Running a Broadcom BCM42143 wireless adapter on Kubuntu 20.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a Broadcom BCM42143 wireless adapter on Kubuntu 20.04

I had given up being able to use this device, which is the internal wireless adapter on my 64bit system. The driver for this does NOT work.

By chance, and not deliberately, I had turned on the eno1 adapter (that is the Ethernet port). And now the Broadcom wireless device is active and working! Wheee!

I no longer need to use an external wireless adapter to get internet connections. I'm a happy camper.

For anyone else who has this problem with the Broadcom BCM43142 wireless adapter, I found the eno1 enable toggle in the configuration settings for the Network Monitor widget which I had placed on my desktop.

I found not other locations which offer the ability to toggle eno1 on/off. It might exist, but I could not find it.

FYI
    TWP
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

That's weird, but it's good that you have it working! I'll have to remember that on.

So there's a word or two for something like that: supercal ... (blah, blah)

Anyway, it's happiness!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Three months ago, my original fix worked. It stopped working yesterday after I upgraded my kernel to ver 5.8.4 and the Linux repository no longer has the driver (BCM43142). Fortunately I have an external USB wireless which does work (TP Link 825).

So, I marked my current version of bcmwl_kernel_source as Do Not Use and rebooted.

Then I installed broadcom-sta-common, broadcom-sta-source and broadcom-sta-dkms, all from the Linux repository. Note that I also upgraded to the just released kernel ver 5.8.5.

The install did a rebuild and now my wireless works with this chip... It DOES NOT support Bluetooth, but that is no loss for me.

FYI for anyone stuck with the bcm43142 chip on their system.
      Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Aug 27, 2020, 11:52 AM.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
      X