Fan runs continuously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Fan runs continuously

Hi everyone! How's it going during this awful pandemic?

I've barely used my System76 laptop since [finally!] upgrading it late last year. [I've been using my Android devices.] But I have an ongoing problem with it--a problem it also displayed when it was running 14.04: its fan runs continuously.

As soon as I enter the room it's in, I can hear the fan running. I know who the culprit is--SeaMonkey--but I don't know why. I never figured it out on its old K version, and thought maybe, finally, upgrading everything [OS and SM], would make it go away...but it didn't.

I rely on SM not only for its browser, but as my multi-decade mail client. Therefore, the easy solution--stop using SM--really isn't an option.

I don't know what to do or try to make this stop. Any ideas? And, yes, I'm 100% sure that SM's the culprit.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Ummm, kill Seamonkey?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Ummm, kill Seamonkey?

Ha ha ha!

Hey old buddy, how are you?
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Good! Working from home these days but about to head back to the office (Tuesday).

From a Seamonkey review:

CON
        Permanent CPU usage

Seamonkey permanently uses CPU (quite a few percents on a Intel i7). On a laptop this causes the fan to run (which make noise) and the battery to lasts less time.

It doesn't appear that you have a solution. Have you tried "nice'-ing it?

Or maybe cpulimit ? https://www.tecmint.com/limit-cpu-us...cpulimit-tool/

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
          I rely on SM not only for its browser, but as my multi-decade mail client. Therefore, the easy solution--stop using SM--really isn't an option.
          Well, isn't it... really?
          You what, an SM addict? Bit masochistic, innit? ;·)

Surely there are other browsers nowadays that can do the job.
          And mail clients... and if you really have to check something with the SM thing... just do it quickly with ear plugs?
          Multi-decade mail client, indeed... Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_ooh.gif
Views:	4
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	644763

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Good! Working from home these days but about to head back to the office (Tuesday).
            Well, be careful out there. This virus is no joke.

From a Seamonkey review:

CON
            Permanent CPU usage

Seamonkey permanently uses CPU (quite a few percents on a Intel i7). On a laptop this causes the fan to run (which make noise) and the battery to lasts less time.
            Thanks. I hadn't read that before.

It doesn't appear that you have a solution. Have you tried "nice'-ing it?
            No, I haven't and, honestly, I can't recall ever using 'nice'--looks like I have some man page reading to do!

I'll take a look. Thanks, old pal!

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
              Well, isn't it... really?
              You what, an SM addict? Bit masochistic, innit? ;·)
              Yeah, I guess I am!

I love SM; I have it very customized--for example, I manually configured it for each tab to have its own color; and I'm just comfortable with it.

Surely there are other browsers nowadays that can do the job.
              And mail clients...
              Yes, of course, and I've tried some, but none pulled me away from SM.

and if you really have to check something with the SM thing... just do it quickly with ear plugs?
              Multi-decade mail client, indeed... [ATTACH=CONFIG]8904[/ATTACH]
              Ha ha! Yes, I guess I can do that, especially now that I'm barely at that computer. [I access its drives from my Android devices in bed.] But if I ever get back to a more normal life, using that laptop all day, unfortunately that won't work.

Comment

The trick DoYouKubuntu, is not to get used to a silent machine! ;-) My DIY builds have been a bit noisy, last one before this had 4 fans and really blew, this one just two fans plus CPU fan but runs kind of breezy. I just ignore it, like the ringing in my old ears, forgetaboutitOK?
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  The trick DoYouKubuntu, is not to get used to a silent machine! ;-) My DIY builds have been a bit noisy, last one before this had 4 fans and really blew, this one just two fans plus CPU fan but runs kind of breezy. I just ignore it, like the ringing in my old ears, forgetaboutitOK?
                  My old ears ring, too!

Maybe you're on to something here... If my still-to-be-tried 'nice'-ing it and other suggestions don't work, I'll take your advice!

Comment

My desktop unit has three case fans, a CPU fan, and video card fan, and it runs cool. The only time I notice the sound is when a forum topic about fan noise come up!

So cut it out
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

isn't fan noise what headphones are for?

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                        My desktop unit has three case fans, a CPU fan, and video card fan, and it runs cool. The only time I notice the sound is when a forum topic about fan noise come up!

So cut it out
                        Power of suggestion, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          isn't fan noise what headphones are for?
                          Perhaps...but...should everyone using or passing through that room put them on?

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                            Perhaps...but...should everyone using or passing through that room put them on?
                            *gasp* let someone into my lair?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              *gasp* let someone into my lair?
                              Ha! Perish the thought!

Comment

Working...
                              X