This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated driver for AMD RX470 graphics

Hi. I have an AMD graphics card whose main HDMI output is faulty (feeding into a Dell monitor with jack audio output into speakers). I am now using a DVI output port with a DVI to HDMI adaptor for graphics. Only problem is I get no audio from this connection. Previously the audio from the HDMI port worked fine until the port failed. I get no available physical connection in the audio settings, only my motherboard onboard audio. I am using KDE Neon on 18.04, but a live Kubuntu 20.04 gives the same result.

Any help?

P.S. This output configuration works normally under Windows 10.

Code:
    *-display
             description: VGA compatible controller
             product: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X]
             vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
             physical id: 0
             bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
             version: cf
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
             resources: irq:29 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f01fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7e00000-f7e3ffff memory:c0000-dffff

*-multimedia
             description: Audio device
             product: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 580]
             vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
             physical id: 0.1
             bus info: pci@0000:01:00.1
             version: 00
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
             resources: irq:32 memory:f7e60000-f7e63fff
    Last edited by cookiemuncher; May 29, 2020, 04:07 AM.

AMD drivers are open source, so there is nothing to update to - you have the latest driver available.
    The issue lies elsewhere, most likely. I have a similar card (rx480) on KDE neon, and I do use an adapter though it is a Displayport to HDMI, and sound works.

What does the output of the command aplay -l show?

here is mine

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][B]claydoh@claydoh-Pavilion590[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ aplay -l[/COLOR]
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC671 Analog [ALC671 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
    card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]

[/FONT]
    Odd, as my card has 3 DVI slots and one HDMI, with a monitor and a TV connected.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      AMD drivers are open source, so there is nothing to update to - you have the latest driver available.
      The issue lies elsewhere, most likely. I have a similar card (rx480) on KDE neon, and I do use an adapter though it is a Displayport to HDMI, and sound works.

What does the output of the command aplay -l show?

here is mine

Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][B]claydoh@claydoh-Pavilion590[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ aplay -l[/COLOR]
      card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC671 Analog [ALC671 Analog]

[/FONT]
      Odd, as my card has 3 DVI slots and one HDMI, with a monitor and a TV connected.
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54ff54][B]chris@neon[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=monospace]:[B][COLOR=#000025]~[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][FONT=monospace]$ aplay -l show
      card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev3 Analog [ALC662 rev3 Analog]
      [/FONT]

In audio settings, 'playback devices' indicates 'Dummy Output', under advanced shows 'profile: off' with no other possibility.
      Last edited by cookiemuncher; Jun 04, 2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that, as this setup is working in Windows, is that maybe the specific adapter is not supported in Linux?

You see nothing for this audio device connection in the tray applet or in system settings at all?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          The only thing I can think of at the moment is that, as this setup is working in Windows, is that maybe the specific adapter is not supported in Linux?

You see nothing for this audio device connection in the tray applet or in system settings at all?
          Tray indicates audio muted. If I click the speaker in the tray I get 'no output or input devices found'. Weird.

EDIT:
          Downloaded the latest Fedora iso and same problem. Shows 'dummy' under device. Strangest thing is that Fedora has a audio level indicator under the 'dummy' device in the audio settings which indicates presence of audio, but no output .
          Last edited by cookiemuncher; May 28, 2020, 06:44 PM. Reason: Fedora

Comment

Then my guess is it may be the adapter.
            I haven't found much solid info on these

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Only bit of luck so far in getting this audio to work is by downloading Ubuntu Studio 20.04. With this distro I get a dropdown list of audio connections in the configuration profile but they display '(unplugged)(unavailable)' for each connection. That distro live uses ubuntu-studio 5.4.0-26-lowlatency.
              Last edited by cookiemuncher; May 30, 2020, 03:18 AM.

Comment

I get a dropdown list of audio connections in the configuration profile but they display '(unplugged)(unavailable)' for each connection.
                This is all leading to the idea that audio over this sort of adapter is either not supported in Linux, or the particular adapter itself is not supported in Linux. Do you have any info or links for the one you are using?

it may be a very long shot, but have you tried swapping out the hdmi cable for a different one?

I am not having luck finding solid and recent info on this topic, though I have not been able to dive in too deeply, as I am a bit overburdened with work obligations

Comment

You are using the DVI output on the GPU? To the best of my knowledge, audio is not passed out over DVI, only HDMI. I know it works under some instances, but your card may either not pass the audio, or your adapter might not be letting it through. Also your monitor may not be expecting audio over DVI.

Your monitor may have an analog jack input for audio. In which case I would just connect that to the line on your PC sound card.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                    You are using the DVI output on the GPU? To the best of my knowledge, audio is not passed out over DVI, only HDMI. I know it works under some instances, but your card may either not pass the audio, or your adapter might not be letting it through. Also your monitor may not be expecting audio over DVI.

Your monitor may have an analog jack input for audio. In which case I would just connect that to the line on your PC sound card.
                    But there is this:
                    P.S. This output configuration works normally under Windows 10.

Comment

Working...
                    X