Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah this is really bad, it's worse now for me. It shuts off on it's own, usually if I try to do too many things at once. I have to be very gentle with every move or it just starts to glitch right out and/or shut off. My settings are fairly standard, I didn't really change anything so don't think it's a settings issue.

Anyone use Davinci Resolve? I never heard about it until recently but it looks good from what I see and it looks like they have a Linux version. I'd even be willing to pay if it's good, but it looks like they have a free version too.

Another glitch. Transitions don't seem to apply to a rendered video. See here:

https://youtu.be/p7humtvMaAg?t=180

That's suppose to be a fade but instead it's that weird green stuff.
    Last edited by Red Squirrel; Jun 12, 2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Are you sure that your problems are not with your video camera. Have you looked at the video from your camera using VLC?

Comment

The video from the camera is fine, even within the time line view it does the fade (if it does not crash) it's only the final render where the green stuff shows up. It also crashes when I hit render, but it seems the render process is a separate process so it still renders, but maybe the crash is part of the issue.

Comment

I am wondering what your project video settings are and what rendering file format is? I use the mp4 option and have not had any trouble with that. For most of my work I use 1280x720 for my project settings. Even though I have UHD screens, YouTube uploads do not accommodate higher resolutions.

Comment

I do 1080p and do Mp4 as well. Though the instability happens even before the rendering process. I have lot of other weird issues with this machine so almost wondering if I should do a clean install, but this IS a fairly new/clean install and some of the issues started from the start. As much as I hope it's not, starting to wonder if it's hardware related. I get lot of issues with audio stuttering when playing Youtube videos as well. Also have a weird issue where file associations don't stick. (ex: when I open excel files with calc and check the box for it to remember, it does not remember) Lot of other oddball issues like that.

This machine worked fine as a server before as I was mining with it, so I might be due to just build a new machine and repurpose this one back as a server. All the issues are GUI/desktop related. Won't be able to afford that for a while though, I went and bought a used truck on credit which turned into a money pit and will be paying that off for a while.

Comment

I am wondering if you could try some "clean-up" of your current system. In the past, I have changed the file .cache to .cache_bk as the system will create another .cache folder in your home directory.

It would be useful in your home directory to do a find command, ie
              Code:
              find ~/ -name "*kdenlive*"
              From this you will find other files related to kdenlive. You could always give them the same treatment as the .cache folder and rename the folders with a bk suffix.

Alternatively, You may want to purge kdenlive from your system before doing the above steps. In this case, it might be easier to delete all the leftover kdenlive files. Rebooting you can remove all kdenlive dependencies before then installing kdenlive.

I am sure that kdenlive will create new folders after completing these steps. When you start kdenlive after these steps you will need to go through Project> Project Settings and Settings > Configure Kdenlive . . . again.

I just hope that this will help stabilize kdenlive for you.
              Last edited by NoWorries; Jun 15, 2020, 06:44 PM. Reason: Added purging kdenlive

Comment

Did not get a chance to try all that but starting to wonder if it's really hardware related as I noticed Firefox started to act up as well. Whenever I bring a window up that's minimize, it seems to take so much effort for it to draw. It's almost like in Windows when you're running out of GDI resources. One thing I just realized this is probably the first machine I build where I don't do a dual or quad channel configuration with the ram. Could that be an issue? I'm just running a single 8GB stick. This machine was originally for mining ethereum and I repurposed it as I needed a GPU with 2 HDMI and my last machine had a weird issue where it would act weird if I put an add on GPU. This GPU was not mined with though it's new.

Would adding more ram maybe help? I can't afford that right now but I can always save up for a 32GB kit at least.

Comment

Ram is ok but moar is always more better lol. what video card? If Nvidia did you install the proprietary driver?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't had these issues but I can say, I do have 16GB RAM along with the drivers for NVidia. If that helps. I do also have libdvd-pkg installed. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

Comment

I decided to switch to Blender and its video editing mode, and purged kdenlive. There are good tutorials on YT.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have a AMD RX580.

I can't seem to find any way to install the proprietary driver so I'm just running whatever comes with the OS.

Comment

Ok so tried to uninstall and reinstall, another SUPER annoying thing is dialogs always show up on the top monitor instead of bottom (primary). There has got to be a way to fix this. Anyone? It's the most infuriating thing. I tried the KDE window rules, no luck. But anyway now I get an error dialog that the project uses GPU acceleration and that GPU acceleration is not available so it wants to convert to non GPU acceleration. Is there a way to just enable GPU acceleration? Maybe that would make things better?

Comment

There is no proprietary driver for AMD, it is not needed like it is with Nvidia.

I can't recall what source or version of Kdenlive you are using.
                            As to gpu acceleration, that may depend on what your source is for Kdenlive.
                            Note that the setting, if available on your version, is actually hiding in the "playback" section.
                            I find that the appimage/flatpak does not have this available for AMD and intel at least, the included ffmpeg and/or MLT in it does not have this capability built in, or I have not figured out how to enable it.
                            The ppa version does have it available, but it is still highly experimental. It was only added back to Kdenlive fairly recently, after is was disabled due to instability/unreliability
                            ime it does not save much time on my rx480 (which is extremely similar to your GPU) and quality may not be quite as good vs CPU processing, heck I am not even sure it is even using my gpu tbh.

Enabling this won't have any effect on the GUI bits at all, so your case likely won't be alleviated by using the option.

I can't replicate your issues when using my PC with two screens nor have I found any similar reports after a n admittedly very brief looksy.

Not that it will pinpoint a fix, but a common troubleshooting tool for gui glitches is to create a new user account, and see if it acts the same there. it well could be a general Plasma bug as opposed to a Kdenlive one/.

I use mainly Openshot, as things are more reliable, and it is very clear on choosing a render option that is using GPU acceleration, kdenlive you have really no idea what to do, or what arcane option to specify.
                            Still, GPU vs CPU rendering for me has almost no difference in time spent, CPU is often slightly faster on my i5-8400 as opposed to the rx480

Comment

I'm using whatever version is in the repository, I did not change anything in that respect. That said, it seems just saying "yes" (to rebuild the project without GPU acceleration) seems to have fixed the weird rendering issues. Rendering also took much longer so I guess it was in fact using GPU acceleration before and now it's not. Not sure what changed. I can live with longer render times if it means it renders properly. Not sure if it fixed the crashing though, I'll know next time I go to edit video.

I may try Openshot though if the problems don't go away. The dialogs alone will be enough to drive me to insanity if I can't solve it. I cannot stand when stuff does not go on the monitor it's suppose to. I avoided multi monitor for the longest time because of that tbh and only recently decided to try it again. Was hoping that going with a top/bottom setup would prevent this stuff from happening. It seems to be very app specific, which makes it even more infuriating.

Comment

If you get crashes still try kdenlives PPA.
                                You'll get a newer release which often fixes bugs.

But they also can add new ones, when there is a new major release usually. The current version is a bugfix release to their latest version- 20.04.1 (no relation to Kubuntu numbering)

I need to play with it more but it's more complicated feature-filled than Openshot and I am too lazy to learn things.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X