Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] No automatic connection to WLANs with hidden SSID after upgrade to 20.04

This weekend I finally upgraded my MacBook Pro from Kubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, but unfortunately this has resulted in some minor and not so minor problems.

Not being able to automatically connect to my two WLANs with hidden SSIDs afterwards is one of them.
    Kubuntu 20.04 does automatically connect to both of them if I make the SSIDs visible in my router's settings.

What I did do:
    I wiped the Kubuntu partition of my hard drive and did a fresh, full Kubuntu 20.04 installation with third-party software for graphics and WiFi hardware. And started with an empty new /home, sweet /home.

What I did not do:
    Change any settings of my two WLANs or did anything else than in Kubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 before (as far as the settings in KDE Plasma are still the same).

Following are some infos about hardware and other stuff:

Additional drivers
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200524_043425.png
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	649643

Code:
    $ [B]inxi -N[/B]
    Network:  Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM57765 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 
    Device-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl
    Code:
    $ [B]ifconfig wlp2s0[/B]
    wlp2s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
    inet 192.168.2.200  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.2.255
    inet6 fe80::aabb:cfff:fe0d:d4e8  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
    ether a8:bb:cf:0d:d4:e8  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
    RX packets 19054  bytes 7331251 (7.3 MB)
    RX errors 0  dropped 8791  overruns 0  frame 406
    TX packets 9265  bytes 1497901 (1.4 MB)
    TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
    device interrupt 17
    Code:
    $ [B]nmcli -f autoconnect-priority,name connection[/B]
    AUTOCONNECT-PRIORITY  NAME             
    10                    Zuhause WLAN     
    20                    Zuhause Ethernet 
    0                     Zuhause WLAN 2
    Every time I automatically try to connect to one of my hidden WLANs I get:
    Code:
    $ [B]journalctl -xep err
    [/B][…]
    Mai 23 23:39:35 MBP-Kubuntu2004 wpa_supplicant[785]: [COLOR=#ff0000][B]bgscan simple: Failed to enable signal strength monitoring[/B][/COLOR]
    If I set the SSIDs to visible this error is gone and the automatic connection just works, as I said above…

Well, I know hiding SSIDs is no major security feature, but I would like to be able to do it nonetheless - as I have done for the last two decades and the "approval" of the former Kubuntus, several other operating systems, mobile phones, TVs, etc… ;-)

Any ideas how to fix this?
    Did I make a mistake or overlook something?

PS: Other than the failing autoconnect to hidden SSIDs the wireless functionality of Kubuntu 20.04 works absolutely flawlessly. :-)
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 23, 2020, 10:17 PM. Reason: typos, as usual and PS
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
    Well, I know hiding SSIDs is no major security feature...
    Many consider it an insecurity feature. I would not be surprised if Kubunutu does not support it ootb for security and privacy reasons.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Yes, you are right, of course - one could argue that it adds attention to people who will find it anyhow.
      But it did work in Kubuntu 18.04 (and KDE neon, when I tried it on the laptop some time ago) ootb - force of habit.

OK, perhaps I should not waste my time with this and pick some "neutral" names for the two networks to not provoke the neighbours… :-D
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 24, 2020, 12:24 AM. Reason: typos, as usual
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Working...
      X