squirrel View Post
                              I don't think kdenlive uses GPU acceleration though does it? My issues are more GUI related so I'm thinking it's a GDI resources thing (or whatever is the equivalent in Linux).
                              As far as I know kdenlive does not use GPU acceleration. I had a look at Blender and unfortunately I was not impressed, as much of what I do with kdenlive is much faster and more extensive. Also in the demo, I was surprised that the video of the author playing with the dog was not rotated 90 degrees by the Blender.

If you want to know my kdenlive settings, I can show images from my system. I mainly use the development system 20.10 but also have the LTS 20.04.

Comment

Working...
                              X