KDE Connect issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Connect issues

Is anyone else using KDE Connect on their Android devices? I'm having some issues and would like to discuss them.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Discuss away, long time user with multiple devices and computers connected.

Comment

Yippee! Let me get my thoughts together, and I'll post more.

For now, can you help troubleshoot connection problems? Throughout the day, seemingly randomly, I'll lose my connection, i.e., on my phone, KDE Connect's notification will show 'not connected to any device,' instead of its desired 'connected to me@System76.'

When that happens, nothing else has lost its connection to...anything. Other apps on my phone [file managers, Termux, etc.] haven't lost their connections to that laptop, nor have any other computers on my network. So I'm at a loss.

If I press the notification, I momentarily see the 'not connected' message in KDEC, then the computer/normal options are displayed ['send files,' etc.].

Ideas?
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

What versions of the app and desktop software do you have?

Not something I have experienced myself, at least not in recent memory.
        It sort of sounds like something is putting the app to sleep, but that is just conjecture at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          What versions of the app

and desktop software do you have?
          No idea! I'll try to check that in the next day or two. Most likely, whatever version was available when I upgraded that laptop to 19.10 late last year.

It sort of sounds like something is putting the app to sleep, but that is just conjecture at the moment.
          Yeah, like a timeout setting...but I don't see any...

Comment

I find that the KDE connect app only works if my phone is "unlocked". My phone is meant to stay unlocked while it's at my home, but it's very flaky at that. Often if my phone locks itself KDE connect loses the connection.

Also, I get one shot at setting up the app's android permissions. If I don't get it right the opportunity is gone, and I have to clear the app's data and start again. I'd like KDE connect to be allowed to stop the phone locking, but I don't know if android will allow that.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

My connection problem happens regardless of what state the phone's in--even while I'm actively doing something, like typing on a forum. One minute, I'm connected, the next, I'm not.

Okay, this has had me puzzled from the get-go: screenshots of the computer, taken with the phone, are supposed to be stored on the phone--but they're not. I copied/pasted the commands found on this KDE Connect page. One glance at its 'send to phone' command explains why they're saved on the computer:

Code:
              file=/tmp/$(hostname)_$(date "+%Y%m%d_%H%M%S").png; spectacle -bo "${file}" && kdeconnect-cli -d $(kdeconnect-cli -a --id-only) --share ${file}
              Of course, the screenshot goes to the computer's /tmp directory. How do I make it save on the phone like it's supposed to? I tried a variety of pathnames...which all failed.

Comment

The command is actually run on the PC, and when run there, it does send the screenshot to the phone.

But not when called from the phone. probably a bug, or something

I don't use the command line interface, I don't have a use for it myself.

Comment

try subbing your device ID string for the $(kdeconnect-cli -a --id-only)

with -d [device id]

replace -d [device id] with the string found for your phone via the command kdeconnect-cli -a --id-only, without the brackets

You can also use any location to save the screenshot, it does not have to be tmp.

I did get this to work with mine with this, actually used the command from one phone to send to a different phone , I put the wrong ID number in lol

Don't know why the given variable does not work

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...s_compilation/

Comment

Okay, thanks @claydoh, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Yeah, I knew they could be stored anywhere on the computer as soon as I read the command, and saw that they were landing in its /tmp. But since I don't want them on the computer, I didn't care. It defeats the whole purpose if it's put on the computer, you know? The idea is to see a screenshot of the computer on the phone.

(Of course I know I can view it, on the computer, from my phone...but that's not the point.)

Comment

Here's a little update, on my connection issues.

After tinkering with various settings on my phone, including turning off Bluetooth and BT scanning, I'm no longer losing my connection. So that's great! [As long as I don't need BT for something. ]

Comment

Working...
                      X