X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] NTFS partitions suddenly became read-only

Hello guys.

The title is the exact problem. I've been using Ubuntu for a long time on my single desktop PC alongside Windows and never encountered such issue until Focal.

I encountered the same thing while using Ubuntu MATE 20.04 a while back--after using for a couple of days the NTFS partitions suddenly turned read-only. This came to my eyes while I was using qbittorrent and it suddenly reported an I/O error due to read-only file system. Now on Kubuntu I've faced this issue for the second time.

Has anyone else faced such? How should I go around it?

I only have 1 NTFS partition on my desktop computer - Windows 7.
    Every time I have mounted it with Dolphin (by hand) so far the permissions are 777 and nothing has changed since the Kubuntu 20.04 installation.

Do you use the automount settings in System Settings or entries in fstab to mount your NTFS partition(s)?
    Perhaps there something has been changed?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

If you are dual booting windows 8 or 10 with fast startup enabled it will cause this exact read only behavior. Fix: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...n-mounted.html

Comment

Windows Fast Startup and Linux have not had much of a friendship - ever.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Fast startup is not the issue here. Strangely enough, the problem seems to have solved itself (or so it seems for now).

Comment

And you didn't have to put your hand on the monitor and shout "HEAL!"

(I jokingly did that one time when responding to a clerk's complaint about my software. Her problem immediately disappeared. No joke. Probably static electricity caused it and cured it)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'll bet that did no harm to your reputation as a software designer...
              Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 29, 2020, 03:57 PM.
              Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                And you didn't have to put your hand on the monitor and shout "HEAL!"

(I jokingly did that one time when responding to a clerk's complaint about my software. Her problem immediately disappeared. No joke. Probably static electricity caused it and cured it)
                I've done sort of the "please heal, become okay" type of thing many times, on many occasions!

Comment

Working...
                X