Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Computer shuts down hard after a minute or so when power goes out

We had a thunderstorm here and power went out momentarily and I realized something wrong with one of my machines, this led me to realize I got all my UPSes mixed up and not plugged into the right machines. I fixed all of that and while I was there wanted to make sure I have a proper auto shutdown routine.

I installed apcupsd and plugged in the USB cable and confirmed it was actually plugged into the right UPS. When power goes out now, it will shut down after only a few minutes no matter what. I don't even get any kind of warning, it just kills the machine completely. It's not the UPS shutting down, because if the USB cable is not plugged in it does not do it.

I found settings in the task bar under power and I set it to shut down when battery is low, but this is not even a proper shutdown it's doing, it completely kills the machine, and it does it too early. There is still like 20 minutes of power left on the UPS.

Is there a way to fine tune this better?

I also installed a .deb package for a Cyberpower UPS because I originally thought the machine was plugged in that one but realized I got it mixed up. This was a downloaded .deb file and not through the normal package manage so it does not show up under packages. Is there a way to remove that? I don't know the exact name of the package so can't really do an apt-get remove but don't think that would work anyway.

As a side note is there a reason the wall command does not work on this distro and is there a way to enable it? I want to add that in the UPS script so I can know it's even doing something.

EDIT: Ok so it looks like this is super flaky. It keeps losing connection for no reason and from googling it it looks like there's lot of bugs and issues with this. Not going to bother I'll just leave the USB unplugged. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth and it won't be reliable.

I eventually want to revamp my home automation system and make it more modular and I will just add sensors on all my UPSes so I can centralize the management and just have it send commands to the PCs. No need to screw around with software on each PC that way.
    Last edited by Red Squirrel; May 27, 2020, 05:18 PM.

I also installed a .deb package for a Cyberpower UPS because I originally thought the machine was plugged in that one but realized I got it mixed up. This was a downloaded .deb file and not through the normal package manage so it does not show up under packages. Is there a way to remove that? I don't know the exact name of the package so can't really do an apt-get remove but don't think that would work anyway.
    dpkg should be able to uninstall/purge the application.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Ok perfect was able to at least remove the old one. Not sure whether or not that was part of the issue though, I will need to test more when I get the chance, even with apcupsd there seems to be lot of weird oddities like it constantly losing connectivity to the ups or ignoring what I put in the config file and shutting the system down hard instead of waiting till the battery is low and doing a proper shutdown.

Comment

Working...
      X