This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVidia and Linux

When a friend asked me to update his computer there were issues with his Win8 install but they were minor nuisances at most. He wanted to update to the dreadful Win10, =_= which isn't my favorite at all. I always thought he could get some advantage of Linux if he kept a second partition with Kubuntu for it looks pretty much like some Windows versions as we already know.

Here's where the thing got horrific in best case scenario. Nvidia was kind of a pain while running on Windows and I know it can be a pain as well if running any Linux OS. I was running the Ubiquity installer and thing seemed to slightly work as intended. I rebooted and opened Kubuntu 18.04 at the time and KU-RASH! The video signal got terribly messed a minute or two after logging in. Nope, there was no time to install noveau drivers nor some binaries of any sort. I discovered how the very same graphics card after a few minutes FORCES the OS to go through some drivers check, no matter if they got installed long time ago or not. Then it either makes it look slightly blurry (on Windows) or chaotic (on Kubuntu).

Do you know by chance if there's a way to stop nvidia cards to stop forcing its s/*/* of a driver loading feature on the Kubuntu and related OS's?

Nope, 18.04 nor 20.04 seem to be able to escape this drivers madness.
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
    Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

On the iso, and by default Nouveau is the 'stock' open source driver, included with the kernel. it is part of Linux, so to speak.

On 18.04 you have to manually install the third party drivers after the install

In 20.04, checking the option to install third party drivers will install the closed source nvidia drivers during the installation process, which are now included on the iso.

Other than investigating your specific video card for people with similar issues on the *buntu version you have, there is not much

FORCES the OS to go through some drivers check, no matter if they got installed long time ago or not.
    I do not know what you mean by this, or when this is happening

Comment

Well, you'd expect your OS to start loading services and drivers after you watched the logo fade away and before you can see the login screen. In worst case scenario you'd see it after logging into the OS. These Nvidia drivers or the graphics card itself seems to attempt to load or install itself a minute or two after you have logged in and rarely even before you ever get there.

As a summary: Nvidia card rejects X11 or Wayland, picks its own binaries, attempts to run based on them, and the screen starts tripping.

Really, it seriously seems to run some strange process that distorts everything.

Next time I get a chance to try Kubuntu 20 on it, I'll see if I get enough time to let it install those preincluded drivers.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
      Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
      X