Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

notify-send --- --urgency equals critical doesn't work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] notify-send --- --urgency equals critical doesn't work?

Looks like kdialog --passivepopup "whatever message" is the way.

According to man notify-send,

Code:
    OPTIONS
    -u, --urgency=LEVEL Specifies the urgency level (low, normal, critical).

-t, --expire-time=TIME
           The  duration,  in milliseconds, for the notification to appear on screen.  
           (Ubuntu's Notify OSD and GNOME Shell both ignore this parameter.)
    notify-send --urgency=critical "DONE"' doesn't work for me: the notification disappears after a few seconds.

I can extend the time for which the notification is on the screen with notify-send --expire-time=50000 "DONE" but I want a notification to go away only when I dismiss it. Is that possible?

My tea-timer (sudo apt install kteatime) tells me it's possible to have a notification stay visible until dismissed. Does "KDE" have its own notification system? If so, where is that info to allow users to have their own custom notifications?
    Last edited by chimak111; May 29, 2020, 03:59 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
    ... I want a notification to go away only when I dismiss it. Is that possible?
    I think it may be, because it changed some time after 18.04. In 20.04, the notification settings looks like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200528_132327.png
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	644776
    and the one set by notify-send -u critical smile persists as I'm typing this. With 18.04 notifications of any urgency didn't last long, even in the notifications applet, and I often missed them.
    Last edited by jlittle; May 29, 2020, 01:02 AM. Reason: typo
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      I think it may be, because it changed some time after 18.04. In 20.04, the notification ... set by [/console]notify-send -u critical smile[/console] persists as I'm typing this. With 18.04 notifications of any urgency didn't last long, even in the notifications applet, and I often missed them.
      Thanks! The nice thing with the 20.04 notification is a timer showing its "age" (in minutes).
      Last edited by chimak111; May 29, 2020, 03:58 AM.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
      X